Michigan 2017

parasaurolophus
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Michigan 2017

Postby parasaurolophus » March 10th, 2017, 4:21 pm

I highly doubt that the decision to send 60 teams instead of 40 teams to states was based solely on an increase in the number of teams enrolled. That is an INSANE increase, and one that certainly wouldn't come in just 1 year..
It was an increase from 48 to 60, so it's not quite that big. My guess is that it was done to help smaller regions. For example, the region with Ann Arbor Huron and Saline High School only has 6 or 7 C teams, so in the past they only sent one team to States. However, both of those teams would place in the top-10 at States if they went.
Now that makes a lot more sense. I think there was a miscommunication between my coach and I with the 40 ~ 48 teams thing!

It's good that they did this though. I know both Ann Arbror Huron and Saline were decent so its good that they both get the chance to go. This tells me that it's not solely about an increase an enrollment though, but also about representing more teams that deserve the chance to go to states. States is gonna be jam packed this year though..
2017 MI State Champion of Chemistry Lab
2016 MI State Champion of Fossils

Past events: Chemistry Lab, Electric Vehicle, Materials Science, Robot Arm, Bridge Building, Fossils, Disease Detectives

Proud 2016-2017 Co-Captain of the IA Central Gnomes

MIScioly

Postby MIScioly » March 10th, 2017, 4:39 pm

I highly doubt that the decision to send 60 teams instead of 40 teams to states was based solely on an increase in the number of teams enrolled. That is an INSANE increase, and one that certainly wouldn't come in just 1 year..
It was an increase from 48 to 60, so it's not quite that big. My guess is that it was done to help smaller regions. For example, the region with Ann Arbor Huron and Saline High School only has 6 or 7 C teams, so in the past they only sent one team to States. However, both of those teams would place in the top-10 at States if they went.
Now that makes a lot more sense. I think there was a miscommunication between my coach and I with the 40 ~ 48 teams thing!

It's good that they did this though. I know both Ann Arbror Huron and Saline were decent so its good that they both get the chance to go. This tells me that it's not solely about an increase an enrollment though, but also about representing more teams that deserve the chance to go to states. States is gonna be jam packed this year though..
Indeed it will - as if those medals weren't hard enough to get already!
2017 Results:
Haslett | Frankenmuth | Allendale | Regionals | Michigan State
Astronomy: 3 | NC | 1 | NC | -
Hovercraft: 2 | 2 | 2 | 2 | -
Materials Science : 6 | 3 | 5 | 1 | -
Optics: 12 | 16 | 2 | 3 | -
Wind Power: 6 | 11 | NC | 2 | -
Team: 6 | Bad | 1 | 2 | - (Didn't stack teams until Allendale)

John Richardsim
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Division: Grad

Postby John Richardsim » March 10th, 2017, 5:47 pm

Funny story about Huron: apparently last year someone on their team came to states as a spectator. A teammate of mine was talking to them at the career expo thingy and they mentioned how they missed states with region 9 falling to only one bid and all that. My teammate was like like "yeah, I heard about that," and the Huron person was like "wait, really? How?" and my teammate was like "well, we have this one kid on our team..." (me...I'm the one kid...gotta love enthusing about SO around the state!).

Also, on the topic of 60 teams per division at states, I still wonder where awards are going to be...(just imagine trying to get 4 more teams in the auditorium, let alone 24...)
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

dcambrid

Postby dcambrid » March 10th, 2017, 5:58 pm

Funny story about Huron: apparently last year someone on their team came to states as a spectator. A teammate of mine was talking to them at the career expo thingy and they mentioned how they missed states with region 9 falling to only one bid and all that. My teammate was like like "yeah, I heard about that," and the Huron person was like "wait, really? How?" and my teammate was like "well, we have this one kid on our team..." (me...I'm the one kid...gotta love enthusing about SO around the state!).

Also, on the topic of 60 teams per division at states, I still wonder where awards are going to be...(just imagine trying to get 4 more teams in the auditorium, let alone 24...)
One of our coaches asked about the awards and the answer we got is they will be in the same auditorium as always. That means some teams will sit in the balcony. I guess the family and friends will sit outside. I don't see how it is going to work.

John Richardsim
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Postby John Richardsim » March 10th, 2017, 6:25 pm

One of our coaches asked about the awards and the answer we got is they will be in the same auditorium as always. That means some teams will sit in the balcony. I guess the family and friends will sit outside. I don't see how it is going to work.
...wow...

I guess I ought to tell my parents that they're going to have to camp outside the auditorium to get a spot like it's Black Friday or something.

MIScioly

Postby MIScioly » March 10th, 2017, 6:30 pm

The auditorium is bad enough as it is with 48 teams from each division. I think it averages 100 degrees in there.
2017 Results:
Haslett | Frankenmuth | Allendale | Regionals | Michigan State
Astronomy: 3 | NC | 1 | NC | -
Hovercraft: 2 | 2 | 2 | 2 | -
Materials Science : 6 | 3 | 5 | 1 | -
Optics: 12 | 16 | 2 | 3 | -
Wind Power: 6 | 11 | NC | 2 | -
Team: 6 | Bad | 1 | 2 | - (Didn't stack teams until Allendale)

John Richardsim
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Postby John Richardsim » March 11th, 2017, 4:55 pm

Region 8 Results:

Division B:
1. Meads Mill (55)
2. Hillside (66)
3. Canton Charter Academy (102)
4. Plymouth East (139)
5. South Canton Scholars (163)
6. Liberty (190)

Division C:
1. Northville (44)
2. Canton (65)
3. Salem (74)
4. Plymouth (102)
5. Mason (181)
6. Grosse Ile (195)

Top 6 in B and top 4 in C qualify.

Scoresheet

jaguarhunter

Postby jaguarhunter » March 11th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Plenty of impressive results from teams at invitationals and regionals thus far. States should be extremely exciting and contested!

AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Postby AlphaTauri » March 12th, 2017, 11:43 am

Helping out with MI scioly this year was a great experience as always :) I may be at States as well, but it will depend on my finals schedule and summer arrangements.

Also, I will be uploading all the tests I wrote once all Regionals are over.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

John Richardsim
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Postby John Richardsim » March 13th, 2017, 1:30 pm

Got some results from my coach:

Region 2