2010 Illinois Full-Ride

scienceolympiadist
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2010 Illinois Full-Ride

Post by scienceolympiadist »

If you haven't heard before, U of Illinois is awarding all Div C Nationals gold winner full-rides to students who choose to attend its university. This is probably an once-in-lifetime opportunity. For upcoming seniors aspiring to win this, how feasible do you think this is, given the timing of it in late May?
Coach Marz

Re: 2010 Illinois Full-Ride

Post by Coach Marz »

I would think that any student who won a full ride to Illinois would be able to back out of their school and go there, however, I think this full ride much better serves 11th graders. I am sure the university expects only a fraction of these students to accept the scholarship, but if you think you capture 1st then you should apply before hand anyway.
Deeisenberg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by Deeisenberg »

The date of the competition is, unfortunately, after the final May 1st date that the vast majority of colleges, including the University of Illinois, have as their final deadline. This means that by the time of the competition and thus, gold medal winning, the vast majority, if not all, seniors who would win gold medals would have already locked in their choice for college. It is true that even then you can back out, however you will lose your deposit (not much of a sacrifice for a full ride), and generally, no other college will accept you for a year. If the University of Illinois wanted to however, they may be able to admit seniors after the final deadline if they forfeit their deposit to the institution they would otherwise be attending, but I would highly doubt that they would do this.
Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Entomology, Rocks & Minerals, Ornithology, Ecology
Nationals 2008: 1st in Herpetology
Nationals 2009: 1st in Herpetology, 2nd in Fossils

Harriton Class of 2010
scienceolympiadist

Coach Marz wrote:but if you think you capture 1st then you should apply before hand anyway.
*sigh* so the question is, how confidant can you be, that you'll win at least one gold. it'll be the risk of our live. i am a senior, and i realize, if we make nationals, and may 1st is indeed the final deadline with no flexibility, this may be the biggest decision of my life
manutd94
State: PA

Post by manutd94 »

For sophomores to win a national gold would be hard, but quite possible. A sophomore could have a really good partner who's a senior or junior who owns that particular event, having won national medals in that event. With this being said, I know from my school a guy, as a sophomore, won 2nd at Nationals in Astronomy going into the event alone. I feel bad for those seniors who will miss out on the scholarship because it really is such a great opportunity to save tons of money, which is especially important with the state of our economy.
2010 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing
2010 Nationals: 3rd Astronomy, 5th Remote Sensing
2011 States: 1st Astronomy, 2nd Wind Power, 5th Fossils
2011 Nationals: 1st Astronomy, 6th Wind Power
2012 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing, 3rd Chemistry Lab

4 life-changing years.
rockhound
State: FL

Post by rockhound »

If you were a senior who is confident enough that you think you will go to Nationals and will probably get a gold medal in an event as well as being someone who wants to go to University of Ill for free you might as well spend the $40 to apply.
scienceolympiadist

rockhound wrote:If you were a senior who is confident enough that you think you will go to Nationals and will probably get a gold medal in an event as well as being someone who wants to go to University of Ill for free you might as well spend the $40 to apply.
ha, the $40 is negligible. not being able to go to another great school that you got in, if you don't win this scholarship........would be devastating. that said, i sent an email to UIUC admission, and here's the reply:

"You will need to accept your admissions by May 1st but you can always let us know later if you will not be attending the U of I. Their is no money involved when accepting our offer of admissions, the money comes in to play when you choose to fill out a housing contract."

so, YAY FOR SENIORS?!
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

If you're living on campus though, housing deposits are usually due by May 1.

Either way, pay your deposit for your top choice, then if you do get a full ride and wish to go to that school, you lose your deposit. Which wouldn't be anything compared to what you'd be saving.
scienceolympiadist

i took a peek at the admission requirements/process for UIUC...it's like a joke
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

So did I...it looks about average for public universities to me. Not much different than a lot of the schools I applied to.

Return to “2009 Nationals”