Invitationals Interactive Map

SenseiSushi
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Invitationals Interactive Map

Post by SenseiSushi »

In order to make registering for invitationals easier, PacificGoldenPlover and I have created a map that documents the location, date, and website of invitationals occurring across the nation. If you would like us to add an invitational to the map, please message me with the location, date, and the website. If registration closes, please message me and let me know.

You can find the map at tinyurl.com/sciolyinvitesmap. Best of luck in this year's SciOly season! :D

Last edited by bernard on September 16th, 2016, 10:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Userpage
2014 States: R&M-4th, Sounds of Music-5th
2015 States: Crime Busters-2nd, Green Gen-2nd
2015 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
2015 Swap Meet: Cheese Hat
2016 States: Green Gen-1st, Exp Des-5th, Scrambler-6th
2016 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
dcrxcode
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN
Been thanked: 0

Re: Invitationals Interactive Map

Post by dcrxcode »

Sensei_Sushi wrote:In order to make registering for invitationals easier, PGP and I have created a map that documents the location, date, and website of invitationals occurring across the nation. If you would like us to add an invitational to the map, please PM me with the location, date, and the website.

You can find the map at http://tinyurl.com/SciOlyInvitesMap.
This is really, really cool :D Thanks Sensei!
[NerdyTotoro]

Post by [NerdyTotoro] »

Sensei_Sushi wrote:In order to make registering for invitationals easier, PGP and I have created a map that documents the location, date, and website of invitationals occurring across the nation. If you would like us to add an invitational to the map, please PM me with the location, date, and the website.

Oooh that was fast. I like it! Try to get bernard or robotman to have it put into the website.
:idea:
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

[NerdyTotoro] wrote:

Oooh that was fast. I like it! Try to get bernard or robotman to have it put into the website.
I just uploaded all the California invites I know of. Needless to say it will be a while to get what will likely get 100-200 invitationals added. Once that happens maybe it could be put up.
Needless to say, it's going to take quite a lot of maintenance to keep this relevant. We will have to update when registration for invitationals closes, post top placings, etc. Thus, if this were to actually become a thing, I'd recommend getting a few other users involved with gathering and updating this info. Probably someone from each part of the country, who can keep tabs on local invitationals they attend or at least know of.
If we can make this work, then the next step would be to mess around with the filters, so someone could show or hide invites by date (to figure out options for a specific weekend), size, and so forth. That will probably require moving it to a more usable mapping program.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
bhavjain

Post by bhavjain »

PacificGoldenPlover wrote:
[NerdyTotoro] wrote:

I just uploaded all the California invites I know of. Needless to say it will be a while to get what will likely get 100-200 invitationals added. Once that happens maybe it could be put up.
Needless to say, it's going to take quite a lot of maintenance to keep this relevant. We will have to update when registration for invitationals closes, post top placings, etc. Thus, if this were to actually become a thing, I'd recommend getting a few other users involved with gathering and updating this info. Probably someone from each part of the country, who can keep tabs on local invitationals they attend or at least know of.
If we can make this work, then the next step would be to mess around with the filters, so someone could show or hide invites by date (to figure out options for a specific weekend), size, and so forth. That will probably require moving it to a more usable mapping program.
I could help manage the East Coast aspect of the map as I am in PA.
2017 Science Olympiad - (Invites TBD/Reg/State/Nats) - Division C

Anatomy: (-/-/-/-)
Astronomy: (-/-/-/-)
Disease Detectives: (-/-/-/-)
Ecology: (-/-/-/-)
Microbe Mission: (-/-/-/-)
Remote Sensing: (-/-/-/-)
Rocks & Minerals: (-/-/-/-)
Towers: (-/-/-/-)
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Great idea! I've sticked this post for more visibility. Many state forums will have details for more invitationals.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
[NerdyTotoro]

Post by [NerdyTotoro] »

bernard wrote:Great idea! I've sticked this post for more visibility. Many state forums will have details for more invitationals.
Bernard approves?
:idea:
SenseiSushi

Post by SenseiSushi »

bernard wrote:Great idea! I've sticked this post for more visibility. Many state forums will have details for more invitationals.
Thanks bernard!
Userpage
2014 States: R&M-4th, Sounds of Music-5th
2015 States: Crime Busters-2nd, Green Gen-2nd
2015 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
2015 Swap Meet: Cheese Hat
2016 States: Green Gen-1st, Exp Des-5th, Scrambler-6th
2016 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
Entomology
State: CA