New York 2017

4Head
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2017

Post by 4Head »

lumosityfan wrote:
ThatCity wrote:"Wow, this was unexpected, right? Wasn't everybody expecting a weak showing from FM?"

No. F-M has never had a weak showing during this century. They have been 1st, 2nd or 3rd since 1999. In 19 years they missed going to States exactly once. And that year they missed states by fewer than 10 points. No other New York team has been as strong as consistently. Anyone expecting a "weak showing" doesn't know F-M.
While I don't think people thought FM was "weak" (indeed, even during invies they were pretty good), I think the reason people thought FM would not be good was because of their invies performance. Relative to previous years (and I could be wrong), FM had not been doing that well in invies. In addition, Columbia, WM, and even to an extent GNS had been doing pretty well at invies as well. Thus, why people might have thought FM would not make nationals is not as far-fetched as you may think. Besides, who thought Solon would not make nationals in 2015 after their 3-peat? Things in Scioly change faster than you think.
Yeah that was what I was getting at, their less than stellar invite performances.
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

There was another reason why some people were skeptical about FM, I think. They had a coach change a few years ago, and while they stayed in the top three since then they had been #1 for something like ten straight years under the old coach, and #2 for five years before that. There have been other schools for which a coach change has set off a gradual slide, and I think some people wondering if that would happen at FM. Or maybe that was just me!
GneissGuy17

Post by GneissGuy17 »

Congrats to FM and Columbia! Wow, HHHE didn't perform as well as I had expected. But props to Spack for getting 5th. How'd that happen? Great job to everyone though.
Mastercheese77
Division: B

Post by Mastercheese77 »

Captain from FM here and long time lurker.

This year has been a pigeon of a ride. I agree with the posts about our MIT results and how they were subpar -- we were shocked by them too. Our builds just simply weren't ready then. Especially in comparison to how well Columbia and Ward Melville did, we knew we had to step up our game. We faced our results head on and worked our butts off in the next two months to get to where we are now. The improvements we've made and the results we achieved at regionals, Mentor, and UPenn shows what can happen with strategic and efficient effort. I'm extremely proud of our team for their dedication and resilience they've displayed thus far.

I don't mean to sound braggy here -- in fact the opposite. I truly believe any team can win states if they're dedicated enough and manage their time well. After all, we are just 15 motivated kids who have grown close to one another through marathon practices and team karaoke nights.

We are very excited to be going to Dayton and we know how fortunate we are to be able to go to nationals. New York State has such intense competition and we are extremely proud to have the opportunity to represent this state along with Columbia.
Regionals/States/Nationals
2012: 2013:
Mission Possible 1/1/36 Mission Possible 1/3/29
Optics 1/1/24 Reach 1/1/8
Reach 1/1/12 Road 1/2/3
Road Scholar 1/1/1 Shock Value 1/1/6
columbiascioly

Post by columbiascioly »

Mastercheese77 wrote:Captain from FM here and long time lurker.

This year has been a pigeon of a ride. I agree with the posts about our MIT results and how they were subpar -- we were shocked by them too. Our builds just simply weren't ready then. Especially in comparison to how well Columbia and Ward Melville did, we knew we had to step up our game. We faced our results head on and worked our butts off in the next two months to get to where we are now. The improvements we've made and the results we achieved at regionals, Mentor, and UPenn shows what can happen with strategic and efficient effort. I'm extremely proud of our team for their dedication and resilience they've displayed thus far.

I don't mean to sound braggy here -- in fact the opposite. I truly believe any team can win states if they're dedicated enough and manage their time well. After all, we are just 15 motivated kids who have grown close to one another through marathon practices and team karaoke nights.

We are very excited to be going to Dayton and we know how fortunate we are to be able to go to nationals. New York State has such intense competition and we are extremely proud to have the opportunity to represent this state along with Columbia.

Hey FM!

Just wanted to say congrats again on State Champion! You guys are amazing and we can't wait to represent NY with you guys at Nationals. One of my teammates showed me your post, particularly the part about team karaoke nights since we do the same thing. We'd love to karaoke together at Nationals.

See you in Dayton,

Columbia :D
Mastercheese77

Post by Mastercheese77 »

columbiascioly wrote:
Mastercheese77 wrote:Captain from FM here and long time lurker.

Hey FM!

Just wanted to say congrats again on State Champion! You guys are amazing and we can't wait to represent NY with you guys at Nationals. One of my teammates showed me your post, particularly the part about team karaoke nights since we do the same thing. We'd love to karaoke together at Nationals.

See you in Dayton,

Columbia :D
Oh hey! I can't wait! I just PMed you.
Regionals/States/Nationals
2012: 2013:
Mission Possible 1/1/36 Mission Possible 1/3/29
Optics 1/1/24 Reach 1/1/8
Reach 1/1/12 Road 1/2/3
Road Scholar 1/1/1 Shock Value 1/1/6
PandaDevs

Post by PandaDevs »

<snip>
Last edited by PandaDevs on March 13th, 2017, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Food Scientist, Optical Illusionist, Road Scholar, Scrambler Chef
(Excuse my puniness)

I'm a freelance Java developer!
SPP SciO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

PandaDevs wrote:CORRECTION:
Apparently, my coach received a notice that Bay Academy was caught switching members between their three teams, which disqualifies them from the competition.
The new rankings are:
Sunset Park
Hawthorne
Buckley
Brooklyn Amity
(maybe Horace Mann?)

Unfortunate for Bay Academy to do such things.
Umm - seems a little unlikely, considering the colored wristband procedure etc, plus the sheer foolishness of it. I can confirm that I did not receive any such email, which I'm sure I would have, if this were true. I advise taking this with a grain of salt.
Last edited by Schrodingerscat on March 13th, 2017, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added strikethrough of quote to mark as proven false
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
NYCBCoord

Post by NYCBCoord »

I am the Coordinator of the New York City B Regional competition. The assertion you are making, PandaDevs, is totally untrue. There was NO mix-up amongst Bay Academy's three teams. I never sent an email to the coaches saying that there was any such occurrence. You've just made it all up, and by doing so, have displayed unacceptable Science Olympiad behavior, and negated the Code of Conduct form which you signed. Looking at your profile makes it clear who you are, and I have been in touch with your Coach (and the State Director) about this behavior. I would suggest an apology as an appropriate first step.

Alice Kasten
NYC B Regional Coordinator
schist99centz
Division: C
State: PA

Post by schist99centz »

:oops:

I'm assuming raw scores for builds will not be released?

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”