Pennsylvania 2017

JamesBondBoy
State: -

Re: Pennsylvania 2017

Postby JamesBondBoy » January 29th, 2017, 2:38 pm

Well, I'm very late to the party. Still, I'm going to give my 10 cents.

Tredyffrin-Easttown is going to be impacted tremendously impacted, last year the team was practically 2/3 rds 8th graders. (Conestoga 9th graders don't do Division B).
Additionally, looking at Rustin Invitationals 2017, T/E placed far below all the other teams from States 2016 Division B top 10 that participated. Quite frankly, I wouldn't expect to even see them at States.
Edit: Am 100% NOT a freshman, bugger off :x

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » January 31st, 2017, 7:08 pm

NEW STATE WEBSITE, LOOK HOW GLORIOUS IT IS

Looks like the webmaster is a North Pocono person; major props to my NEPA brethren! #NEPAmasterrace
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

LowEntropy
State: PA

Postby LowEntropy » January 31st, 2017, 8:57 pm

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:NEW STATE WEBSITE, LOOK HOW GLORIOUS IT IS

Looks like the webmaster is a North Pocono person; major props to my NEPA brethren! #NEPAmasterrace

Very happy to see a redesigned website, especially with the amount of information that's been added.

Does anyone know when/how they'll find state supervisors for Experiment and Mat Sci? It looks like the February 15th deadline for the test and event guidelines is coming up fast
Userpage
Bayard Rustin High School

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » February 1st, 2017, 10:41 am

pascioly.org wrote:5. Write the test (if applicable) for your event to be used at all regional tournaments.
  • In addition, prepare event supervisor guidelines on how to run your event to assist regional event supervisors.
  • The guidelines should include equipment lists, numbers of setups needed, and advice to affectively run the event.
  • If your event has a lab, include guidelines to provide uniform lab experiences for all regional tournaments (as much as possible).
  • We are looking for consistency in difficulty for the labs, not necessarily identical labs. Guidelines for test events should include additional background a regional event supervisor might need to grade your test.
  • Both the test and the event supervisor guidelines should be submitted to the state director by February 15. The state director will forward these to the regional site directors by February 22.
  • You are not required to run your event at regional tournaments, but are encouraged to do so.
  • If you travel to any regional tournament other than the one your team participates in, you will be reimbursed for travel expenses.
  • For regional tournaments that you plan to attend, please contact the regional director no later than February 1 to let him/her know that you will be there to run your event.

This is a really interesting section to me. In theory this seems like a really good idea; it'll ensure test quality and consistency throughout the state. My one concern is that if there aren't enough changes to tests, then people might share test information between regions, even though they will probably ask students specifically not to do so. Not that most Sciolyers would, but, you know....

On the other hand, every single region gets to experience a JCicc Astro test now, which is a beautiful thing.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby AlphaTauri » February 1st, 2017, 1:52 pm

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:This is a really interesting section to me. In theory this seems like a really good idea; it'll ensure test quality and consistency throughout the state. My one concern is that if there aren't enough changes to tests, then people might share test information between regions, even though they will probably ask students specifically not to do so. Not that most Sciolyers would, but, you know....

On the other hand, every single region gets to experience a JCicc Astro test now, which is a beautiful thing.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, good tests of consistent quality are always welcome, and it should definitely help to alleviate any last-minute supervisor-locating panic. However... I just don't see this working out unless all Regionals are magically on the same weekend, and I feel it also lessens opportunities for up-and-coming testwriters to gain writing experience.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » February 1st, 2017, 2:13 pm

AlphaTauri wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:This is a really interesting section to me. In theory this seems like a really good idea; it'll ensure test quality and consistency throughout the state. My one concern is that if there aren't enough changes to tests, then people might share test information between regions, even though they will probably ask students specifically not to do so. Not that most Sciolyers would, but, you know....

Personally, I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, good tests of consistent quality are always welcome, and it should definitely help to alleviate any last-minute supervisor-locating panic. However... I just don't see this working out unless all Regionals are magically on the same weekend, and I feel it also lessens opportunities for up-and-coming testwriters to gain writing experience.

