MIT Invitational

blakinator8
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MIT Invitational

Post by blakinator8 »

kenniky wrote: Are the exam scores the space between orange and blue, or from the bottom to the orange?

Also, yo! I've competed in both of your events then. Nice! (RIP Geomap :( )
From the bottom to the orange.

Agreed, Geomapping was the greatest. :( Hopefully it'll be back in the rotation in the near future.
Proud member of the Liberal Arts and Science Academy team, 2012-2015
jkang
State: TX

Post by jkang »

blakinator8 wrote:Agreed, Geomapping was the greatest.
Good jokes
UT Austin '19
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '15
Tom_MS
State: PA

Post by Tom_MS »

kenniky wrote:
Optics (19th) - Test was pretty good, straightforward with a couple of curveballs but nothing too esoteric (other than maybe Fabry-Perot cavities lol) The laser setup, however, was not that great - the mirrors were covered in tape and this resulted in the bottom front edge not being flush or even parallel with the actual mirrors. We set the mirrors up perfectly but the variation in angle from the tape made our laser completely miss the 4th mirror and caused us to get a laser score of 21 :/ Very salty
Yeah we had this exact same problem. The test was fine with a few hard questions, but the LSS really killed because of those covers.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Today I noticed that one of the sections on the key from the Remote test is copied almost word for word from Wikipedia (the sentence is meaningless out of context too):
Answer Key wrote:The satellites are spaced apart so their collective observations allow construction of high-definition 3D images.
Wikipedia wrote:They are spaced a few minutes apart from each other so their collective observations may be used to build high-definition three-dimensional images of the Earth's atmosphere and surface.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Unome wrote:Today I noticed that one of the sections on the key from the Remote test is copied almost word for word from Wikipedia (the sentence is meaningless out of context too):
Answer Key wrote:The satellites are spaced apart so their collective observations allow construction of high-definition 3D images.
Wikipedia wrote:They are spaced a few minutes apart from each other so their collective observations may be used to build high-definition three-dimensional images of the Earth's atmosphere and surface.
That's the answer to the benefits of having a train of consecutive satellites imaging the same area. Whats wrong with the answer? It may be slightly general, but it is correct
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Unome

Post by Unome »

windu34 wrote:
Unome wrote:Today I noticed that one of the sections on the key from the Remote test is copied almost word for word from Wikipedia (the sentence is meaningless out of context too):
That's the answer to the benefits of having a train of consecutive satellites imaging the same area. Whats wrong with the answer? It may be slightly general, but it is correct
I guess it's just me nitpicking. The first thing that came to mind when I looked at that today was, how would they grade an answer along the lines of "In order that the satellite images can be accurately compared to each other"? I could see the test writer marking that correct, but other graders marking it incorrect.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Ashernoel
State: IL

Post by Ashernoel »

blakinator8 wrote:Hi all,

I was the ES for Hovercraft at MIT. I wrote the test and ran check-in at impound. The National event supervisor also came to the event; he supplied the tracks (which were admittedly slippery, but all identical to each other). In the interest of preserving the competitiveness of high-performing teams I won't give out individual raw scores, but I will show a plot of the scores for the device and test: Image

I competed in Maglev back in 2012(trial at nats), 2013, and 2014, so I know the pain of trying to make a vehicle go slowly over an unpredictable track. This was my second year as an ES at MIT (I proctored geologic mapping last year).
Are these vehicle scores only the mass or time scores? Someone was talking about getting a 47 on vehicle score, but if the top score on the test is 50, these vehicle scores look to be around 25. What am I missing? Sorry...
NT '19
Harvard '23
Unome

Post by Unome »

Apparently a video of the awards ceremony was posted to YouTube in February (discovered it in the related videos section when I saw at the Ohio State Tournament livestream).
Userpage

kenniky
State: MA

Post by kenniky »

Are there official pictures anywhere

And why is the site down again
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

kenniky wrote:Are there official pictures anywhere

And why is the site down again
I cant remember the last time the site was up tbh lol
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni