Pennsylvania 2017

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: MD

Re: Pennsylvania 2017

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » March 9th, 2017, 7:49 am

I'm the coach from Laurel (Formally Wilmington's Coach)
Here are the NW PA Results:

C Division:

1st. - North East
2nd - Seneca
3rd - NWPA Collegiate Academy
4th - Laurel

B Division:

1st - North East
2nd - Wattsburg
3rd - Wilmington
4th - Laurel

Sooooo these results changed when they sent the final results!

Division C remained the same, but Laurel and Wilmington flipped places giving Laurel 3rd and Wilmington 4th.
Oh good! That makes my B predictions a little bit better! :lol: C is still messed up with the lack of Clarion and North East completely destroying everything, haha.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

livmwhite

Postby livmwhite » March 9th, 2017, 8:32 am

C division changed as well in NWPA. NWPA Collegiate ended up taking second and Seneca taking third.

kendreaditya
Division: C
State: PA

Postby kendreaditya » March 9th, 2017, 4:39 pm

Any predictions for top 10 State Div B and Div C?

Isn't it a bit early for this especially considering competitions haven't started yet?
:)

Division C:
1. Harriton
2. Bayard Rustin
3. Penncrest
4. Conestoga
5. Shady Side
6. Stroudsburg
7. Lower Merion
8. North Pocono
9. Strath Haven
10. Northwestern Lehigh

Division B:
1. Bala Cynwyd
2. Springhouse
3. Shady Side
4. Franklin Regional
5. Strath Haven
6. Welsh Valley
7. Park Forest
8. Tredyffrin-Easttown
9. Devon Prep
10. Whitehall Coplay

After state I'm going to come back here and compare my predictions with the results :ugeek:

Edit: The S7reak!
What about eagle view they almost won some invitationals. Bala Cynwyd isn't doing that well this year, Strath Haven beat then at regionals. Nor is Shady Side. I think eagle view is going to be first at states because they have jumped form 7th at Rustain to 3rd at Little Tiger. If they would't have bombed scrambler, bottle rockets. The margin between Springhouse and Eagle View would have been very slim. Nevertheless, I am from Eagle View and I am doing Bottle Rockets and Scramble and I am sure that I won't bomb they at states. :D

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » March 9th, 2017, 4:50 pm

Isn't it a bit early for this especially considering competitions haven't started yet?

Division C:
1. Harriton
2. Bayard Rustin
3. Penncrest
4. Conestoga
5. Shady Side
6. Stroudsburg
7. Lower Merion
8. North Pocono
9. Strath Haven
10. Northwestern Lehigh

Division B:
1. Bala Cynwyd
2. Springhouse
3. Shady Side
4. Franklin Regional
5. Strath Haven
6. Welsh Valley
7. Park Forest
8. Tredyffrin-Easttown
9. Devon Prep
10. Whitehall Coplay

After state I'm going to come back here and compare my predictions with the results :ugeek:

What about eagle view they almost won some invitationals. Bala Cynwyd isn't doing that well this year, Strath Haven beat then at regionals. Nor is Shady Side. I think eagle view is going to be first at states because they have jumped form 7th at Rustain to 3rd at Little Tiger. If they would't have bombed scrambler, bottle rockets. The margin between Springhouse and Eagle View would have been very slim. Nevertheless, I am from Eagle View and I am doing Bottle Rockets and Scramble and I am sure that I won't bomb they at states. :D
...did you even read before you posted? I made those predictions in September.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

breakingankles
State: TX

Postby breakingankles » March 9th, 2017, 5:08 pm

Division C:
1. Harriton
2. Bayard Rustin
3. Penncrest
4. Conestoga
5. Shady Side
6. Stroudsburg
7. Lower Merion
8. North Pocono
9. Strath Haven
10. Northwestern Lehigh

Division B:
1. Bala Cynwyd
2. Springhouse
3. Shady Side
4. Franklin Regional
5. Strath Haven
6. Welsh Valley
7. Park Forest
8. Tredyffrin-Easttown
9. Devon Prep
10. Whitehall Coplay

