Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Southern California 2017

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

rgandhi2002 wrote:
CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:
Unome wrote: Ok, so reverse scoring with a cutoff at 21. For others who may care, essentially 23*21 - score will give the score in the usual format (though one cannot adjust for the points cutoff without knowing raw scores).
I believe there were less than 117 teams participating.
Unless I'm completely confused, it looks like there were 120 teams actually. There were 117 teams at San Diego Regionals. Several of which probably didn't do all 23 events making it seem like less teams were present.
But anyway, the overall team scoring seems a bit odd as everyone beyond the top 20 seem to have gotten 1 point and the DQ'ed teams got 0 points to their total (highest total score in San Diego wins). Although from what I've looked at the ranking of the schools is pretty much the same no matter how you look at it.
Why can you only have 15 students for a State team? I don't quite understand the logic.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

rgandhi2002 wrote:
CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote: I believe there were less than 117 teams participating.
Unless I'm completely confused, it looks like there were 120 teams actually. There were 117 teams at San Diego Regionals. Several of which probably didn't do all 23 events making it seem like less teams were present.
But anyway, the overall team scoring seems a bit odd as everyone beyond the top 20 seem to have gotten 1 point and the DQ'ed teams got 0 points to their total (highest total score in San Diego wins). Although from what I've looked at the ranking of the schools is pretty much the same no matter how you look at it.
Why can you only have 15 students for a State team? I don't quite understand the logic.
...because it's a national rule that the state organization hasn't changed?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Entomology

Post by Entomology »

rgandhi2002 wrote:
CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote: I believe there were less than 117 teams participating.
Two words: Tournament space.
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle
Fanglin

Post by Fanglin »

Entomology wrote:
rgandhi2002 wrote: Unless I'm completely confused, it looks like there were 120 teams actually. There were 117 teams at San Diego Regionals. Several of which probably didn't do all 23 events making it seem like less teams were present.
Well, there has always been 15 or less people on a team, regardless the tournament. Lets say you have an expansive team of 100 members, and you all attend some Invitational. You don't have a team of 100, you would take 6 teams of 15, and maybe have an incomplete team of leftovers.

The reason you're only allowed 1 team at states and nationals, is:
1. You're supposed to have the same team at both States and Nationals, which can't be big (see #3)
2. You're supposed to take only the BEST members of your team forward, which is why competition gets tougher at higher levels (as it should)
3. They don't have room at Nationals to accommodate. Currently around 121 teams attend nationals (60B, 60C, and that one from Japan). If only half of those teams brought a second team, you now have roughly 181 teams, accounting for roughly 2722 kids. (which is a lot)

Let me know If I didn't do my math correctly.
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead
smolblob
Division: B

Post by smolblob »

Fanglin wrote:
Entomology wrote:
Well, there has always been 15 or less people on a team, regardless the tournament. Lets say you have an expansive team of 100 members, and you all attend some Invitational. You don't have a team of 100, you would take 6 teams of 15, and maybe have an incomplete team of leftovers.

1. You're supposed to have the same team at both States and Nationals, which can't be big (see #3)
2. You're supposed to take only the BEST members of your team forward, which is why competition gets tougher at higher levels (as it should)
3. They don't have room at Nationals to accommodate. Currently around 121 teams attend nationals (60B, 60C, and that one from Japan). If only half of those teams brought a second team, you now have roughly 181 teams, accounting for roughly 2722 kids. (which is a lot)

there's a team from japan at nationals??
carmel valley middle school!

part-time tiktaalik
ento is my lasaga
maxxxxx
State: PA

Post by maxxxxx »

smolblob wrote:
Fanglin wrote:
Entomology wrote:

there's a team from japan at nationals??
They aren't scored with the rest of the teams but at the awards ceremony they announce what place they would've gotten in an event. Last year they would've placed 21st in Forensics IIRC.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
sandvinsd

Post by sandvinsd »

Orange County Regional Results:

1. Jeffrey Trail A (74)
2. Kraemer A (89)
3. Jeffrey Trail B (121)
4 Kraemer B (155)
5. Sierra Vista (159)
6. Cerro Villa (181)
7. Pioneer (195)
8. Oak Middle(242)
9. Fisler Elementary (242)
10 Ladera Vista (246)

Without Muscatel (or maybe even if they were around this year) it is going to be a knockdown fight in states between several schools this year:

Jeffrey Trail (#1 in OC, #6 2016 state)
Kraemer (#2 OC, #2 2016 state)
CVMS (#1 SD, #4 2016 state)
Oak Valley (#2 SD, #7 2016 state)
Mesa Verde (#4 SD, #3 last year state)
Mesa Robles (#5 2016 state)
Black Mountain (#3 SD, #8 2016 state)
Chaparral (#9 2016 state)

Predictions? Jeffrey Trail and Kraemer have performed the best at invitationals where the other schools also competed.
sandvinsd

Post by sandvinsd »

Division C Orange County Regional Results:

1. Troy 70
2. Northwood 91
3. University HS 96
4. OCHSA 149
5. Irvine 164
6. Beckman 195
7. Canyon 196
8. Valencia 197
9. Woodbridge 213
10. Portola 218

Closer than I thought it would be. Did Troy loose a bit or have the others come up? Last year Northwood and University finished 7 and 12th in the state but were right on Troy's tail in the regional. Or put another way, there are 5 schools from the LA and SD regions that were between #1 Troy and #2 Northwood in the 2016 state. Still believe that Troy will win hands down, but interesting results nonetheless.
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

sandvinsd wrote:Division C Orange County Regional Results:

1. Troy 70
2. Northwood 91
3. University HS 96
4. OCHSA 149
5. Irvine 164
6. Beckman 195
7. Canyon 196
8. Valencia 197
9. Woodbridge 213
10. Portola 218

Closer than I thought it would be. Did Troy loose a bit or have the others come up? Last year Northwood and University finished 7 and 12th in the state but were right on Troy's tail in the regional. Or put another way, there are 5 schools from the LA and SD regions that were between #1 Troy and #2 Northwood in the 2016 state. Still believe that Troy will win hands down, but interesting results nonetheless.
From what I understand some really screwy events (Remote and Hovercraft specifically)
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

sandvinsd wrote:Division C Orange County Regional Results:

1. Troy 70
2. Northwood 91
3. University HS 96
4. OCHSA 149
5. Irvine 164
6. Beckman 195
7. Canyon 196
8. Valencia 197
9. Woodbridge 213
10. Portola 218

If this was yesterday, Troy was also competing at Golden Gate (and won by a lot) so that my have something to do with it.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”