Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA
Has thanked: 0

Wright State Invitational

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

Discussion thread for the Wright State Invitational held on January 28, 2017 at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio.

So I've heard this is one of the most competitive invites out there, especially for the midwest. But I looked at the registration sheet, and from that it looks like the attending teams write the tests and run the events, just like other invites. I know they have competitive teams attending (Solon, Carmel, Centerville) but does it really live up to its competitiveness in other aspects? Are any of the events run by nationals supervisors, considering this will be where nationals is held?
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
chalker
State: OH

Re: Wright State Invitational

Post by chalker »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:Discussion thread for the Wright State Invitational held on January 28, 2017 at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio.

So I've heard this is one of the most competitive invites out there, especially for the midwest. But I looked at the registration sheet, and from that it looks like the attending teams write the tests and run the events, just like other invites. I know they have competitive teams attending (Solon, Carmel, Centerville) but does it really live up to its competitiveness in other aspects? Are any of the events run by nationals supervisors, considering this will be where nationals is held?
Yes there are some events run by National Supervisors, and in general we run it like a National Tournament. The fact that teams come from other states like Texas and the Carolinas also reinforce the competitiveness of it, as it's not just the supervisors, but also the quality of the other teams that makes an event competitive.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:Discussion thread for the Wright State Invitational held on January 28, 2017 at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio.

imo MIT just spoiled us so we can never think about Wright State the same way again.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
dcrxcode
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN
Been thanked: 0

Post by dcrxcode »

Last year, Game On was run by Dan Nichols, the coach of Whiting High School, who is a national event supervisor. If I remember correctly, Wind Power was also run by the national event supervisor. Even disregarding that, the tests I took were all of very high quality, and the tournament organizers definitely know what they are doing. Creds to the entire Chalker family and crew.
Unome

Post by Unome »

dcrxcode wrote:

Last year, Game On was run by Dan Nichols, the coach of Whiting High School, who is a national event supervisor. If I remember correctly, Wind Power was also run by the national event supervisor. Even disregarding that, the tests I took were all of very high quality, and the tournament organizers definitely know what they are doing. Creds to the entire Chalker family and crew.
I've heard relatively negative things about the tournament from a few teams at MIT last year (though I can't remember exactly what those things were).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
dcrxcode
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN
Been thanked: 0

Post by dcrxcode »

Unome wrote:
dcrxcode wrote:

I've heard relatively negative things about the tournament from a few teams at MIT last year (though I can't remember exactly what those things were).
To put things into perspective, Wright State is still one of the best invitationals in the midwest. Maybe MIT is a far better invitational (and based on competitiveness, it probably is), but Wright State is what teams that have small budgets (like Carmel) have access to. If we had the chance to go to MIT, we would go too.
Unome

Post by Unome »

dcrxcode wrote:
Unome wrote:
dcrxcode wrote:
To put things into perspective, Wright State is still one of the best invitationals in the midwest. Maybe MIT is a far better invitational (and based on competitiveness, it probably is), but Wright State is what teams that have small budgets (like Carmel) have access to. If we had the chance to go to MIT, we would go too.
Agreed; as I said above, MIT sort of spoiled the rest of the tourneys.
Userpage

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

It looks like we missed the deadline to register for the tournament :( . We're looking for other possible tournaments to go to, but it looks like most of the good ones are reaaally far (we're in St. Louis, MO and our budget consists of all the team members each pitching in). What are some other good alternatives that aren't too far (within 7-8 hours of St. Louis)?

Unome

Post by Unome »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:It looks like we missed the deadline to register for the tournament :( . We're looking for other possible tournaments to go to, but it looks like most of the good ones are reaaally far (we're in St. Louis, MO and our budget consists of all the team members each pitching in). What are some other good alternatives that aren't too far (within 7-8 hours of St. Louis)?
Besides the regular KS-MO-NE stuff? Boyceville (~9 hours) is the nearest high-level competition besides perhaps a few IL invitationals (I don't know much about IL invitationals because they never post scores). Pope John Paul II (in Nashville) is ~5 hours away, though it's nowhere near as competitive (against last year's competition your team would likely go below 40 points). Similarly, there are several tournaments in Oklahoma, but none of them are very competitive (yet). The Texas tourneys are probably a bit too far; most of the major tournaments there are in Houston.
Userpage

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

I was thinking more IL-IN-OH since they mostly aren't too far and they have a lot of good teams.

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”