Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0

Re: Hotel Costs for Invitationals

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

Raleway wrote:... then the invitational will need to ask for rooms outside of the main city.....
This is something nice for the organizers of an invitational to do but certainly not required. I know some invitationals do it as they get a commission from the hotels to help their fundraiser but I have always felt it better to negotiate the lowest price to get more people at our invitational.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

Post by dholdgreve »

Raleway wrote:I think my words were taken a little out of context... I understand my wording was not the best. I should have said the noticeable and more acclaimed invitationals are being held in higher end cities. Yes, it is possible to rent a room further out for cheaper, but the point of the survey is to understand what price point most teams can go up to. So yes, if a team can really only pay up to 75 dollars a room, then the invitational will need to ask for rooms outside of the main city. I just wanted to gauge the range of prices most teams will be willing to pay up to for hotel rooms- that's all. Sorry for the misunderstandings.
When you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you need to do is stop digging... Has anyone ever heard of the Wright State Invitational, or possible the Solon Invitational? These are 2 of the toughest competitions in the country, with most of the top 10 national contenders attending. It is not about the east coast, that is just what you happen to be familiar with.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

dholdgreve wrote:most of the top 10 national contenders attending.
Well, maybe not so much for Solon anymore - there was just Northville, Mentor, and Mason last year (I agree with your general point though).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”