Ohio 2017

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2063
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:30 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Ohio 2017

Postby chalker » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:29 am

I'm interested in hearing if anyone has any suggestions regarding venues for running Helicopters at the Ohio State Tournament this year. A lot of you have spent time on campus in previous years and wandered around and might have seen some place that would work well. Here are a couple comments regarding this.

1. We've tried hard to get the racquetball / squash courts on campus, but aren't going to be allowed to use them. Unless someone has some sort of very high-level contact that can move mountains at OSU, those are out of the picture.
2. French fieldhouse is technically available, where we've run it in the past, but will face the usual challenges (lots of obstructions to get hung up on, difficulty controlling access / HVAC, etc)
3. We are currently leaning towards either the 1st floor foyers of Dreese Labs or Hitchcock Hall. Both have VERY smooth ceilings with virtually no lights, sprinklers, etc. But will be dififcult to control access to.
4. We've looked at virtually all the other lecture halls / classrooms in central campus and all have lots of open grid lights, projectors, speakers, etc. etc. on the ceiling.

Shoot me a message if anyone has any suggestions (perhaps a homeroom you had in the past, or another room you competed in an event in) and we'll look into it.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

dhdarren
Member
Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:34 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Location: Hudson High School
Contact:

Re: Ohio 2017

Postby dhdarren » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:30 am

chalker wrote:I'm interested in hearing if anyone has any suggestions regarding venues for running Helicopters at the Ohio State Tournament this year. A lot of you have spent time on campus in previous years and wandered around and might have seen some place that would work well. Here are a couple comments regarding this.

1. We've tried hard to get the racquetball / squash courts on campus, but aren't going to be allowed to use them. Unless someone has some sort of very high-level contact that can move mountains at OSU, those are out of the picture.
2. French fieldhouse is technically available, where we've run it in the past, but will face the usual challenges (lots of obstructions to get hung up on, difficulty controlling access / HVAC, etc)
3. We are currently leaning towards either the 1st floor foyers of Dreese Labs or Hitchcock Hall. Both have VERY smooth ceilings with virtually no lights, sprinklers, etc. But will be dififcult to control access to.
4. We've looked at virtually all the other lecture halls / classrooms in central campus and all have lots of open grid lights, projectors, speakers, etc. etc. on the ceiling.

Shoot me a message if anyone has any suggestions (perhaps a homeroom you had in the past, or another room you competed in an event in) and we'll look into it.


May I ask why the current tentative location (Hitchcock 131) is considering being changed? Higher ceiling I'm assuming? Personally, having examined the tentative location in Hitchcock 131, I think that it would be a very decent venue; it seems flat and relatively high, and would be secure if a good portion of the room was roped off for spectators (perhaps just starting where the seats begin?). Granted, I haven't looked at the foyer of the building, so I'm not sure about how that would work, but as you mentioned, there are complications with running it in a more open, public space like the foyer. Wherever it is, I am definitely more opposed to having it run at FFH. If I remember correctly, the ceilings are sloped, corrugated, and having plenty of girders and obstructions like the flag in the middle. I would just leave FFH for Div. B Wright Stuff.
Past Seasons
2015:
R | S
Bridge: 1 | 8
AirTraj: 5 | 26
WS: 12 | 9
Scrambler: 6 | 17
DP: 7 | X

2016:
Bridge: 2 | 15
AirTraj: 2 | 6
WS: 3 | 11
DP: 4 | 15
GeoMap: 4 | 25

2017:
Heli: 1 | 1
Hover: 1 | 4
Towers: 2 | 15
DP: 1 | 6
Wind: 2 | 8


2018:
R | S
Heli:
Hover:
Towers:
DP:
Eco:
MV:

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2063
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:30 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Ohio 2017

Postby chalker » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:16 pm

dhdarren wrote:
May I ask why the current tentative location (Hitchcock 131) is considering being changed? Higher ceiling I'm assuming? Personally, having examined the tentative location in Hitchcock 131, I think that it would be a very decent venue; it seems flat and relatively high, and would be secure if a good portion of the room was roped off for spectators (perhaps just starting where the seats begin?). Granted, I haven't looked at the foyer of the building, so I'm not sure about how that would work, but as you mentioned, there are complications with running it in a more open, public space like the foyer. Wherever it is, I am definitely more opposed to having it run at FFH. If I remember correctly, the ceilings are sloped, corrugated, and having plenty of girders and obstructions like the flag in the middle. I would just leave FFH for Div. B Wright Stuff.


