Southern California 2017

freed2003
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:00 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Southern California 2017

Postby freed2003 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:53 am

Did anyone get the microbe mission test from kraemer? All my coach got was the answer key.
Kraemer/Regionals/state
Microbe Mission 30/ /
Wright stuff 16/6/11
Dynamic planet 10/8/20(wot)
Road scholar 12/2/22(wot)
Wind power 31/1/4(wot)
Fast Facts 44//

Random Human
Member
Member
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:39 pm
Division: C
State: -
Location: Right behind you
Contact:

Re: Southern California 2017

Postby Random Human » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:04 am

Entomology wrote:I've noticed somthing funky with WIDI scores as a whole, actually...can someone let me know if its the same for them? The raw scores have a weird ranking, not sure if everyone sees this.

WIDI was dumb, there was an 8 way tye and some huge mega tiebreaker, not sure what proctor was doing. Not in the event but classmates said that test was SUPER ez
Random Human - Proud (former) Science Olympian. 2015-2017
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet
Breaker of Towers: 16-17 Season Peak Score - 3220
Len Joeris all the way. Remember Len.

User avatar
Fanglin
Member
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:36 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Offline Probably
Contact:

Re: Southern California 2017

Postby Fanglin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:25 am

Random Human wrote:
Entomology wrote:I've noticed somthing funky with WIDI scores as a whole, actually...can someone let me know if its the same for them? The raw scores have a weird ranking, not sure if everyone sees this.

WIDI was dumb, there was an 8 way tye and some huge mega tiebreaker, not sure what proctor was doing. Not in the event but classmates said that test was SUPER ez

That's similar to my situation. I was grading the road scholar tests and I had multiple large ties to break. Either most of the teams were really bad, or the test was too hard <--- which is good though. Most teams had like 5-15 points out of nearly 60, while a few outliers (big ones too) crushed everyone else. It became a real pain having to run through these massive ties, and decide who gets what place.
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3331
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Southern California 2017

Postby Unome » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:27 am

Fanglin wrote:
Random Human wrote:
Entomology wrote:I've noticed somthing funky with WIDI scores as a whole, actually...can someone let me know if its the same for them? The raw scores have a weird ranking, not sure if everyone sees this.

WIDI was dumb, there was an 8 way tye and some huge mega tiebreaker, not sure what proctor was doing. Not in the event but classmates said that test was SUPER ez

That's similar to my situation. I was grading the road scholar tests and I had multiple large ties to break. Either most of the teams were really bad, or the test was too hard <--- which is good though. Most teams had like 5-15 points out of nearly 60, while a few outliers (big ones too) crushed everyone else. It became a real pain having to run through these massive ties, and decide who gets what place.

The usual competitor -> test writer problem; every question is hard, and everyone does badly. You'll get better at creating a good spread of questions.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

ChatChat
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:25 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Southern California 2017

Postby ChatChat » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:31 pm

I have a question. Has the SoCal States Competition date been finalized?

ChatChat
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:25 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Southern California 2017

Postby ChatChat » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:38 pm

Eggo wrote:
ChatChat wrote:For Kraemer Invite, the official scores are:
1. Jeffery Trail Blue (192)
2. Kraemer 1 (195)
3. Oak Valley DaVinci (215)
4. Carmel Valley Team 2 (217)
5. Kraemer 2 (247)
6. Jeffery Trail Orange (250)

The number in parentheses are the points each team scored... Technically I guess Kraemer and JT are tied because Kraemer's Varsity lost to JT's varsity by 3 points, but JT's JV lost to Kraemer's JV by 3 points.


Very close indeed, but JT's scrambler got 45th, and yet they still got 1st. (I heard they hit their egg on the first run)


That's pretty impressive. I guess these two schools are neck and neck this year, because Kraemer 2's scrambler also got 45th (tie?), and they also broke their egg.

RiceGum
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:40 am
Division: Grad
State: MN
Contact:

Southern California Division B

Postby RiceGum » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:01 am

I think Kraemer might get first this year from last year's competition information.
Last edited by RiceGum on Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

GinKhan_31
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:00 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Southern California Division B

Postby GinKhan_31 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:56 am

RiceGum wrote:I think Kraemer might get first this year from last year's competition information.


No Jeffery Trail got first even after being DQd. Jeffrey Trail might be the next representative.

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3331
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Southern California 2017

Postby Unome » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:11 pm

Anyone here willing to go and fill out the results table on the new San Diego Regional wiki page? (I'm too busy/lazy right now)
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

bearasauras
Member
Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:33 am
State: CA
Location: Los Angeles, California
Contact:

Re: Southern California 2017

Postby bearasauras » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:15 pm

The 2017 Southern California State Science Olympiad Tournament will be on Saturday, April 8, 2017, hosted by Caltech and Polytechnic School. We are excited to be welcomed back to Caltech for the State Tournament and that Polytechnic School will be joining in co-hosting the event!

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3331
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Southern California 2017

Postby Unome » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:10 pm

bearasauras wrote:The 2017 Southern California State Science Olympiad Tournament will be on Saturday, April 8, 2017, hosted by Caltech and Polytechnic School. We are excited to be welcomed back to Caltech for the State Tournament and that Polytechnic School will be joining in co-hosting the event!

Image

Is Polytechnic there because you were short on space? (or does this mean there will be more teams?)
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

User avatar
Entomology
Member
Member
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:56 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Raven Nation
Contact:

Re: Southern California 2017

Postby Entomology » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:54 am

Anyone got top 6 from Mesa? B and C.
CCA '20 Captain
2019 Projected Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Sounds of Music, Geologic Mapping, Water Quality, Mousetrap Vehicle

User avatar
mangothecat
Member
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:16 am
Division: B
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Southern California 2017

Postby mangothecat » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:46 am

Entomology wrote:Anyone got top 6 from Mesa? B and C.

I don't know for C, but here's B:

1. Kennedy A
2. Jeffrey Trail Blue
3. Churchill A
4. Kraemer A
5. Churchill B
6. Carmel Valley A
“Cats can work out mathematically the exact place to sit that will cause most inconvenience.” ~Pam Brown
2016: Churchill, Mira Loma, Mesa/Wilson, Wicklund, Regs, States
Anat&Physio: 2/3/1/1/1/
Disease Detectives: 1/1/2/1/1/
Microbe Mission: 1/4/2/2/2/

SOPomo
Member
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:38 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Southern California 2017

Postby SOPomo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:34 am

Troy won in C but I don't have those scores.

For B:
1. Kennedy A (112)
2. Jeffrey Trail Blue (131)
3. Churchill A (146)
4. Kraemer A (190)
5. Churchill B (192)
6. Carmel Valley A (232)
7. Chaparrel A (248)
8. Kraemer B (251)
9. Jeffrey Trail Orange (264)
10. Highlands A (282)

and so on from there.

SOPomo
Member
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:38 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Southern California 2017

Postby SOPomo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:53 am

Oh C is on the back.

So the tourney ended up being 38 B and 25 C teams.

1. Troy A (67)
2. Troy B (81)
3. Diamond Bar (166)
4. Arcadia (194)
5. Clark A (213)
6. Edgewood A (225)
7. Portola (226)

and so on from there


Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest