3. GSMST - 70.6
4. Milton - 64.7
5. Johns Creek - 54.1
6. Northview - 46.5
7. Walton - 31.2
8. Duluth - 25.9
9. Westminster - 22.9
10. Eagles - 9.4

Others receiving votes: Alpharetta, McIntosh (6.5), Fulton Science Academy, North Springs (5.3), Augusta Area Homeschoolers (2.9), Forsyth Central, North Oconee, Northgate (2.4), River Ridge (0.6).

My predictions (hopefully I won't miss a team by as much as I did Chamblee...)

1. Brookwood – Despite several strong showings by Chattahoochee (most notably at MIT), Brookwood continues to stay ahead in-state; in addition, with history behind them, they’re likely more motivated to win.
2. Chattahoochee – Although they’ve done substantially better than Brookwood at out of state tournaments and early in the season, they tend not to do as well within the state, losing to Brookwood at regionals by a small margin.
3. GSMST – They finished in second at Brookwood invitational, but only 8 points ahead of a much weakened Chattahoochee team, and their regional score wasn’t as impressive as it should be. While they could manage to beat Chattahoochee, I’d say it’s unlikely.
4. Milton – With solid results at invitationals this year, Milton has managed to distance themselves somewhat from the teams behind them, and should be able to maintain their place in the top 5.
5. Johns Creek – Johns Creek has been doing generally better over the last few years, beating regular top ten teams at regionals this year and last year, and seemed quite a bit ahead of Duluth at regionals (and I’m sure going to MIT helped with motivation and experience), so barring a turnaround from Northview, they have a good shot at top 5.
6. Northview – Although they finished rather poorly at regionals (almost missing out on qualifying for state), Northview has been one of the most consistent teams in the state, finishing between 3rd and 6th every year since 2005. To the best of my knowledge they’ve never done this badly at regionals, but it has happened enough times with other teams (see: Chattahoochee and Chamblee Charter in 2013, and Chattahoochee in 2014) that I’m not willing to put them much lower than this.
7. Walton – Walton seems not to have changed much with the influx of Dodgen competitors, so I’ll go on the assumption that they’re the kind of team that isn’t much influenced by Div B experience (whether due to a lack of interest or other things, I’m not sure). They still did as well as usual at regionals, finishing far ahead of River Ridge, though similarly far behind Brookwood and Chattahoochee, so they’ll likely remain in the top ten.
8. Westminster – Although they didn’t qualify for state in 2015 after several years in the top ten, they bounced back last year to 12th. A strong regionals win with several gold medals is what convinced me to put them back in here.
9. Duluth – Having been in the top ten for the last four years running, they don’t look in any position to stop now, finishing 2nd and 3rd at regionals.
10. Northgate – A tough spot to pick. Eagles beat Northview at regionals rather suddenly, but Northgate beating a usual top ten team is pretty impressive, even if we have yet to see how losing Booth will affect McIntosh. I wouldn’t be surprised to see either Eagles or McIntosh anywhere in the bottom half of the top ten however.
Honorable Mentions: McIntosh High School, Eagles Home Educators.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! (here's the live medal sheet link)
No matter the outcome, I will call the day a success as I did not over buy the pizza order.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
samlan16
Division: Grad
State: GA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Georgia 2017

Post by samlan16 »

rfscoach wrote: No matter the outcome, I will call the day a success as I did not over buy the pizza order.
Yay! Always a good thing.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
d4dd7y00n
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by d4dd7y00n »

Hey Unome I think there are still B events in the C live tracker
-Your biggest fan
Unome

Post by Unome »

Discrepancy between scoreseet and announced medals in DD, probably won't change top 4 order but might move Johns Creek to 5th:

1) Brookwood (97)
2) Chattahoochee (107)
3) GSMST (137)
4) Walton (146)
5) Westminster (202)
6) McIntosh (207)
7) Johns Creek (209)
8) Northview (226)
9) Duluth (228)
10) Milton (229)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Unome

Post by Unome »

Unome wrote:Discrepancy between scoreseet and announced medals in DD, probably won't change top 4 order but might move Johns Creek to 5th:

1) Brookwood (97)
2) Chattahoochee (107)
3) GSMST (137)
4) Walton (146)
5) Westminster (202)
6) McIntosh (207)
7) Johns Creek (209)
8) Northview (226)
9) Duluth (228)
10) Milton (229)
Rather significant changes after Disease Detectives was corrected. I've included medals as well, starting from 1st at the left.

