Random Human
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Southern California 2017

Post by Random Human »

beaverkid wrote:
H_zhang wrote:
beaverkid wrote:Did you medal in any of your events?
i have 6 events and 1st placed all of them
I don't believe it too.
Random Human - Proud (former) Science Olympian. 2015-2017
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet
Breaker of Towers: 16-17 Season Peak Score - 3220
Len Joeris all the way. Remember Len.
Entomology
State: CA

Post by Entomology »

San diego regionals are different--the highest score wins. That being said,
1. Carmel Valley Cosmos (306)
2. Oak Valley DaVinci (257)
3. Mesa Verde Explorer (228)
4. Black Mountain Sushi (222)
5. Carmel Valley Shockwave (212) *
6. Black Mountain Boba (193)*
7. Carmel Valley Thunder (192) *
8. Carmel Valley Galaxy (148)*
8. Oak Valley Edison (148)*
10. Carmel Valley Eclipse (147)*
11. Pacific Trails Poseidon (146)

*Placing was not announced at award ceremony because the school had a higher placing team.

Huge gap between first and second, larger than I had imagined myself. Any thoughts?
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Entomology wrote:San diego regionals are different--the highest score wins. That being said,

*Placing was not announced at award ceremony because the school had a higher placing team.
Huge gap between first and second, larger than I had imagined myself. Any thoughts?
Could you explain the scoring specifically? There's no way these scores could line up with 117 teams without their being a points cutoff.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
sandvinsd
Division: B

Post by sandvinsd »

Unome wrote:
Entomology wrote:San diego regionals are different--the highest score wins. That being said,

Could you explain the scoring specifically? There's no way these scores could line up with 117 teams without their being a points cutoff.
I don't know the actual scores, but the scoring for San Diego is as follows: There were 117 teams from 35 schools. There are 20 awards for each event. First place in each event is worth 21 points, 2nd place 20 points, etc so that 20th place is 2 points. For those participating but not earning a medal, they get 1 point. No points are awarded if a team did not participate in the event.

For team trophies, the best performing team for each school is ranked. There are up to six teams from each school, but only the top team from the school is eligible for the team trophy. I know there was a scoring issue reported after the regional which did change the standings. Black Mountain and Mesa Verde switched spots. Design 39 school also moved up to 9th, but did not qualify for state.

This is the current placing for the schools qualifying for state:

1 Carmel Valley
2 Oak Valley
3 Black Mountain
4 Mesa Verde
5 Pacific Trails
6 Meadowbrook
7 Ocean Air
8 Marshall
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

sandvinsd wrote:
Unome wrote:

I don't know the actual scores, but the scoring for San Diego is as follows: There were 117 teams from 35 schools. There are 20 awards for each event. First place in each event is worth 21 points, 2nd place 20 points, etc so that 20th place is 2 points. For those participating but not earning a medal, they get 1 point. No points are awarded if a team did not participate in the event.

For team trophies, the best performing team for each school is ranked. There are up to six teams from each school, but only the top team from the school is eligible for the team trophy. I know there was a scoring issue reported after the regional which did change the standings. Black Mountain and Mesa Verde switched spots. Design 39 school also moved up to 9th, but did not qualify for state.

1 Carmel Valley
2 Oak Valley
3 Black Mountain
4 Mesa Verde
5 Pacific Trails
6 Meadowbrook
7 Ocean Air
8 Marshall
Ok, so reverse scoring with a cutoff at 21. For others who may care, essentially 23*21 - score will give the score in the usual format (though one cannot adjust for the points cutoff without knowing raw scores).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
CVMSAvalacheStudent

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

Unome wrote:
sandvinsd wrote:
Unome wrote: Could you explain the scoring specifically? There's no way these scores could line up with 117 teams without their being a points cutoff.

1 Carmel Valley
2 Oak Valley
3 Black Mountain
4 Mesa Verde
5 Pacific Trails
6 Meadowbrook
7 Ocean Air
8 Marshall
Ok, so reverse scoring with a cutoff at 21. For others who may care, essentially 23*21 - score will give the score in the usual format (though one cannot adjust for the points cutoff without knowing raw scores).
I believe there were less than 117 teams participating.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
rgandhi2002

Post by rgandhi2002 »

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:
Unome wrote:
sandvinsd wrote:

1 Carmel Valley
2 Oak Valley
3 Black Mountain
4 Mesa Verde
5 Pacific Trails
6 Meadowbrook
7 Ocean Air
8 Marshall
Unless I'm completely confused, it looks like there were 120 teams actually. There were 117 teams at San Diego Regionals. Several of which probably didn't do all 23 events making it seem like less teams were present.
But anyway, the overall team scoring seems a bit odd as everyone beyond the top 20 seem to have gotten 1 point and the DQ'ed teams got 0 points to their total (highest total score in San Diego wins). Although from what I've looked at the ranking of the schools is pretty much the same no matter how you look at it.
always a scioly kid at heart
CVMSAvalacheStudent

rgandhi2002 wrote:
CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:
Unome wrote: Ok, so reverse scoring with a cutoff at 21. For others who may care, essentially 23*21 - score will give the score in the usual format (though one cannot adjust for the points cutoff without knowing raw scores).
Unless I'm completely confused, it looks like there were 120 teams actually. There were 117 teams at San Diego Regionals. Several of which probably didn't do all 23 events making it seem like less teams were present.
But anyway, the overall team scoring seems a bit odd as everyone beyond the top 20 seem to have gotten 1 point and the DQ'ed teams got 0 points to their total (highest total score in San Diego wins). Although from what I've looked at the ranking of the schools is pretty much the same no matter how you look at it.
Okay, now it makes sense thanks
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
Entomology

Post by Entomology »

They also messed up a little bit on scoring--the B2 tests were not graded for 3 events. Ultimately, this did not affect the teams going to state, but 2 school rankings changed. Black Mountain moved to 3rd and Design 39 moved up to 9th.
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle
CVMSAvalacheStudent

Entomology wrote:They also messed up a little bit on scoring--the B2 tests were not graded for 3 events. Ultimately, this did not affect the teams going to state, but 2 school rankings changed. Black Mountain moved to 3rd and Design 39 moved up to 9th.

So Mesa Verde got fourth. I was wondering how Torrey Hills placed and not Design 39.

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”