North Carolina 2017

Alex-RCHS
Division: Grad
State: NC

North Carolina 2017

Post by Alex-RCHS »

I suppose It's About Time (hehe :D ) someone made a thread for NC.

The state tournament will be held on Saturday, April 22, 2017 at NC State University. Opening ceremonies and trial events will take place the day before.

Here's the state tournament website: http://www.sciencenc.com/tournament-inf ... /index.php
It has all the info you could ever need, I think.

Here are a few notes about NCSO, for those unfamiliar:
* In NC, teams are allowed 18 students at states

* For Div. B, NC is running all 23 events plus an extra event, called Duct Tape Challenge (DTC). DTC counts as a real event.

* For Div. C, NC is running 20 of the 23 nationals events, plus 4 NC only events. Specifically:
  • Hydrogeology is replaced with Codebusters
    Robot Arm is replaced with Amazing Mechatronics
    Game On is replaced with Bottle Rocket
    DTC is an additional event (It counts as a real event)
* NC has something called a National Ready Division (NRD). Each year, some of the top Div. C teams from the previous state tournament are offered the opportunity to compete in the National Ready Division. Usually, the NRD has only 4 or 5 teams. All teams competing in the NRD are given an automatic trip to states. Because of the NRD, we already have a view of how some of the top teams compare against each other.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: North Carolina 2017

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Alex-RCHS wrote: * NC has something called a National Ready Division (NRD). Each year, some of the top Div. C teams from the previous state tournament are offered the opportunity to compete in the National Ready Division. Usually, the NRD has only 4 or 5 teams. All teams competing in the NRD are given an automatic trip to states. Because of the NRD, we already have a view of how some of the top teams compare against each other.
This is an interesting concept that I didn't know NC implemented. If a team gets offered a spot in the NRD and they decline, does it go to the next team in line based on previous places?
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote: * NC has something called a National Ready Division (NRD). Each year, some of the top Div. C teams from the previous state tournament are offered the opportunity to compete in the National Ready Division. Usually, the NRD has only 4 or 5 teams. All teams competing in the NRD are given an automatic trip to states. Because of the NRD, we already have a view of how some of the top teams compare against each other.
This is an interesting concept that I didn't know NC implemented. If a team gets offered a spot in the NRD and they decline, does it go to the next team in line based on previous places?
I'm not the most qualified person to answer this, but I'm almost certain that's how it works.

This year, the NRD schools were Enloe, Raleigh Charter, NCSSM, and Smokey Mountain. Last year at states those schools placed 1st, 2nd, 4th and 9th, respectively. I have to assume that the 3rd and 5th-8th place teams turned down their offers, and it went to the next highest team.

The NRD, while unconventional, is a good idea in my opinion. 3 of the top 4 schools at states last year (Enloe, Raleigh Charter, and NCSSM) would normally compete in the Raleigh region, but instead competed in the NRD. Furthermore, 5 of the top 16 teams from last year competed in the Raleigh region this year. If those 3 NRD schools competed instead in the Raleigh Region, then you'd have 8 very high quality teams in the same region.
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

With the tournament just two days away, I'm going to make some predictions:

Div. B
1. Piedmont
2. Carnage
3. Jay M Robinson
I don't know B too well, so that's just off regionals results and history.

Div. C
1. NCSSM
2. Enloe
3. Raleigh Charter
4. East Chapel Hill
5. Smoky Mountain
6. Panther Creek
7. North Mecklenburg
8. Ardrey Kell
9. Durham Academy
10. Cardinal Gibbons

Some notes:
- The top of NC Div. C is getting packed. Aside from the big 3 teams (Enloe, NCSSM, Raleigh Charter) there are several other nascent teams (Panther Creek, Smoky Mountain). Furthermore, East Chapel Hill has been good for a while, and North Mecklenburg has the advantage of getting some kids from Piedmont (Div. B).
- Enloe has gotten first at state for 3 years in a row now, but I think NCSSM is too strong (and consistent) this year. After beating Enloe at regionals, I think that NCSSM will take states too -- but it will be close.
- Smoky Mountain had a good showing at regionals, beating Raleigh Charter (albeit by only a few points). However, I don't think Smoky Mountain will place higher than 5th at states. They are a good team, especially in building events, but their study events are lacking. I think they will win a lot of medals, but will be brought down by several (5-8) bad study events.
- After getting 12th at states last year, Panther Creek is on the rise. They are a large, affluent school that won a competitive region, so they should perform well at states. In a few years they could be a top 3 team.

