Texas 2017

MIScioly
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Texas 2017

Post by MIScioly »

I think (?) that the rankings in the upper right are the actual rankings?
2017 Results:
Haslett | Frankenmuth | Allendale | Regionals | Michigan State
Astronomy: 3 | NC | 1 | NC | -
Hovercraft: 2 | 2 | 2 | 2 | -
Materials Science : 6 | 3 | 5 | 1 | -
Optics: 12 | 16 | 2 | 3 | -
Wind Power: 6 | 11 | NC | 2 | -
Team: 6 | Bad | 1 | 2 | - (Didn't stack teams until Allendale)
MIScioly

Post by MIScioly »

This competition is an example of why I wish the most competitive states were given 3 bids to the National tournament. It looks like Seven Lakes will miss out on Nationals when they would probably get top-10 there. It would be nice if states like California, Texas, Michigan, and Ohio, which all consistently have two teams do very well at nationals, could send 3 teams instead of 2.
2017 Results:
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Raleway »

MIScioly wrote:This competition is an example of why I wish the most competitive states were given 3 bids to the National tournament. It looks like Seven Lakes will miss out on Nationals when they would probably get top-10 there. It would be nice if states like California, Texas, Michigan, and Ohio, which all consistently have two teams do very well at nationals, could send 3 teams instead of 2.
:| This is a topic already breached far too many times haha- there are just as many teams that end up in 2nd place that do very well compared to first place (at states) and would place top ten or twenty in the nation. You could try the legacy solution that is based on previous years state's performances but giving 3 teams a state is unheard of and will probably never happen based on the philosophy we see right now from Scioly which emphasizes the best from each state, not best of the nation.
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Raleway wrote:
MIScioly wrote:This competition is an example of why I wish the most competitive states were given 3 bids to the National tournament. It looks like Seven Lakes will miss out on Nationals when they would probably get top-10 there. It would be nice if states like California, Texas, Michigan, and Ohio, which all consistently have two teams do very well at nationals, could send 3 teams instead of 2.
:| This is a topic already breached far too many times haha- there are just as many teams that end up in 2nd place that do very well compared to first place (at states) and would place top ten or twenty in the nation. You could try the legacy solution that is based on previous years state's performances but giving 3 teams a state is unheard of and will probably never happen based on the philosophy we see right now from Scioly which emphasizes the best from each state, not best of the nation.
Yeah, and the flaw with CA sending three teams is not knowing whether south or north would get an extra bid

(btw, be careful of double-posting)
Last edited by pikachu4919 on April 22nd, 2017, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
MIScioly

Post by MIScioly »

Raleway wrote:
Oh I know it'll never happen, but wouldn't it be nice? :)
2017 Results:
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

MIScioly wrote:
Raleway wrote:
Oh I know it'll never happen, but wouldn't it be nice? :)
yeah, but it might be more fair if states that already have one bid could be given the opportunity to have another rather than giving some states three bids
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

So do we know for sure Seven Lakes got third? The spreadsheet seems a little sketchy (only 1-3 is filled in); can we get confirmation from a Texan?
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
MIScioly

Post by MIScioly »

1 - LASA (67)
2 - Clements (69)
3 - Seven Lakes (104)
4 - Tompkins (142)
2017 Results:
maxxxxx
State: PA

Post by maxxxxx »

MIScioly wrote:1 - LASA (67)
2 - Clements (69)
3 - Seven Lakes (104)
4 - Tompkins (142)
Full scoresheet here thanks to Uber
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx8b_ ... FdPV2pZWEU