Ohio 2017

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Ohio 2017

Post by chalker »

I'm interested in hearing if anyone has any suggestions regarding venues for running Helicopters at the Ohio State Tournament this year. A lot of you have spent time on campus in previous years and wandered around and might have seen some place that would work well. Here are a couple comments regarding this.

1. We've tried hard to get the racquetball / squash courts on campus, but aren't going to be allowed to use them. Unless someone has some sort of very high-level contact that can move mountains at OSU, those are out of the picture.
2. French fieldhouse is technically available, where we've run it in the past, but will face the usual challenges (lots of obstructions to get hung up on, difficulty controlling access / HVAC, etc)
3. We are currently leaning towards either the 1st floor foyers of Dreese Labs or Hitchcock Hall. Both have VERY smooth ceilings with virtually no lights, sprinklers, etc. But will be dififcult to control access to.
4. We've looked at virtually all the other lecture halls / classrooms in central campus and all have lots of open grid lights, projectors, speakers, etc. etc. on the ceiling.

Shoot me a message if anyone has any suggestions (perhaps a homeroom you had in the past, or another room you competed in an event in) and we'll look into it.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
dhdarren
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by dhdarren »

chalker wrote:I'm interested in hearing if anyone has any suggestions regarding venues for running Helicopters at the Ohio State Tournament this year. A lot of you have spent time on campus in previous years and wandered around and might have seen some place that would work well. Here are a couple comments regarding this.

1. We've tried hard to get the racquetball / squash courts on campus, but aren't going to be allowed to use them. Unless someone has some sort of very high-level contact that can move mountains at OSU, those are out of the picture.
2. French fieldhouse is technically available, where we've run it in the past, but will face the usual challenges (lots of obstructions to get hung up on, difficulty controlling access / HVAC, etc)
3. We are currently leaning towards either the 1st floor foyers of Dreese Labs or Hitchcock Hall. Both have VERY smooth ceilings with virtually no lights, sprinklers, etc. But will be dififcult to control access to.
4. We've looked at virtually all the other lecture halls / classrooms in central campus and all have lots of open grid lights, projectors, speakers, etc. etc. on the ceiling.

Shoot me a message if anyone has any suggestions (perhaps a homeroom you had in the past, or another room you competed in an event in) and we'll look into it.
May I ask why the current tentative location (Hitchcock 131) is considering being changed? Higher ceiling I'm assuming? Personally, having examined the tentative location in Hitchcock 131, I think that it would be a very decent venue; it seems flat and relatively high, and would be secure if a good portion of the room was roped off for spectators (perhaps just starting where the seats begin?). Granted, I haven't looked at the foyer of the building, so I'm not sure about how that would work, but as you mentioned, there are complications with running it in a more open, public space like the foyer. Wherever it is, I am definitely more opposed to having it run at FFH. If I remember correctly, the ceilings are sloped, corrugated, and having plenty of girders and obstructions like the flag in the middle. I would just leave FFH for Div. B Wright Stuff.
2015:
R | S
Bridge: 1 | 8
AirTraj: 5 | 26
WS: 12 | 9
Scrambler: 6 | 17
DP: 7 | X

2016:
Bridge: 2 | 15
AirTraj: 2 | 6
WS: 3 | 11
DP: 4 | 15
GeoMap: 4 | 25

2017:
Heli: 1 | 1
Hover: 1 | 4
Towers: 2 | 15
DP: 1 | 6
Wind: 2 | 8
2018:
R | S
Heli:
Hover:
Towers:
DP:
Eco:
MV:[/b]
chalker

Post by chalker »

dhdarren wrote:
May I ask why the current tentative location (Hitchcock 131) is considering being changed? Higher ceiling I'm assuming? Personally, having examined the tentative location in Hitchcock 131, I think that it would be a very decent venue; it seems flat and relatively high, and would be secure if a good portion of the room was roped off for spectators (perhaps just starting where the seats begin?). Granted, I haven't looked at the foyer of the building, so I'm not sure about how that would work, but as you mentioned, there are complications with running it in a more open, public space like the foyer. Wherever it is, I am definitely more opposed to having it run at FFH. If I remember correctly, the ceilings are sloped, corrugated, and having plenty of girders and obstructions like the flag in the middle. I would just leave FFH for Div. B Wright Stuff.
I think the event supervisor felt the ceiling had too many obstructions and was sloped too much in Hitchcock 131. We can revisit that though.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
smurphy00

Post by smurphy00 »

If anyone from the Eastern, Central, or Southeastern regions wants to post the regional results from March 11, that would be great!
Herpetology / Ecology / Towers / Forensics / Microbe Mission
gavinnupp

Post by gavinnupp »

Certified Enviro-nerd
Ecology, Invasive Species, R&M (R/S '17)
3/2
1/~
2/~
jgrischow1
Division: B

Post by jgrischow1 »

Central Ohio

B state qualifiers:

1. New Albany A
2. Grandview Heights
3. Granville
(New Albany B)
4. Canal Winchester A
5. Thomas Ewing

C state qualifiers:

1. New Albany A
(New Albany B)
2. Olentangy Orange A
3. Lancaster
4. Upper Arlington A
5. Columbus Academy
6. Worthington Kilbourne A
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by lumosityfan »

Oh for anyone following along on the livestream I made a medal table which you guys can help with as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing Enjoy! :)
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
RoboMarth

Post by RoboMarth »

Spent entirely too much time on this results tracker / predictor:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

RoboMarth wrote:Spent entirely too much time on this results tracker / predictor:

Looks really cool! So when you put in the event scores it calculates which teams are predicted to place where? Do you have source code we could see?
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
RoboMarth

Post by RoboMarth »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
RoboMarth wrote:Spent entirely too much time on this results tracker / predictor:

Looks really cool! So when you put in the event scores it calculates which teams are predicted to place where? Do you have source code we could see?
Yep, it just calculates a predicted score based on the placings and an assumed average unranked placing. All Excel formulas / conditional formatting, I think you can just download the file as an Excel spreadsheet to see them.

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”