Wright State Invitational

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Wright State Invitational

Postby nicholasmaurer » Thu May 25, 2017 2:32 pm

Unome wrote:I didn't say I'm only looking at Ohio invites, just that those four are the only Ohio ones on my list (though Westlake is probably not going to happen since it likely conflicts with All-State band and orchestra). Golden Gate would be an easy first choice if it was about $200 less expensive in travel costs. UPenn is on my list already. Having seen tests from Yale and Cornell, I don't consider those as good in quality as e.g. Westlake (of which I have also seen tests). Also, getting back raw scores is especially nice (as is done by Westlake and UPenn). Princeton I'm not sure about, but I'm pretty sure UPenn is higher quality and they're close together and were at similar times. Regarding the other three, I'm not really willing to trust those without significant indication that they'll be good (i.e. I'm looking at UChicago, but probably not). Regarding competition, NY/PA/NJ has nothing on Ohio invites (many of which also include Northville) - a side by side comparison is enough to show that - just at how much Mason dominated at UPenn (excepting Harriton of course).

FYI Solon does release raw scores for events too
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Co-Director - Northeast Ohio Region

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » Thu May 25, 2017 2:33 pm

nicholasmaurer wrote:
Unome wrote:I didn't say I'm only looking at Ohio invites, just that those four are the only Ohio ones on my list (though Westlake is probably not going to happen since it likely conflicts with All-State band and orchestra). Golden Gate would be an easy first choice if it was about $200 less expensive in travel costs. UPenn is on my list already. Having seen tests from Yale and Cornell, I don't consider those as good in quality as e.g. Westlake (of which I have also seen tests). Also, getting back raw scores is especially nice (as is done by Westlake and UPenn). Princeton I'm not sure about, but I'm pretty sure UPenn is higher quality and they're close together and were at similar times. Regarding the other three, I'm not really willing to trust those without significant indication that they'll be good (i.e. I'm looking at UChicago, but probably not). Regarding competition, NY/PA/NJ has nothing on Ohio invites (many of which also include Northville) - a side by side comparison is enough to show that - just at how much Mason dominated at UPenn (excepting Harriton of course).

FYI Solon does release raw scores for events too

Nice to know, hadn't heard this before. However the conflict with regionals is unfortunately still there.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School

2018 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives, Fermi Questions, Herpetology, Materials Science, Remote Sensing

MIScioly1
State: MI

Postby MIScioly1 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:46 pm

Wright State/Centerville is probably the best invitational in Ohio in terms of competition. My high school from Michigan is looking at going there next year (unfortunately I'm no longer in high school :( )
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Test Evaluation Committee

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”