Pennsylvania 2017

maxxxxx
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Pennsylvania 2017

Post by maxxxxx »

Unome wrote:In four of the last six years, the third place Division C finisher at Southeast regionals has qualified for Nationals. This includes one qualification as the first place team, by Penncrest in 2014.
Also a fun fact: the one year the 4th place team from the Southeast Region qualified for Nationals(Penncrest 2006) they placed 5th, 4 places above the team that placed 1st at Regionals.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

FYI: New B Division invite at Garnet Valley.

Interesting that it's so close to Rustin but it's still another step to balance the distribution of invites in PA.

Also, any update on the C scores? Are we to assume they are final? Or are we to assume that Harriton and Hershey got 2nd and 3rd in Ecology, pushing their scores to 40 and 357, and Lower Merion got 1st, pushing them to 157? Same goes for the Electric Vehicle scores, where Wyomissing still has a 27th place finish despite not attending the state tournament.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
nendawen
Division: C

Post by nendawen »

A bunch of 2018 invitational dates have been posted at http://www.pascioly.org/invitationals

Also the regional dates have also been posted at http://www.pascioly.org/regionals
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

With confirmation of Little Tiger for 2018, I just wanted to take some stats about the locations of PA invites by region:

NE: 1 C, 0 B (formerly Comet in B and Twin Tiers in C)
CE: 1 C, 1 B (does not include Berks and EPC in C)
SE: 2 C, 2 B (includes SE Urban; formerly Harriton Festivus)
C: 1 C, 0 B (Penn State would be in C, despite being 2 hours northwest of MC Barons; provides decent access from parts of NW, SW, and NE as well)
SW: 0 C, 0 B
NW: 0 C, 0 B

Overall, there's a pretty decent spacing of invites, especially in C division. There's still a hole in the Western side of the state, since the closest invites to Pittsburgh (Solon, Kenston) are 2+ hours away, but it's a process and I know that there have been efforts to look at the potential of having a tournament in that area. Mentor is relatively accessible from the Erie area (1.5 hours), but it'd also be neat to have an invite up there somewhere. But overall PA is in good shape for now; hopefully it keeps up! :)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:With confirmation of Little Tiger for 2018, I just wanted to take some stats about the locations of PA invites by region:

NE: 1 C, 0 B (formerly Comet in B and Twin Tiers in C)
CE: 1 C, 1 B (does not include Berks and EPC in C)
SE: 2 C, 2 B (includes SE Urban; formerly Harriton Festivus)
C: 1 C, 0 B (Penn State would be in C, despite being 2 hours northwest of MC Barons; provides decent access from parts of NW, SW, and NE as well)
SW: 0 C, 0 B
NW: 0 C, 0 B

Overall, there's a pretty decent spacing of invites, especially in C division. There's still a hole in the Western side of the state, since the closest invites to Pittsburgh (Solon, Kenston) are 2+ hours away, but it's a process and I know that there have been efforts to look at the potential of having a tournament in that area. Mentor is relatively accessible from the Erie area (1.5 hours), but it'd also be neat to have an invite up there somewhere. But overall PA is in good shape for now; hopefully it keeps up! :)
Our school also goes to West Liberty-Salem. (I think it's like 2 hours from SW PA?)
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

According to Google Maps, WLS is about 4 hours from Pittsburgh; that is obviously dependent on traffic and starting location, though.

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Froggie »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:According to Google Maps, WLS is about 4 hours from Pittsburgh; that is obviously dependent on traffic and starting location, though.
Oh. Must have mistaken it for another invite. Sorry.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
maxxxxx

Post by maxxxxx »

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this yet, PA finally added a page for the Urban Initiative although it is pretty empty.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Froggie »

maxxxxx wrote:I don't think anyone else has mentioned this yet, PA finally added a page for the Urban Initiative although it is pretty empty.
Does that mean more people at states?
- Froggie
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Froggie wrote:
maxxxxx wrote:I don't think anyone else has mentioned this yet, PA finally added a page for the Urban Initiative although it is pretty empty.
Does that mean more people at states?
Probably not. As I understand it, the Southeast Urban regional is a non-state-qualifying tournament to get more urban teams into SO. Teams from here typically eventually move into the SE region (as can be seen by looking at past scoresheets - e.g. Julia R. Masterman Secondary School, which competed in the Urban Initiative in 2016 and in SE in 2017).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”