1) Brookwood (98 - 4/2/6/5)
2) Chattahoochee (105 - 6/4/4/2)
3) Walton (138 - 2/3/2/3)
4) GSMST (140 - 4/3/3/1)
5) McIntosh (195 - 2/1/0/2)
6) Westminster (200 - 0/2/0/0)
7) Johns Creek (201 - 1/1/4/0)
8) Northview (223 - 1/0/0/1)
9) Milton (229 - 0/3/1/0)
10) Lakeside (233 - 0/1/2/2)
Full Rankings

We'll probably get raw scores tomorrow (based on my memory from last year)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
CaldwellBrownies

Post by CaldwellBrownies »

Good job to all of the teams that competed at state! We didn't do too well as expected due to some last-minute team shifts in biology in building events, but overall the competition was great and Emory didn't have too many bumps as I had seen in regionals and invitationals. Best of luck to Chattahoochee and Brookwood who will be moving on to nationals!
Gwinnett School of Math, Science, and Technology

2018 events: WIDI, Astro, Remote, Helicopters
Unome

Post by Unome »

Raw scores are out! (ugh WIDI... also didn't do too well in Dynamic... but won Astro by a lot!)

I'm rather happy that my mental predictions matched the top 3 in R&M exactly :)
CaldwellBrownies wrote:Good job to all of the teams that competed at state! We didn't do too well as expected due to some last-minute team shifts in biology in building events, but overall the competition was great and Emory didn't have too many bumps as I had seen in regionals and invitationals. Best of luck to Chattahoochee and Brookwood who will be moving on to nationals!
We'll be sure to represent Georgia well - hopefully with a trophy!

/me remembers I need to be studying...
Userpage

bonysteak

Post by bonysteak »

Unome wrote: I'm rather happy that my mental predictions matched the top 3 in R&M exactly :)
Aww you had that much faith in me? :D :D
2016 National Tournament Wind Power 3rd place
(・∀・ )
BrS

Post by BrS »

I know it's been a week since State at Emory University, but I'd like to voice my concern over the scoring. I'm from Johns Creek High School, and my partner and I competed in Ecology. After the test, we felt pretty confident that we were going to place, but at the awards, our expectations failed us raising some suspicions. Though they don't return all of the tests, coincidentally we received Ecology back and saw that they had completely miscalculated our score. Instead of 80/113, we should've received a 101/113, a 21 point difference. That 21 point difference should've brought us from 13th in that event to 3rd, furthermore, boosting the entire team from 7th to 5th overall. My parents, teachers, and I have been trying reconcile this issue with Michael McCormick, the state tournament director, and Kelly Price, but both attempts were evidently futile. What angers us even more is that McCormick lied, saying he would correct the scores and mail us the medals, but he proceeded to publish the inaccurate final results onto the website. After a week of waiting and worrying, we are at a dead end, dissecting the legitimacy of the tournament and organization. At this point, it seems that changes will remain stagnant, but I thought that everyone should at least know the truth behind the scoring and lack of proactivity we've experienced.

Also, I believe Unome was also there to witness the ordeal after the awards ceremony.

Here's a link to a scanned copy of the pdf.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B84Mn0 ... sp=sharing
BrS

Post by BrS »

BrS wrote:I know it's been a week since State at Emory University, but I'd like to voice my concern over the scoring. I'm from Johns Creek High School, and my partner and I competed in Ecology. After the test, we felt pretty confident that we were going to place, but at the awards, our expectations failed us raising some suspicions. Though they don't return all of the tests, coincidentally we received Ecology back and saw that they had completely miscalculated our score. Instead of 80/113, we should've received a 101/113, a 21 point difference. That 21 point difference should've brought us from 13th in that event to 3rd, furthermore, boosting the entire team from 7th to 5th overall. My parents, teachers, and I have been trying reconcile this issue with Michael McCormick, the state tournament director, and Kelly Price, but both attempts were evidently futile. What angers us even more is that McCormick lied, saying he would correct the scores and mail us the medals, but he proceeded to publish the inaccurate final results onto the website. After a week of waiting and worrying, we are at a dead end, dissecting the legitimacy of the tournament and organization. At this point, it seems that changes will remain stagnant, but I thought that everyone should at least know the truth behind the scoring and lack of proactivity we've experienced.

Also, I believe Unome was also there to witness the ordeal after the awards ceremony.

Here's a link to a scanned copy of the pdf.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B84Mn0 ... sp=sharing
Specifics and details for deductions:
-2 for #22,
-2 for #28,
-2 for #31,
-2 for #46c,
-3 for #46d,
-1 for #48

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”