2010 Illinois Full-Ride

binary010101
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2010 Illinois Full-Ride

Post by binary010101 »

This doesn't really apply to a lot of us, though, since most of us (meaning people who compete in SO in general) don't expect to get to nationals in the first place, much less get a gold medal.
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.
manutd94

Post by manutd94 »

We would probably all strive for higher (better University) than UIUC, even though it is exceptional in Civil Engineering and a few other specific elements. With this being said, it would still be nice to attend college on a scholarship knowing that you're saving lots of money, whether it's for graduate school, or sheerly on the thoughts of having your parents save lots of money for to use at their own mere expenses.
2010 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing
2010 Nationals: 3rd Astronomy, 5th Remote Sensing
2011 States: 1st Astronomy, 2nd Wind Power, 5th Fossils
2011 Nationals: 1st Astronomy, 6th Wind Power
2012 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing, 3rd Chemistry Lab

4 life-changing years.
scienceolympiadist
State: OH

Post by scienceolympiadist »

manutd94 wrote:We would probably all strive for higher (better University) than UIUC, even though it is exceptional in Civil Engineering and a few other specific elements. With this being said, it would still be nice to attend college on a scholarship knowing that you're saving lots of money, whether it's for graduate school, or sheerly on the thoughts of having your parents save lots of money for to use at their own mere expenses.
i agree. and to know that you've earned it yourself by working so hard during high school in a club you loved so much. very rewarding
Deeisenberg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Deeisenberg »

manutd94 wrote:We would probably all strive for higher (better University) than UIUC, even though it is exceptional in Civil Engineering and a few other specific elements. With this being said, it would still be nice to attend college on a scholarship knowing that you're saving lots of money, whether it's for graduate school, or sheerly on the thoughts of having your parents save lots of money for to use at their own mere expenses.
The University of Illinois is a fine school. Urbana Champaign is the flagship campus. UIUC is in the top 40 universities in the country. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is by no stretch of the imagination anything less than a good school, it is one of the top 10 public universities in the country.
Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Entomology, Rocks & Minerals, Ornithology, Ecology
Nationals 2008: 1st in Herpetology
Nationals 2009: 1st in Herpetology, 2nd in Fossils

Harriton Class of 2010
tad_k_22

Post by tad_k_22 »

The kid above is right---UIUC is a great school. Nothing in the top 50 is laughable, especially with today's college admissions. SATs and Grades don't mean everything---and with many schools, they barely mean anything. It's a much different process than you'd expect, and if anybody that was a sophomore or junior and managed to win a gold at nats got the scholarship they should seriously consider UIUC, especially if going to an ivy-type school would be a burden on your family financially.
Old Events:
Astronomy, Remote Sensing (Both Mars and Global Warming), Dynamic Planet (Oceanography/Earthquakes and Volcanoes), It's About Time, Technical Problem Solving, and I really don't want to count, but did fail at-Fermi Questions.
scienceolympiadist

tad_k_22 wrote:The kid above is right---UIUC is a great school. Nothing in the top 50 is laughable, especially with today's college admissions. SATs and Grades don't mean everything---and with many schools, they barely mean anything. It's a much different process than you'd expect, and if anybody that was a sophomore or junior and managed to win a gold at nats got the scholarship they should seriously consider UIUC, especially if going to an ivy-type school would be a burden on your family financially.
hey, seniors can seriously consider it too. that's what we've been discussing here!
Deeisenberg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Deeisenberg »

I will be a senior, and while I will definitely apply, and hope for the scholarship, I will try to weasel my way into getting it for multiple past national firsts in order to ensure I get it. I highly doubt it will work, but I know someone on our team who was an alternate when we got a team first, and even though she didn't compete they extended the offer. I would have to be very lucky for that to work. At any rate, while I think any senior without a problem with the UIUC should certainly apply, the offer is much more practical and especially more convenient for underclassmen and juniors.
Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Entomology, Rocks & Minerals, Ornithology, Ecology
Nationals 2008: 1st in Herpetology
Nationals 2009: 1st in Herpetology, 2nd in Fossils

Harriton Class of 2010
scienceolympiadist

inuyashakusho wrote:I will be a senior, and while I will definitely apply, and hope for the scholarship, I will try to weasel my way into getting it for multiple past national firsts in order to ensure I get it. I highly doubt it will work, but I know someone on our team who was an alternate when we got a team first, and even though she didn't compete they extended the offer. I would have to be very lucky for that to work. At any rate, while I think any senior without a problem with the UIUC should certainly apply, the offer is much more practical and especially more convenient for underclassmen and juniors.
It'll definitely be more convenient for them. If they do win, they'll save themselves so much trouble by not having to live through the pain of college application process in their senior year. All they would need to do is apply to Illinois, and be done.
fmtiger124
State: NY

Post by fmtiger124 »

scienceolympiadist wrote:
inuyashakusho wrote:I will be a senior, and while I will definitely apply, and hope for the scholarship, I will try to weasel my way into getting it for multiple past national firsts in order to ensure I get it. I highly doubt it will work, but I know someone on our team who was an alternate when we got a team first, and even though she didn't compete they extended the offer. I would have to be very lucky for that to work. At any rate, while I think any senior without a problem with the UIUC should certainly apply, the offer is much more practical and especially more convenient for underclassmen and juniors.
It'll definitely be more convenient for them. If they do win, they'll save themselves so much trouble by not having to live through the pain of college application process in their senior year. All they would need to do is apply to Illinois, and be done.
not necessarially--they still have to go visit the campus for an official tour--and who knows they might not like it or it could be too far away for them--there are a number of factors that would make them not take it
binary010101

Post by binary010101 »

It's still worth a lot, especially if you live outside of Illinois. Why wouldn't you take free money?
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.

Return to “2009 Nationals”