State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2010 National Tournament: University of Illinois

Post by kjhsscioly »

croman74 wrote:
chia wrote:
inuyashakusho wrote:Champaign is...2.5 hours from Chicago, IL
actually, it took me about three hours (on low traffic and no stops) and where i live is closer than chicago is, so from chicago i'd say around 3.5 hours, varying with traffic.
No, I don't think it would take 3.5 hours. I've been down there quite a few times as we have family friends, and from Grand Rapids it takes like 3 hours. I think 2.5, maybe 2.75 hours is what it'll take.
i live close to chia, and it took me 30 minutes less than her... but with some traffic.. so 2.75 hours would be close under optimal situations
srsvball95
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by srsvball95 »

jazzy009 wrote:Ya know, we could have a Student Forum Ultimate Open. Just pick like 8 captains who are going to nats and then have them choose their teams in Illinois. Then we could call people by their usernames instead of real names...haha I'm awful at real names.
thats a good idea we should do that rather than by science olympiad teams because then it would be a bunch of teams and we wouldn't really combine teams...

it could be like a tournament where each team plays the other teams in the pool and then next first plays first, second plays second, third plays third and so on (If we only had 8 teams)
Seven Lakes High School Class of 2014
Beckendorff Alumni
fullofit
Division: C
State: CA

Post by fullofit »

Of all the SO Nationals that I have been to, Urbana and Bloomington have been the best run, best venues, nicest campuses. They really put on a great welcome at both places, and I think that last ime Nationals was at Illinois that offered a full scholarship to every C division gold medal winner (I believe B division got a $5,000 scholarship to Urbana). I don't know if they will do that again, and I don't know how many winners actually take the scholarship (many of our team members end up at MIT, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc.), but with the economy going like it is, they may get a lot more takers next year.

I would like to see a West Coast SO some time. I have been doing this for 5 years and the travel time and jet lag (time difference) for the West Coast teams is sometimes brutal. We have some team members who can't come until Friday (due to testing) and they are like zombies during competition. WHen we went to DC last year our connecting flight got delayed by 6 hours so our travel time was like 12 hours total, and we were fried when we got there. In addition the shipping of the building event supplies is expensive and requires us to complete everything more than a week before competition. It must be great to just hop into a car or bus and be at the University in a few hours, in the same time zone, and with all your devices intact (without haveing to spend many hours packing everything in crates). If we are going to have to travel for 5 hours by plane then lets do this in Hawaii, or Miami, or Guam, or American Samoa, Puerto Rico, or someplace where we can do some diving and surfing. Just kidding, I really like Urbana, but a full scholarship to Stanford, Berkley or UCLA would be great as well.
beaverkid

Post by beaverkid »

Since when did NY become a west coast state?
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Could be that his state is wrong. Or that he was born in NY. Either way I'm pretty sure he's on the West Coast now, his entire post suggests that.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
croman74
State: MI

Post by croman74 »

Yeah he just changed it to CA. It looks like he goes to the same school as starpug!
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson
boilerup!

Post by boilerup! »

soobsession wrote:ultimate frisbee?
its on 8-) my team has like the awesomest ultimate frisbee ppl :lol: (but that might be because i dont know your team) i cant say im the greatest frisbee player, but w/e. we could like set the record for largest, nerdiest, ultimate frisbee game :geek: :ugeek: :mrgreen:

go east! :D
Ultimate Frisbee is huge at our school. We have an intramural team that meets everyday after school for a good 1-2 hours just playing frisbee. Many of the people who play are on our Science O. team as well. I wish I could say I play with them but they play mostly during softball season. It'd be great fun to get some teams together at tournaments to play against each other.
VHSSO '09

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line."

LIVESTRONG
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

Well then maybe when the first states start finishing up then we should start a thread to get a list of users who will be their and we;ll make teams some how.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

boilerup! wrote:
soobsession wrote:ultimate frisbee?
its on 8-) my team has like the awesomest ultimate frisbee ppl :lol: (but that might be because i dont know your team) i cant say im the greatest frisbee player, but w/e. we could like set the record for largest, nerdiest, ultimate frisbee game :geek: :ugeek: :mrgreen:

go east! :D
Ultimate Frisbee is huge at our school. We have an intramural team that meets everyday after school for a good 1-2 hours just playing frisbee. Many of the people who play are on our Science O. team as well. I wish I could say I play with them but they play mostly during softball season. It'd be great fun to get some teams together at tournaments to play against each other.
I really wish we had that, I would join it in a heartbeat. But, we should really be discussing nats, I just don't have any ideas right now, as I've never gone to nats or the campus. :roll:
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
SOninja

Post by SOninja »

me neither
i really wanna go to nats. (who doesn't though? If you don't, can i have your spot?)
2009 States: :D
Crime busters <3 - 1st
*Reach for the Stars* - 1st
Anatomy - 7th

SO forever

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." -Charles Austin Beard

Return to “2009 Nationals”