...did you even read before you posted? I made those predictions in September.
It could have just been a mistake haha

Here's my predictions for PA:

(don't know anything about Division B except that Springhouse and Bala Cynwyd are pretty good)

Division C:
1. Harriton
2. Conestoga
3. Lower Merion/Bayard Rustin
4. Lower Merion/Bayard Rustin
5. Penncrest
6. Shady Side

I could almost see Lower Merion as a dark horse to make nationals, although I still think it's quite unlikely. My opinion of Bayard Rustin's strength this year is definitely not that high, especially after seeing them at Rice (I'm from Texas), but maybe they'll make it again. As of right now, I see Conestoga as the favorite for second place, especially if they can shore up some events and maintain their lead over Bayard Rustin

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » March 9th, 2017, 5:23 pm

I fed the SEPA scores into my computer algorithm, and this is what it's spitting out for me for the order of these teams.

Harriton
Bayard Rustin
Conestoga
Lower Merion
Penncrest
Central Bucks South
North Penn

Honestly, I think it's still a toss-up between Stoga and Rustin. Rustin had much better invite showings than Rice (namely, Valley Forge, Mentor, Cornell). Stoga's placing at MIT is boosted by the fact that they beat FM, which later beat Rustin at Mentor, but FM has shown pretty clear improvement over the course of the year. Maybe Stoga's the favorite for second, but they're a very slight one if anything, and Rustin is defending that spot, so I'm not really sure you can call either one the favorite.

As for Lower Merion, they're definitely intriguing. There's no recent precedence for a LM team this good, so I'm not sure how they'll finish. I do get the feeling that it'll be immensely difficult for them to overcome more experienced teams like Rustin and Stoga, but they'll probably push the limit.

In terms of full predictions, I'm going to wait until all the regions are done. B division especially is wide open after Springhouse, so it's going to be hard to make any comparisons before all regional scores are out.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

l1609288

Postby l1609288 » March 9th, 2017, 5:47 pm

I fed the SEPA scores into my computer algorithm, and this is what it's spitting out for me for the order of these teams.

Harriton
Bayard Rustin
Conestoga
Lower Merion
Penncrest
Central Bucks South
North Penn

Honestly, I think it's still a toss-up between Stoga and Rustin. Rustin had much better invite showings than Rice (namely, Valley Forge, Mentor, Cornell). Stoga's placing at MIT is boosted by the fact that they beat FM, which later beat Rustin at Mentor, but FM has shown pretty clear improvement over the course of the year. Maybe Stoga's the favorite for second, but they're a very slight one if anything, and Rustin is defending that spot, so I'm not really sure you can call either one the favorite.

As for Lower Merion, they're definitely intriguing. There's no recent precedence for a LM team this good, so I'm not sure how they'll finish. I do get the feeling that it'll be immensely difficult for them to overcome more experienced teams like Rustin and Stoga, but they'll probably push the limit.

In terms of full predictions, I'm going to wait until all the regions are done. B division especially is wide open after Springhouse, so it's going to be hard to make any comparisons before all regional scores are out.
Does your algorithm have any score predictions for States? Here's mine:
1. Harriton (~65)
2. Conestoga (~80 woo)
3. Rustin (~175)
4. Lower Merion (~220)
5. Shady Side (~240)
6. Penncrest (~250)

Ashernoel
State: IL

Postby Ashernoel » March 9th, 2017, 6:10 pm

There is a computer algorithm? How does it work??
NT '19
Harvard '23

maxxxxx

Postby maxxxxx » March 9th, 2017, 6:32 pm

There is a computer algorithm? How does it work??
I believe EAST made his own algorithm that uses scores from previous years, scores from invites, and also includes size of competition and overall competitiveness of those competitions if I'm not mistaken.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017

schist99centz

Postby schist99centz » March 9th, 2017, 6:40 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the state event supervisors this year are also writing the regionals tests for their event. So if the state event supervisor is in your region, will he/she be proctoring and grading tests in their event? Someone in SE probably knows the answer to this because many supervisors are in their region and they've already had their competition. Thanks in advance

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”