Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2010 Illinois Full-Ride

Post by Aia »

Just a few thoughts about this, numberwise:

There are 23 events, so you could have at most 48 gold medalists (including Picture This and Experimental Design as 3 person events). Again ,this is assuming none of the medalists received multiple gold medals. Realistically, how many C division gold medal winners are seniors? Perhaps half? Or maybe even more like 60%? I would imagine that a significant number of these seniors would stick with original college plans.

The underlying thought here is this: how many students actually accept the scholarship? I believe the scholarship is a wonderful incentive, but I'm estimating only 50% of gold medalists take the scholarship in the long run. Not to mention, if you are winning gold medals at the national competition, you may have your sights set on even more prestigious colleges.

Then again, given the shape of the economy, who knows how many will accept the scholarship. This question is a tough one to pin down!
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

I'd think that would sound about right. I received a full ride to one of the schools I applied to for next year (which I accepted), and while talking to somebody involved with that scholarship afterward, he said that on average about half of those awarded the scholarship actually use it, and about half still decide to go elsewhere. Given how late it's given, I could see the actual percentage being less.
gyourkoshaven
Division: C
State: PA

Post by gyourkoshaven »

I have much less knowledge and experience about this type of thing than the high schoolers, but I figure I'll throw in my two cents. If I were looking for an engineering major, then I would have a tough time turning down a free offer to attend one of the nation's top engineering institutions, regardless of my age. But I would actually be less likely to accept this if I was a sophomore. I mean what if you completely change your mind about what you want to do? If I was a junior, I'd have to figure out soon what I wanted to do and might just accept based on the fact that it's a pretty good university. And when you're a senior, obviously you're in big trouble if you don't know where you want to go to school by late May. Obviously everyone's unique economic situation will play a factor, as parents are less likely to say "We'll pay for wherever your talents take you" than "We'll pay for wherever your talents take you to a state school" in the recession.
Strath Haven MS:
2008: Regionals-3, States-5
2009: Regionals-2, States-4
2010: Regionals-1, States-2, Nationals-19 :)
2011 (Co-captain): Regionals-1, States-1, Nationals-11 :D

Nationals: Aquifers-37, Compute This-13, Dynamic Planet-25, Ecology-6, Experimental Design-7, Junkyard-33

Moving to C...
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

In essence, that makes sense. However, without knowing the details of the offer, I doubt you'd actually be committed to that school when the scholarship is awarded. I don't see why you couldn't still apply and enroll elsewhere.
scienceolympiadist
State: OH

Post by scienceolympiadist »

of course upcoming seniors like myself will apply to other pretigious schools. but I'll keep Illinois as a viable option open to the very end. this way, you have other schools to go to, if you don't win 1st
Deeisenberg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Deeisenberg »

andrewwski wrote:In essence, that makes sense. However, without knowing the details of the offer, I doubt you'd actually be committed to that school when the scholarship is awarded. I don't see why you couldn't still apply and enroll elsewhere.
You must remember that almost every school has the same May 1st deadline that will have passed by the time of nationals. Most people will have to commit to either Illinois or another school before the scholarship would be awarded. I also don't think that U IL will extend the deadline if you win a gold (though I hope they do). I mean you could back out of going to a school after the deadline, and, if the UIUC would allow you to, go there, however you would likely lose a hefty deposit (though not nearly as hefty as tuition).
Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Entomology, Rocks & Minerals, Ornithology, Ecology
Nationals 2008: 1st in Herpetology
Nationals 2009: 1st in Herpetology, 2nd in Fossils

Harriton Class of 2010
scienceolympiadist

inuyashakusho wrote: You must remember that almost every school has the same May 1st deadline that will have passed by the time of nationals. Most people will have to commit to either Illinois or another school before the scholarship would be awarded. I also don't think that U IL will extend the deadline if you win a gold (though I hope they do). I mean you could back out of going to a school after the deadline, and, if the UIUC would allow you to, go there, however you would likely lose a hefty deposit (though not nearly as hefty as tuition).
actually, I contacted the Admission office at UIUC, and I was told that you can accept the commitance to UIUC by May 1st, and can withdrawl from it later (after Nationals). so, i guess you could just commit yourself to 2 schools (Illinois and other school) on May 1st, and withdrawl from one of them after Nationals
tad_k_22

Post by tad_k_22 »

Your other school might not be all that happy about that.
Old Events:
Astronomy, Remote Sensing (Both Mars and Global Warming), Dynamic Planet (Oceanography/Earthquakes and Volcanoes), It's About Time, Technical Problem Solving, and I really don't want to count, but did fail at-Fermi Questions.
Deeisenberg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Deeisenberg »

They certainly would not be happy, but as far as I know, if you decide not to go to a school after accepting the final decision, all they can do is keep your deposit. (and be fairly angry at you)
Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Entomology, Rocks & Minerals, Ornithology, Ecology
Nationals 2008: 1st in Herpetology
Nationals 2009: 1st in Herpetology, 2nd in Fossils

Harriton Class of 2010
scienceolympiadist

are there even monetary deposits due by May 1st? again, UIUC said there are none, except for housing contracts...

Return to “2009 Nationals”