One other note: this year, students are required to be accompanied by an adult AT ALL TIMES awhile on campus. Even walking to and from events. Is it like that in most states? That seems a bit ridiculous to me.
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
maxxxxx
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Post by maxxxxx »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
One other note: this year, students are required to be accompanied by an adult AT ALL TIMES awhile on campus. Even walking to and from events. Is it like that in most states? That seems a bit ridiculous to me.
I've never heard of anything like that. I understand if there's some new liability policy with the venue, but it sounds like a huge pain(and potentially very expensive) to bring enough adults so all students are accompanied at all times.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

maxxxxx wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:
I've never heard of anything like that. I understand if there's some new liability policy with the venue, but it sounds like a huge pain(and potentially very expensive) to bring enough adults so all students are accompanied at all times.

How will that work when NCSU hosts SONT 2020? I have never heard of a location requiring students to be with a chaperone at all times, but I have also never heard of Science Olympiad students causing the types of problems that are listed on the State Tournament Info web page. Crazy.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
Unome

Post by Unome »

rfscoach wrote:
maxxxxx wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:One other note: this year, students are required to be accompanied by an adult AT ALL TIMES awhile on campus. Even walking to and from events. Is it like that in most states? That seems a bit ridiculous to me.
How will that work when NCSU hosts SONT 2020? I have never heard of a location requiring students to be with a chaperone at all times, but I have also never heard of Science Olympiad students causing the types of problems that are listed on the State Tournament Info web page. Crazy.
Especially considering many teams don't have sufficient adults to do so (e.g. us). It's really strange, but at least considering the... past occurrences... it's somewhat understandable. I've heard of some rather disruptive behavior (which probably overlaps significantly with what you've heard), but nothing quite like throwing eggs at buildings.

Could be worse though, at least they haven't had their computer network go down :roll:
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

The thing is, those incidents can't be that recent. I was at states last year and we didn't hear anything about that. I hope this doesn't give NC Scioly a bad name... :oops:

Also, the egg thing might sound... less bad... if I remind everyone that NC frequently runs egg versions of bottle rocket. So at least the students didn't bring eggs for the specific purpose of throwing them at buildings.

The worst part is that 18 year old competitors can be considered chaperones for competitors under 18, but we only have one 18 year old on our team.
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Unome

Post by Unome »

If you discount Duct Tape Challenge, Piedmont did really well at state this year, almost as well as in 2015 (62 points to 57 then). I may have to modify my predictions a bit (after checking the Wright State results more closely).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

The state tournament was yesterday. Here are the results:
Div. B
1. Piedmont (106)
2. Fred J. Carnage (195)
3. Jay M. Robinson (223)
4. Wilmington Academy of Arts and Sciences (234)
5. Fairview School (333)

Div. C
1. North Carolina School of Science and Math (186)
2. William G. Enloe (196)
3. North Mecklenburg (237)
4. Ardrey Kell (296)
5. Raleigh Charter (348)

Top two from each division go to nats.

You can find the full results on the state tourney page: http://www.sciencenc.com/tournament-inf ... /index.php

For those wondering, the chaperone thing was not strictly enforced at all. There were many times where students were on campus without an adult. The thing is, the campus is so crowded that you're always within sight of a lot of other people. The only exception would be in home bases, but it's been a rule for awhile now that there must be an adult at home base at all times. I don't think anyone should worry about this at nats 2020. Its possible that this won't even be a rule at nats, since the expectations for students are so much higher. Even if it is, it wasn't a problem at all this year.

My predictions for Div. B were surprisingly good, although it really was the same result as last year.

There were a lot of interesting things for Div. C:
- NCSSM won, which I totally predicted. They medaled in 19 out of 23 events, and would have had an even larger margin of victory if not for an accident on their electric vehicle run.
- NCSSM bounced back very strong after a disappointing 4th place finish last year. Their average place last year was 13.95; this year it's 7.75.
- Enloe was good as always, but not consistent enough across the board to beat NCSSM.
- Both schools have a shot, in my opinion, at cracking the top 20 at nats. At the very least they should both be in the top 30.
- Ardrey Kell has been pretty good for awhile, but North Mecklenburg came out of nowhere to claim 3rd.
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”