National vs. AP exam dates

dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CO

Re: National vs. AP exam dates

Postby dudeincolorado » August 14th, 2008, 12:59 pm

:D thats so much like my expirence with science word. I reviewed and learned so much about general science i was surprized by myself. imidiatly after doing the event i knew that my partner and i did pretty much the best we could of (which was 4th) but we were still happy and event though we didnt medal i felt happy thay we did it at all. But you do have to admit you're at least a little happy when you get a medal that you worked for. 8-)
Last edited by dudeincolorado on March 20th, 2009, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SO stressed!

speedycat129
State: -

Postby speedycat129 » August 14th, 2008, 6:43 pm

I'm not entirely qualified to say anything here, but I've been to Nationals, and last year I won a medal in Chem Lab. All the studying that I did for my AP Chem test? That much less that I need to review for SO. Studying reactions, etc. for SO? There was a section on the AP test that that knowledge was very useful for.

So, I've learned plenty from doing SO. I still wouldn't trade my trip to Nationals for anything, because I got closer to my team members, met some cool people, and just had a blast. Would I miss AP tests for it? Absolutely. Like people have said, there are make-up dates.

SiegeLord wrote:
Science Olympiad Brochure wrote:Science Olympiad is a national non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of K-12 science education, increasing male, female and minority interest in science, creating a technologically-literate workforce and providing recognition for outstanding achievement by both students and teachers. These goals are achieved by participating in Science Olympiad tournaments and non-competitive events, incorporating Science Olympiad into classroom curriculum and attending teacher training institutes.

The goal of SO is education. Competitions and such are only the means of achieving that, not the ends. You are not a loser if you didn't medal or make States or Nationals: if you have obtained knowledge and skill in Science, then you have won anyway.

I agree with the sentiment, but competition is a way of testing just how much you know about a subject. Plus, people go to competitions for the same reason that they play sports. They enjoy doing well, and competing against other people, (and the recognition for doing well isn't bad either.) It's kind of like the real Olympics. People will go just for the experience, even if they don't make it to the finals of their event. It's why people are willing to stand for 5 hours just so they can march in the opening ceremony. The athletes involved may miss out on tournaments where they could make money 9in this analogy, representing AP testing), but they choose to go to the Olympics.

I'm not sure exactly which side I'm arguing against. I'm not even sure if any of this was helpful. I just felt like getting my thoughts out there.
Pueri stupidi sunt. Eos lapidate.

binary010101
Division: Grad
State: PA

Postby binary010101 » January 3rd, 2009, 6:35 pm

I don't have to worry about this, seeing as that my team probably won't make it to nats.
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.

denmarksoccer
State: PA

Postby denmarksoccer » January 5th, 2009, 6:20 pm

binary010101 wrote:I don't have to worry about this, seeing as that my team probably won't make it to nats.

ditto. I'm only in 8th grade but I would gladly skip AP tests to go to nationals. Unless I had soccer, in which case I would go to soccer. Ooops, guess that doesn't make me a true science olympian.
2010:
Pentathlon-1@ regs, 4@ states, 16@ nationals
Road Scholar-2@ regs, 8@ states, 31st@ nationals
Disease Detectives-2@ regs, 1st@ states, 5@ nationals
Bio-Process Lab- 2@ states, 11@ nationals
Physical Science Lab- 38@ nationals
Team-1@ regs, 2@ states, 19@ nationals

Moving up to C.

Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Postby Phenylethylamine » March 20th, 2009, 5:38 pm

I'd just like to point out that having gone to Nationals twice doesn't make me any less eager to go again... and yes, it was a great experience both times; clearly not the be-all and end-all to SciO, especially since I still vastly prefer the campus of SUNY New Paltz to either of the schools Nats was at, but definitely worth the work and everything.
Most people are very interested in/excited about Nationals, some aren't, everyone is entitled to their own opinion... personally, I do think it's worth it, but I wouldn't argue with someone who doesn't think that way.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009

insanity
State: CA

Postby insanity » April 21st, 2009, 10:51 pm

hahahha...definitely skipping APs (although its just AP Eng Lang/Comp) for Nationals. It's such an awesome experience :D
Suzanne Middle School Science Olympiad '06, '07
Troy High School Science Olympiad '08, '09, '10 - Former Co-Captain.

'06-'10. I'll never forget these 5 years. :]

Return to “2009 Nationals”