New York 2017

gmui
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2017

Post by gmui »

CNYSciOlyGuy wrote:Does anyone have a list of all the teams that qualified for C division states?
Here's the Room Assignment list that has all the teams:
http://www.newyorkscioly.org/wp-content ... tates-.pdf
4Head
Division: C

Post by 4Head »

chaguy2457 wrote:State Results

1. Fayetteville-Manlius
2. Columbia
3. Ward Melville
4. Great Neck South
5. Spackenkill
6. The Mount Academy
7. Townsend Harris
8. Syosset
9. Williamsville East
10. Stuyvesant

Fayetteville-Manlius and Columbia reach the National tournament.
Wow, this was unexpected, right? Wasn't everybody expecting a weak showing from FM?
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
Piggy

Post by Piggy »

Last edited by Piggy on March 11th, 2017, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThatCity

Post by ThatCity »

"Wow, this was unexpected, right? Wasn't everybody expecting a weak showing from FM?"

No. F-M has never had a weak showing during this century. They have been 1st, 2nd or 3rd since 1999. In 19 years they missed going to States exactly once. And that year they missed states by fewer than 10 points. No other New York team has been as strong as consistently. Anyone expecting a "weak showing" doesn't know F-M.
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by lumosityfan »

ThatCity wrote:"Wow, this was unexpected, right? Wasn't everybody expecting a weak showing from FM?"

No. F-M has never had a weak showing during this century. They have been 1st, 2nd or 3rd since 1999. In 19 years they missed going to States exactly once. And that year they missed states by fewer than 10 points. No other New York team has been as strong as consistently. Anyone expecting a "weak showing" doesn't know F-M.
While I don't think people thought FM was "weak" (indeed, even during invies they were pretty good), I think the reason people thought FM would not be good was because of their invies performance. Relative to previous years (and I could be wrong), FM had not been doing that well in invies. In addition, Columbia, WM, and even to an extent GNS had been doing pretty well at invies as well. Thus, why people might have thought FM would not make nationals is not as far-fetched as you may think. Besides, who thought Solon would not make nationals in 2015 after their 3-peat? Things in Scioly change faster than you think.
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
BuildingFriend
State: DC

Post by BuildingFriend »

If anything, we see how strong WM is. Unfortunately, three of their builds failed (I talked to their builder and they were all unforeseeable unfortunate circumstances), and yet, they still placed third. Although their big builder (EV/Heli/RA) leaves next year, they will still have a very strong showing next year in my opinion.

[EDIT] Oops I misread everyone saying FM as WM (but what I said about WM still stands)
Last edited by BuildingFriend on March 11th, 2017, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fermilicious
Trumpets

Post by Trumpets »

Great job to FM and Columbia!
I forgot my old account whoops :cry:
chaguy2457

Post by chaguy2457 »

Anyone know where Brighton's extra point came from? Their event places add up to 613 but the scoresheet says they got 614.
Captain

Bold indicates main event
2016 Events: Disease Detectives, Dynamic Planet, Forensics, Fossils, Game On, Green Generation, It's About Time
Medal Count: 3

2017 Events: Experimental Design, Game On, Hovercraft, Rocks and Minerals, Herpetology, Wind Power
Medal Count: 3
yang573

Post by yang573 »

4Head wrote:Wow, this was unexpected, right? Wasn't everybody expecting a weak showing from FM?
Nope. F-M has been practicing since the summer, after they missed going to nationals last year. I've also heard that they saved some of their better builds during invys. The 60 point lead clearly shows it,
So much to do, so little time.
Private Wang Fire
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by Private Wang Fire »

Not sure if anyone has already posted it, but results are up on Ezra:

https://www.ezratech.us/competition/new ... es/results
MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”