Michigan 2017

MIScioly
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Michigan 2017

Post by MIScioly »

As far as I can tell, the only advantage to a lower number is that you sit closer to the front at the awards ceremony.

Anyone making any predictions for States?
2017 Results:
Haslett | Frankenmuth | Allendale | Regionals | Michigan State
Astronomy: 3 | NC | 1 | NC | -
Hovercraft: 2 | 2 | 2 | 2 | -
Materials Science : 6 | 3 | 5 | 1 | -
Optics: 12 | 16 | 2 | 3 | -
Wind Power: 6 | 11 | NC | 2 | -
Team: 6 | Bad | 1 | 2 | - (Didn't stack teams until Allendale)
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by John Richardsim »

MIScioly wrote:As far as I can tell, the only advantage to a lower number is that you sit closer to the front at the awards ceremony.

Funny you say that; apparently there was thought of specifically assigning seating in the auditorium to have teams which are more likely to get a lot of medals closer to the front. If this did go through, I'm guessing that the seating assignments won't just follow team number (I love Region 1 and all, but they probably aren't going to be getting the most medals).

And predictions? God no! Please! You can't make me!
MIScioly

Post by MIScioly »

John Richardsim wrote:
MIScioly wrote:As far as I can tell, the only advantage to a lower number is that you sit closer to the front at the awards ceremony.

Funny you say that; apparently there was thought of specifically assigning seating in the auditorium to have teams which are more likely to get a lot of medals closer to the front. If this did go through, I'm guessing that the seating assignments won't just follow team number (I love Region 1 and all, but they probably aren't going to be getting the most medals).

It makes sense to do that. My guess is that this is how they did it: by having the best teams from each region with lower team numbers. I'm betting that they still do it in order of team number. It is better than the old system I guess, but I think Grand Rapids Christian, Allendale and Plymouth Christian from Region 12 will get several medals, and they are in the 50s for team number.

As far as predictions, that's why I asked without providing any ;) I think it is really hard to predict this year. I do think I have a good bet on the top 6 though, with Northville, Troy, DCD, Grand Haven, Forest Hills Central, and IA Central. But don't make me put them in order :)
2017 Results:
Ashernoel
State: IL

Post by Ashernoel »

MIScioly wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:

It makes sense to do that. My guess is that this is how they did it: by having the best teams from each region with lower team numbers. I'm betting that they still do it in order of team number. It is better than the old system I guess, but I think Grand Rapids Christian, Allendale and Plymouth Christian from Region 12 will get several medals, and they are in the 50s for team number.

As far as predictions, that's why I asked without providing any ;) I think it is really hard to predict this year. I do think I have a good bet on the top 6 though, with Northville, Troy, DCD, Grand Haven, Forest Hills Central, and IA Central. But don't make me put them in order :)
Good luck in hover! Hopefully you can break the second place trend and get the W
NT '19
Harvard '23
meierfra
Coach
Coach

Post by meierfra »

MIScioly wrote:I still don't know how they will fit all of the teams in the auditorium at MSU.
Well, now we know. The teams numbered 50 and above, for both B and C, will be seated in the balcony. That's fine for some regions but schools from the strong regions will medal.
MIScioly

Post by MIScioly »

meierfra wrote:
MIScioly wrote:I still don't know how they will fit all of the teams in the auditorium at MSU.
Well, now we know. The teams numbered 50 and above, for both B and C, will be seated in the balcony. That's fine for some regions but schools from the strong regions will medal.
Yeah, they shouldn't have put some of the teams from stronger regions up there. For example, from Region 12, I can basically guarantee that Allendale, Grand Rapids Christian, and Plymouth Christian will all get medals, probably multiple medals.
2017 Results:
John Richardsim

MIScioly wrote:I've been wondering if they will give out more awards this year since there are more teams. Maybe 8 medals per event instead of 6?
Apparently it is 8.
MIScioly

Post by MIScioly »

John Richardsim wrote:
MIScioly wrote:I've been wondering if they will give out more awards this year since there are more teams. Maybe 8 medals per event instead of 6?
Apparently it is 8.
Really? Where did you hear that?
2017 Results:
John Richardsim

MIScioly wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:
Apparently it is 8.
Our head coach.
MIScioly

Post by MIScioly »

John Richardsim wrote:
MIScioly wrote:
John Richardsim wrote: Apparently it is 8.
Our head coach.
I guess I'm both surprised and not surprised. States has always been 6 medals - then again, States had also always been 48 teams. It's always nice to have more awards, I guess :)
2017 Results:

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”