Michigan 2017

trentomology1999
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Michigan 2017

Postby trentomology1999 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:40 am

MIScioly wrote:I've been wondering if they will give out more awards this year since there are more teams. Maybe 8 medals per event instead of 6?

I think they'll keep it to 6 places. Nationals only give out 6 medals per event and invite 60 teams per division too.
2017 Season
WOSO/Regionals/State/Nationals
Astronomy: 3/2/ /
Dynamic: 1/6/ /
Hydrogeology: 1/1/ /
Remote Sensing: 1/1/ /
Rocks and Mins: 1/1/ /
Team: 4,5/1/ /
Go Grand Haven!!

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:35 am

AlphaTauri wrote:Also, I will be uploading all the tests I wrote once all Regionals are over.

Sorry to bother but can you please do this? Your Astronomy test was my favorite from last year :D (well besides nats but that's hard to beat).
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

"My sunset, and sunset for humanity."

MIScioly

Postby MIScioly » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:49 am

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
AlphaTauri wrote:Also, I will be uploading all the tests I wrote once all Regionals are over.

Sorry to bother but can you please do this? Your Astronomy test was my favorite from last year :D (well besides nats but that's hard to beat).

I believe his test is on the test exchange on the wiki, last I checked. There's one for Astro and one for Reach for the Stars.
2017 Results:
Haslett | Frankenmuth | Allendale | Regionals | Michigan State
Astronomy: 3 | NC | 1 | NC | -
Hovercraft: 2 | 2 | 2 | 2 | -
Materials Science : 6 | 3 | 5 | 1 | -
Optics: 12 | 16 | 2 | 3 | -
Wind Power: 6 | 11 | NC | 2 | -
Team: 6 | Bad | 1 | 2 | - (Didn't stack teams until Allendale)

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:03 am

MIScioly wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:

I believe his her test is on the test exchange on the wiki, last I checked. There's one for Astro and one for Reach for the Stars.

Yeah, the Astro test is still there (by the way general note for those who can't find the wiki-based test exchange, just click on the links next to each event on the wiki main page).

Speaking of which, I need to take the Astro test sometime.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

MIScioly

Postby MIScioly » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:25 am

Just out of curiosity, AlphaTauri, can you tell us what the maximum score on your Astronomy test is? I understand if you aren't allowed to tell, though :)
2017 Results:

MIScioly

Postby MIScioly » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:26 am

MIScioly wrote:Just out of curiosity, AlphaTauri, can you tell us what the maximum score on your Astronomy test is? I understand if you aren't allowed to tell, though :)

I mean what the maximum score was at the Region 8 competition***
2017 Results:

AlphaTauri
State: PA

Postby AlphaTauri » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:45 am

They are indeed on the wiki! I think I forgot to make a post when I uploaded them.

I don't recall the high scores, sorry...
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

MIScioly

Postby MIScioly » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:16 pm

The list of team numbers is on the State website. Interestingly, it looks like teams are grouped by region - in groups of 3 - in the order that they placed at regionals this year, instead of random assignment. For example, in Region 12, Grand Haven is C32, Forest Hills Central is C33, West Ottawa is C34, Plymouth Christian is C53, Grand Rapids Christian is C54, and Allendale is C55. I guess the purpose of this would be to give teams that finished stronger in their respective regions lower team numbers?

I still don't know how they will fit all of the teams in the auditorium at MSU.
2017 Results:

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Interestingly, this is how Pennsylvania numbered teams until this year, when they randomized it. I assume that the previous numbering scheme was simply for organizational purposes. It did make it easier to tell which teams placed where when looking at past states scoresheets.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

meierfra

Postby meierfra » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:07 pm

MIScioly wrote:The list of team numbers is on the State website. Interestingly, it looks like teams are grouped by region - in groups of 3 - in the order that they placed at regionals this year, instead of random assignment. For example, in Region 12, Grand Haven is C32, Forest Hills Central is C33, West Ottawa is C34, Plymouth Christian is C53, Grand Rapids Christian is C54, and Allendale is C55. I guess the purpose of this would be to give teams that finished stronger in their respective regions lower team numbers?

I still don't know how they will fit all of the teams in the auditorium at MSU.

I don't see how a lower team number is an advantage.

It seems to be groups of 3 depending on how many are participating from your region. Region 11 got 4 bids this year and are numbered C29, C30, C31 and C52.

The numbers weren't assigned randomly in the past. I was talking with someone last year and they were talking about how the state actively tried to balance the groups; that they tried to make sure that no one would be in the same group with someone from their region and a number of other factors.

MIScioly

Postby MIScioly » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:59 am

As far as I can tell, the only advantage to a lower number is that you sit closer to the front at the awards ceremony.

Anyone making any predictions for States?
2017 Results:

John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod

Postby John Richardsim » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:34 am

MIScioly wrote:As far as I can tell, the only advantage to a lower number is that you sit closer to the front at the awards ceremony.

Funny you say that; apparently there was thought of specifically assigning seating in the auditorium to have teams which are more likely to get a lot of medals closer to the front. If this did go through, I'm guessing that the seating assignments won't just follow team number (I love Region 1 and all, but they probably aren't going to be getting the most medals).

And predictions? God no! Please! You can't make me!
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

MIScioly

Postby MIScioly » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:42 am

John Richardsim wrote:
MIScioly wrote:As far as I can tell, the only advantage to a lower number is that you sit closer to the front at the awards ceremony.

Funny you say that; apparently there was thought of specifically assigning seating in the auditorium to have teams which are more likely to get a lot of medals closer to the front. If this did go through, I'm guessing that the seating assignments won't just follow team number (I love Region 1 and all, but they probably aren't going to be getting the most medals).

It makes sense to do that. My guess is that this is how they did it: by having the best teams from each region with lower team numbers. I'm betting that they still do it in order of team number. It is better than the old system I guess, but I think Grand Rapids Christian, Allendale and Plymouth Christian from Region 12 will get several medals, and they are in the 50s for team number.

As far as predictions, that's why I asked without providing any ;) I think it is really hard to predict this year. I do think I have a good bet on the top 6 though, with Northville, Troy, DCD, Grand Haven, Forest Hills Central, and IA Central. But don't make me put them in order :)
2017 Results:

Ashernoel
State: IL

Postby Ashernoel » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:42 am

MIScioly wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:

It makes sense to do that. My guess is that this is how they did it: by having the best teams from each region with lower team numbers. I'm betting that they still do it in order of team number. It is better than the old system I guess, but I think Grand Rapids Christian, Allendale and Plymouth Christian from Region 12 will get several medals, and they are in the 50s for team number.

As far as predictions, that's why I asked without providing any ;) I think it is really hard to predict this year. I do think I have a good bet on the top 6 though, with Northville, Troy, DCD, Grand Haven, Forest Hills Central, and IA Central. But don't make me put them in order :)

Good luck in hover! Hopefully you can break the second place trend and get the W
NT 2019

meierfra

Postby meierfra » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:44 pm

MIScioly wrote:I still don't know how they will fit all of the teams in the auditorium at MSU.

Well, now we know. The teams numbered 50 and above, for both B and C, will be seated in the balcony. That's fine for some regions but schools from the strong regions will medal.

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”