Been thanked: 0

Re: Texas 2017

Post by kenniky »

What an upset, congrats to Clements!
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]
texas
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Post by texas »

Does anyone have the scoresheet for Div B? Thanks!
Tompkins HS Science Olympiad
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

I know Texas States is very volatile, but I wasn't expecting this big an upset... Any idea what happened?
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
yuoto

Post by yuoto »

antoine_ego wrote:I know Texas States is very volatile, but I wasn't expecting this big an upset... Any idea what happened?
Yeah... this is a big surprise. I don't know how a school can improve so much in 3 months; still, I wish them a big congratulations! Although as far as I know the schedule was not very favorable for either Seven Lakes or LASA? :?: I suppose we'll know if this was by luck or not by their performance at nationals....
y1008083
Division: B

Post by y1008083 »

varunscs11
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by varunscs11 »

I haven't posted too often this year, but Texas State is indeed very volatile. Even when LASA won MIT and Wright State in 2015, state was a nail biter in that it could've gone to any one of the teams. Clements, LASA, and Seven Lakes are all amazing teams and I have the utmost respect for members of the other two teams because I know first hand just how hard they work and how capable they are. Three months is a lot of time, and I think Adi and some other texans have echoed this sentiment, but the results of MIT and other invitationals don't hold too much influence on the results of state because in those three months, it is quite possible for major changes to happen and they always do. Just like what the Fayetteville Manlius captain said, I am sure that after MIT, Clements went all out in the next three months, putting every ounce of their energy into SciO. This is not to say that Seven Lakes or LASA didn't do the same. State isn't run as well as we'd like it to be and it is possible for any small error to result in an unfavorable placing. I can tell you that Clements, Seven Lakes, and LASA all had unfavorable schedules and dealing with those schedules is just a part of state. Also I don't think it's fair to say that Clements beat out Seven Lakes because they were lucky. Both teams clearly put in a lot of time and it's not fair to Clements to say that they just won based off of luck. And in the future, I would prefer that we not use the term "upset" because it insinuates that whatever happened on saturday should not have happened and that makes Clements' amazing performance seem like a mistake. As a graduating senior, I am extremely proud of my team as well as of Seven Lakes and Clements that have put so much into their preparation for Science Olympiad and have made me that much better by competing against me.
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage
yuoto

Post by yuoto »

varunscs11 wrote: I can tell you that Clements, Seven Lakes, and LASA all had unfavorable schedules and dealing with those schedules is just a part of state. Also I don't think it's fair to say that Clements beat out Seven Lakes because they were lucky. Both teams clearly put in a lot of time and it's not fair to Clements to say that they just won based off of luck.
..After reading my past statement, I realize how coarse it sounds. I sincerely apologize to anyone that I may have offended. It takes a lot of hard work to make it to nationals and luck is only ever a small part of it. Although! I still want to see how they do at Ohio and if there is now a new Texas superpower to take over the top 10 at nationals. I wish them the best of luck!
magic_carp

Post by magic_carp »

I took some time to look at how Seven Lakes did at MIT and Golden Gate... they got better placings in many events at those two tournaments even though the competition was much tougher. MIT had dozens of national-level teams and Golden Gate had the likes of Troy, Mira Loma, LASA, and Boca Raton, while Texas state is really just LASA, Clements, and Seven Lakes (and Tompkins recently)

For example:
Astronomy: 1st at MIT, 1st at Golden Gate, 2nd at state
Disease Detectives: 1st at MIT, 7th at state
Ecology: 4th at MIT, 5th at state
Electric Vehicle: 5th at MIT, 3rd at Golden Gate, 7th at state
Game On: 5th at MIT, 3rd at Golden Gate, 5th at state
Hovercraft: 5th at MIT, 2nd at Golden Gate, 8th at state
Hydrogeology: 3rd at MIT, 13th at state
Optics: 5th at Golden Gate, 10th at state

It seems like Seven Lakes got worse between those two tournaments and state? Or maybe the schedule was just really terrible for them. Could anyone from Seven Lakes explain what happened? I wasn't expecting something like this for sure

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”