That's also a valid concern, and it really just leaves invitationals as the only opportunities for new test writers. I think having a mechanism in place whereby a test writer within a certain region can request to write the test, and then the test can then be reviewed by the state event supervisor before being distributed, would be tremendous in alleviating that concern. Perhaps that's something that the state would be open to; I don't think anything's completely set in stone for the future, and the state directors have always seemed pretty reasonable and open to suggestions.

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

Shakesperd

Postby Shakesperd » February 1st, 2017, 4:13 pm

So what are all of your updated States predictions after Shady Side's Wright State performance?

maxxxxx

Postby maxxxxx » February 1st, 2017, 4:44 pm

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
AlphaTauri wrote:

That's also a valid concern, and it really just leaves invitationals as the only opportunities for new test writers. I think having a mechanism in place whereby a test writer within a certain region can request to write the test, and then the test can then be reviewed by the state event supervisor before being distributed, would be tremendous in alleviating that concern. Perhaps that's something that the state would be open to; I don't think anything's completely set in stone for the future, and the state directors have always seemed pretty reasonable and open to suggestions.

Besides the obvious risk of cheating, I think it's a great idea. Not only can competitors all experience a test from the same supervisor so they can get a feel for the format, but the supervisor can also create a test that either expands on the Regionals test or make a test with entirely different concepts and questions because they know what everyone experienced at Regionals. The new test writer problem could be an issue, but there are 4 division C and 2 division B invites hosted by PA schools where coaches must run an event, so hopefully if more schools can go to invites their coaches can get experience writing tests.

Another problem though, is that supervisors for any in-person ID events can't use rare specimens at the Regional level because there would need to be something very similar at the other regions. Of course, that could also mean that the States tests would all be really amazing at the cost of meh Regionals tests.

Shakesperd wrote:So what are all of your updated States predictions after Shady Side's Wright State performance?

I think I would give BC a higher chance of making Nationals than I had originally, but it's not enough for me to change anything until after Regionals.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017

Joycegu99

Postby Joycegu99 » February 8th, 2017, 4:51 pm

Does anyone know if the PA State Invasive list is going to be used at Regional competitions?
Harriton High School

2016-17:
UGA/Forsyth Central/Brookwood/MIT/Regionals/State/Nationals
Team Spirit (Individual): 1/3/2/14/3//
Crave the Minerals: 11/-/1/13/-/-/
Wright it Do it: 3/1/-/2/2//
Invasive Rocks: -/-/4/11/5//
Remote Planet: 8/1/-/13/1//
Picture That: 12/2/18/16/4//

maxxxxx

Postby maxxxxx » February 8th, 2017, 5:08 pm

Joycegu99 wrote:Does anyone know if the PA State Invasive list is going to be used at Regional competitions?

Although it doesn't explicitly say on the website where it says the list will be used for States, the States ES is same supervisor who wrote the test for SE Regionals last year, and that was on the PA lis,t so I think it's safe to assume the PA list will be used at Regionals. If you still want to check you can email the ES at csikich[at]pdsd[dot]org

Also I'm pretty sure someone from PASO reads through this forum so there might be a clarification on the website pretty soon.

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » February 11th, 2017, 7:09 pm

Anyone got results from Tiger today and MC Barons from last week?

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

maxxxxx

Postby maxxxxx » February 11th, 2017, 7:14 pm

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Anyone got results from Tiger today and MC Barons from last week?

Tiger Top Ten
1. WWP North
2. Columbia
3. WWP North
4. Conestoga
5. Lower Merion
6. Conestoga
7. Charter School of Wilmington
8. Northwestern Lehigh
9. Kellenberg
10. Penncrest

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » February 11th, 2017, 7:33 pm

Team Numbers for NE PA. 23 B and 28 C, pretty in line with past years. Pretty stoked to see all the Monroe County schools are signed up! (ES South/North, Pocono Mtn East/West, Stroudsburg, Pleasant Val)

Re: Tiger results, I feel like Penncrest has been a little low in a few invites this year; Rustin and Stoga actually seem like the front-runners for 2nd right now.

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

fanjiatian

Postby fanjiatian » February 12th, 2017, 8:28 am

Full scores from Tiger?

maxxxxx

Postby maxxxxx » February 12th, 2017, 10:45 am

fanjiatian wrote:Full scores from Tiger?

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”