I think the event supervisor felt the ceiling had too many obstructions and was sloped too much in Hitchcock 131. We can revisit that though.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

smurphy00
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:30 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Ohio 2017

Postby smurphy00 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:04 pm

If anyone from the Eastern, Central, or Southeastern regions wants to post the regional results from March 11, that would be great!
2018 Events
Herpetology / Ecology / Towers / Forensics / Microbe Mission

gavinnupp
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:04 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Ohio 2017

Postby gavinnupp » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Certified Enviro-nerd
Ecology, Invasive Species, R&M (R/S '17)
3/2
1/~
2/~

jgrischow1
Member
Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:21 pm
Division: B
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Ohio 2017

Postby jgrischow1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:47 am

Central Ohio

B state qualifiers:

1. New Albany A
2. Grandview Heights
3. Granville
(New Albany B)
4. Canal Winchester A
5. Thomas Ewing

C state qualifiers:

1. New Albany A
(New Albany B)
2. Olentangy Orange A
3. Lancaster
4. Upper Arlington A
5. Columbus Academy
6. Worthington Kilbourne A

User avatar
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:00 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Re: Ohio 2017

Postby lumosityfan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:14 pm

Oh for anyone following along on the livestream I made a medal table which you guys can help with as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing Enjoy! :)
JP Stevens 2015, Columbia University 2019
See my favorite teams' event history: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
2016-18 UCC Regionals Astronomy ES, 2017 Princeton Invitational Helicopters ES

RoboMarth
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:51 am
Division: C
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Ohio 2017

Postby RoboMarth » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:07 am


User avatar
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:03 pm
Division: Grad
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going
Contact:

Re: Ohio 2017

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:25 am

RoboMarth wrote:Spent entirely too much time on this results tracker / predictor:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K2B8Z0gGGii5Lua99g49NecZbZbFN0NBsTPddXK9Kls/edit?usp=sharing

Looks really cool! So when you put in the event scores it calculates which teams are predicted to place where? Do you have source code we could see?
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

"My sunset, and sunset for humanity."

RoboMarth
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:51 am
Division: C
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Ohio 2017

Postby RoboMarth » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:35 am

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
RoboMarth wrote:Spent entirely too much time on this results tracker / predictor:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K2B8Z0gGGii5Lua99g49NecZbZbFN0NBsTPddXK9Kls/edit?usp=sharing

Looks really cool! So when you put in the event scores it calculates which teams are predicted to place where? Do you have source code we could see?


Yep, it just calculates a predicted score based on the placings and an assumed average unranked placing. All Excel formulas / conditional formatting, I think you can just download the file as an Excel spreadsheet to see them.

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3497
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Ohio 2017

Postby Unome » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:54 am

RoboMarth wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
RoboMarth wrote:Spent entirely too much time on this results tracker / predictor:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K2B8Z0gGGii5Lua99g49NecZbZbFN0NBsTPddXK9Kls/edit?usp=sharing

Looks really cool! So when you put in the event scores it calculates which teams are predicted to place where? Do you have source code we could see?


Yep, it just calculates a predicted score based on the placings and an assumed average unranked placing. All Excel formulas / conditional formatting, I think you can just download the file as an Excel spreadsheet to see them.

Pretty cool. The color scheme looks nice, I'll have to try that someday.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

User avatar
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:03 pm
Division: Grad
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going
Contact:

Re: Ohio 2017

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:33 pm

Unome wrote:
RoboMarth wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:Looks really cool! So when you put in the event scores it calculates which teams are predicted to place where? Do you have source code we could see?


Yep, it just calculates a predicted score based on the placings and an assumed average unranked placing. All Excel formulas / conditional formatting, I think you can just download the file as an Excel spreadsheet to see them.

Pretty cool. The color scheme looks nice, I'll have to try that someday.

So I plugged in the scores for Missouri 2016 and it predicted the placements of the top 7 teams precisely (although predicted team scores were pretty far off). Nice work :)
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

"My sunset, and sunset for humanity."

User avatar
John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod
Posts: 668
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:54 pm
Division: Grad
State: MI
Location: R12
Contact:

Re: Ohio 2017

Postby John Richardsim » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:41 am

I've spent the past few hours putting this spreadsheet for my predictions for Ohio. I used both invite and regional results from this year, and for the top 10 teams of that, I brought in competition results from the past five years.

Predictions

I was pretty surprised with how it turned out. What do you all think?
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

4Head
Member
Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:29 pm
Division: C
State: KY
Contact:

Re: Ohio 2017

Postby 4Head » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:50 am

John Richardsim wrote:I've spent the past few hours putting this spreadsheet for my predictions for Ohio. I used both invite and regional results from this year, and for the top 10 teams of that, I brought in competition results from the past five years.

Predictions

I was pretty surprised with how it turned out. What do you all think?

I got a fatal error when I opened the link.
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion

User avatar
John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod
Posts: 668
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:54 pm
Division: Grad
State: MI
Location: R12
Contact:

Re: Ohio 2017

Postby John Richardsim » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:07 am

4Head wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:I've spent the past few hours putting this spreadsheet for my predictions for Ohio. I used both invite and regional results from this year, and for the top 10 teams of that, I brought in competition results from the past five years.

Predictions

I was pretty surprised with how it turned out. What do you all think?

I got a fatal error when I opened the link.

Whoops. Should be fixed now.
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice


Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest