Predictions for Nationals

dontsenditinthemail
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Predictions for Nationals

Post by dontsenditinthemail »

Div B:
Solon, they dominated people all year from all over the country already, so why not one more time at nats?

Div C:
Harriton, sick score in PA and great will power against a C division that is looking weaker than last year across the nation
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Remember, Harriton actually got second at regionals. But who knows, usually they do better at states and nats better than at regionals.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
bugsrcool
Division: C

Post by bugsrcool »

I don't think you need to worry about the MI and PA schools getting ready for nationals. They got ready for nationals while preparing for states. Harriton's and Penncrest's junkyard and EV were national ready by states. Harriton is a beast this year and the last time a PA team won states with a score that low, they won nationals (Harriton in 2005). Good luck to all of you from the team you gave a good ole' fashion butt whooping to. Can't wait to see how they finish. We hope you take it all.
...and the bugs shall rule the world!!!
oceangirl.007

Post by oceangirl.007 »

Solon got 73 pts. which is good because it's under 100..so I'm pretty sure there are going to be in the top 10. But, the year CMS won nationals they got 36 pts in New Jersey, which is complete domination (almost all first places). This year isn't the same level...but why does everyone think Solon is so great, didn't they only win nationals once?...I'm kinda out of tune with this stuff.
dontsenditinthemail

Post by dontsenditinthemail »

oceangirl.007 wrote:Solon got 73 pts. which is good because it's under 100..so I'm pretty sure there are going to be in the top 10. But, the year CMS won nationals they got 36 pts in New Jersey, which is complete domination (almost all first places). This year isn't the same level...but why does everyone think Solon is so great, didn't they only win nationals once?...I'm kinda out of tune with this stuff.
Solon competes against teams from across the country, thus they have already been tested and have come out on top at every single invitational (at least all I've seen them at). I mean, at their invitational Booth attends, so they have competed against literally the best, thus when it comes to predictions, they are by far the safest team to choose because they have already proven themselves against any competition.

Also, keep in mind OH is about 10X more competative than NJ when it comes to Div B, thus a 36 in NJ might actually be simliar to a score in the 70's in OH.
sean9keenan

Post by sean9keenan »

bugsrcool wrote:I don't think you need to worry about the MI and PA schools getting ready for nationals. They got ready for nationals while preparing for states. Harriton's and Penncrest's junkyard and EV were national ready by states. Harriton is a beast this year and the last time a PA team won states with a score that low, they won nationals (Harriton in 2005). Good luck to all of you from the team you gave a good ole' fashion butt whooping to. Can't wait to see how they finish. We hope you take it all.
Err... about EV and Junkyard.... Well... they aren't/weren't exactly ready for nationals, especially not at states..... The tasks change, and I know from first hand experience, the goal the week before states isn't to get something ready for nationals, it's to get it ready for states! Frankly, it's hard to tell from states, or even one competition; a low score in one competition could be result of a good day, and getting first at nationals requires being flawless... no DQ's, which are all too easy to get. Also looking at Penncrest's scores, and being at the competition, I know that they frankly had a bad day, a lot of their build events fell apart, build events that got a lot worse from regionals to states, build events that can easily be repaired. I'll repeat, it's to hard to tell from one competition what the outcomes for nationals would be, because one competition is so random...

sigh, I should be doing a lab report

/end of rant
SoCal Event Supervisor. H2S2O for ever. Competed in Builds & Physics events
oceangirl.007

Post by oceangirl.007 »

dontsenditinthemail wrote:
oceangirl.007 wrote:Solon got 73 pts. which is good because it's under 100..so I'm pretty sure there are going to be in the top 10. But, the year CMS won nationals they got 36 pts in New Jersey, which is complete domination (almost all first places). This year isn't the same level...but why does everyone think Solon is so great, didn't they only win nationals once?...I'm kinda out of tune with this stuff.
Solon competes against teams from across the country, thus they have already been tested and have come out on top at every single invitational (at least all I've seen them at). I mean, at their invitational Booth attends, so they have competed against literally the best, thus when it comes to predictions, they are by far the safest team to choose because they have already proven themselves against any competition.

Also, keep in mind OH is about 10X more competative than NJ when it comes to Div B, thus a 36 in NJ might actually be simliar to a score in the 70's in OH.
I agree with what you say, but I don't think that OH is 10 times more competitive that NJ, they are probably around the same (there are just less SO schools in NJ...only one NJ school goes to nationals, unlike the 2 or 3 from OH). Also, isn't invitationals a lot different than nationals (competition level?). Also, how is a school considered for invitationals. (I always thought the teams that never got a chance to go to nationals are considered for invitationals).
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

bugsrcool wrote:I don't think you need to worry about the MI and PA schools getting ready for nationals. They got ready for nationals while preparing for states. Harriton's and Penncrest's junkyard and EV were national ready by states. Harriton is a beast this year and the last time a PA team won states with a score that low, they won nationals (Harriton in 2005). Good luck to all of you from the team you gave a good ole' fashion butt whooping to. Can't wait to see how they finish. We hope you take it all.
But it does help to have 4 or 5 weeks of preparation solely for nats as opposed to 2.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
rockhound
State: FL

Post by rockhound »

oceangirl.007 wrote: I agree with what you say, but I don't think that OH is 10 times more competitive that NJ, they are probably around the same (there are just less SO schools in NJ...only one NJ school goes to nationals, unlike the 2 or 3 from OH). Also, isn't invitationals a lot different than nationals (competition level?). Also, how is a school considered for invitationals. (I always thought the teams that never got a chance to go to nationals are considered for invitationals).
Most invitationals are open for any team to sign up for on a first come first serve basis (at least in OH and PA). Any team can go. You are not actually "invitated".

I think one reason people should consider giving Solon middle school a good chance is that they come from a state where they could go to 9 invitationals, then regionals and states before getting to nationals. That a possible 11 competitions before nationals. How could that extra practice not help?
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

rockhound wrote:
oceangirl.007 wrote: I agree with what you say, but I don't think that OH is 10 times more competitive that NJ, they are probably around the same (there are just less SO schools in NJ...only one NJ school goes to nationals, unlike the 2 or 3 from OH). Also, isn't invitationals a lot different than nationals (competition level?). Also, how is a school considered for invitationals. (I always thought the teams that never got a chance to go to nationals are considered for invitationals).
Most invitationals are open for any team to sign up for on a first come first serve basis (at least in OH and PA). Any team can go. You are not actually "invitated".

I think one reason people should consider giving Solon middle school a good chance is that they come from a state where they could go to 9 invitationals, then regionals and states before getting to nationals. That a possible 11 competitions before nationals. How could that extra practice not help?
The National Invitational is like that, though; only teams that haven't been to Nationals in the past two years can go.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009

Return to “2009 Nationals”