Pennsylvania 2017

what a beauty
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pennsylvania 2017

Post by what a beauty »

So Good luck for the teams going to Nationals. You guys accomplished amazing stuff. We were so close. So me and kendreaditya are from Eagle Vie
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

By the way, I am refraining on posting results until we get some sort of update on the scoresheet to reflect the place swaps that are listed on the website. If they're not updated by the Monday before nationals, I'm just going to post the results.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Ionizer

Post by Ionizer »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:By the way, I am refraining on posting results until we get some sort of update on the scoresheet to reflect the place swaps that are listed on the website. If they're not updated by the Monday before nationals, I'm just going to post the results.
Well, it looks like it wasn't updated.
Class of 2016 Bayard Rustin High School Alumnus
State Event Supervisor
My Page
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Alright, well, since the scores have yet to be updated, here are the prediction results! The top half is listed for both divisions.

Division B
1. Anomaly - 39
2. maxxxxx - 32
3. kendreaditya - 32
4. EastStroudsburg13 - 31
5. 19sawickin - 30
6. OrigamiFlask - 30
7. Unome - 29
8. Ionizer - 28
9. Jonboyage - 27
10. RMA - 27
11. John Richardsim - 26

Anomaly was an anomaly (lol) in B division, blowing everyone else out of the water. They only missed one out of the top ten, and their picks of Hershey and Orefield at the end of the top ten really made a huge difference. Nobody picked the top 3 entirely correctly; while two placed Eagle View at 1st and four placed them at 4th, nobody had them 3rd. Congrats to Ionizer for being the only one who got Springhouse's score exactly correct. Also of note: my computer would have placed second with 33 points. This possibly confirms my suspicion that my computer is smarter than me.

Division C
1. Tom_MS - 40
2. finagle29 - 39
3. rs11 - 38
4. maxxxxx - 37
5. Unome - 37
6. hmcginny - 36
7. Goldenknight1 - 36
8. Techsam - 36
9. 19sawickin - 36
10. Lumosityfan - 35
11. allopathie - 34
12. Jonboyage - 34
13. RestingDoll - 34
14. Flyingfish - 34
15. jonpao523 - 34

Tom_MS did something quite remarkable, and predicted every single team in the top 10. Although only 3 were in the correct positions, enough of them were close that they were able to squeak out victory over finagle29, who predicted five of the top 10 exactly right. If they had replaced Central Bucks South with North Pocono, they'd have the 2-point victory. The maximum correct consecutive places at the top was 3, as finagle29, rs11, and maxxxxx all achieved this. However, all three had Conestoga at 4th, and no matter how unfortunate the scoring may have been, they still counted as 5th for predictions.

Also, nobody got the score right. The tiebreaker ended up being "who put the lowest number". JShap did correctly guess 23 medals for first place, so good job there!

And finally, what I consider the main prize for prediction superiority in Pennsylvania:

Combined
1. maxxxxx - 69
2. Unome - 66
3. 19sawickin - 66
4. EastStroudsburg13 - 64
5. rs11 - 61
6. Jonboyage - 61
7. Lumosityfan - 60
8. finagle29 - 60
9. Goldenknight1 - 56
10. Flyingfish - 55
11. Apple_Nut - 55
12. John Richardsim - 54
13. Ionizer - 54
14. Ckssv07 - 53
15. BDake - 53
16. ak12 - 51
17. RMA - 50
18. LittyWap - 41
19. Tom_MS - 40
20. Anomaly - 39

Luckily this year we had a champion who was actually from PA, as maxxxxx rode top 5 finishes in both divisions to finish first. Unome's infinite SO digestion capabilities landed him second, winning over 19sawickin on the combined first tiebreak. I came in at 4th, but my C division brought me down; despite picking 9 of the top 10 right, I messed up the order of the top 6 quite a bit. My computer was much more accurate in the top 8, but it also left off Perkiomen Valley at 10th, so that's kind of a wash there. Incidentally, my computer would have gotten 65 points in total predictions; again, I'm pretty sure it's smarter than me. rs11, Jonboyage, Lumosityfan, and finagle29 all finished in a tight pack, and then Goldenknight1 and Flyingfish snuck into the top 10, narrowly beating out Apple_Nut, Ionizer, and last year's champion John Richardsim.

Interestingly, Tom_MS and Anomaly, the champions of the two divisions, managed to sneak into the top 20 without predicting the other division; if they had just thrown in last year's top 10, Tom_MS would have placed second with 71 points and Anomaly would have placed first with 72 points, assuming they replaced Strath Haven with a team that didn't place top 10. So like I say, there is literally no risk in giving the other division a shot. ;)

I also did some analyses about if I had awarded points for near-misses: 11th, 12th, etc. I can post these in a later post so this one isn't longer than it already is.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:2. Unome - 66
Looks like Stoga in 5th plus the 8th-10th B teams threw me off a lot. Better than last year though.

Now I just have to do well on the National Prediction Contest...

/me nudges bernard
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Big congrats to Springhouse for breaking into the top 10 this year at 9th, and to Harriton for placing 2nd overall! Also congrats to Shady Side for placing 20th and Rustin for placing 21st!

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

Unome

Post by Unome »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Big congrats to Springhouse for breaking into the top 10 this year at 9th, and to Harriton for placing 2nd overall! Also congrats to Shady Side for placing 20th and Rustin for placing 21st!
Looks like Springhouse has successfully exorcised the ghost of Sewickley :)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
maxxxxx

Post by maxxxxx »

It looks like PASO is taking initiative in organizing more B division invitationals http://www.pascioly.org/index.php?p=ann ... s=b#052217

Looks like there will(hopefully) be a lot more tournaments for B division for all of the teams not next to Ohio, plus probably some teams from surrounding states.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
LittyWap
Division: C

Post by LittyWap »

maxxxxx wrote:It looks like PASO is taking initiative in organizing more B division invitationals http://www.pascioly.org/index.php?p=ann ... s=b#052217

Looks like there will(hopefully) be a lot more tournaments for B division for all of the teams not next to Ohio, plus probably some teams from surrounding states.

To get the word out, there is a chance for a Shady Side Science Olympiad tournament, most likely after our new science center is finished being built in 1-2 years. (Our older facilities would not work as well to accommodate so many teams).
Build score of 49.88/50 at Nationals!? Slacker! :evil:

Shady Side Academy Division C

Hovercraft, Thermodynamics, Chemistry Lab, Mat Sci

Big P
Unome

Post by Unome »

In four of the last six years, the third place Division C finisher at Southeast regionals has qualified for Nationals. This includes one qualification as the first place team, by Penncrest in 2014.
Userpage

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”