Anyone medaled at Nats?

wlsguy
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anyone medaled at Nats?

Post by wlsguy »

Aia wrote:Here's an interesting thought on this team arrangement: suppose a state currently has one team participating at the National level, and this team hopes to crack top ten in order to gain a second team for the state. Now, suppose several other teams in the same state also want to qualify for Nationals. Would rival teams try to help the state-winning team between State and Nationals in order to increase their chances of qualifying for Nationals the following year? Theoretically, this team arrangement could foster collaboration within a state. It wouldn't be too difficult for a rival team to share engineering from a gold medal device, or even share resources for academic events.
I think this type of collaboration is one of the missing points in SO because no one wants to give up their secrets but this is still a good point that I hadn't considered. Basically everyone would be rivals until after States. It would then be better to help each other to try to do everything possible to make the State represetitive team the best possible (to win the extra slots for next year).
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:However, the problem would be that the amount of teams every year would change, which I am not sure would work so well. I tend to be one of those people who likes nice round numbers. Another small problem I foresee with this is that it puts an immense amount of pressure on the top teams to do very well so their state can get the bonus spot.
The number of teams every year can change a little anyway, depending on the facilities, funding, etc. Some years it's actually less than 60 anyway.

As for the pressure bit, there's already a tremendous amount of pressure on the front-runners to place as high as possible at Nationals- it's always been a high-pressure competition for those who think they have a chance at medaling. I don't think this method would put any considerably greater amount of pressure on anyone.

Just an idea- this year, the 1st place team was way ahead, but 2-11 were very close, and then 12+ was all further behind. I haven't verified this with other years' score sheets, but I think it's not uncommon for it to be unevenly spread like that. I don't know if this would work, but it might make sense to choose how many teams get one added for the next year based on these point groupings... as in, if this were hypothetically implemented this coming year, the states of 1-11 would get another team, because they were clearly ahead of the next few teams based on overall scores. If one year, say, the top 9 were really close, and then there was a big gap before the 10th, then 1-9 would get an extra. If it was more than 12 before you saw a serious gap like that, then only the top 12 would get it, I guess. A "big gap" would have to be specifically defined... I don't know, more than 30 points? 40 points? Something like that, I'm not sure what would work the best.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
gyourkoshaven
Division: C
State: PA

Post by gyourkoshaven »

But in 2008 Solon beat White Pines by 1 point. http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... ll_B08.pdf
Strath Haven MS:
2008: Regionals-3, States-5
2009: Regionals-2, States-4
2010: Regionals-1, States-2, Nationals-19 :)
2011 (Co-captain): Regionals-1, States-1, Nationals-11 :D

Nationals: Aquifers-37, Compute This-13, Dynamic Planet-25, Ecology-6, Experimental Design-7, Junkyard-33

Moving to C...
scienceolympiadist

Post by scienceolympiadist »

the great point disparity between 1st and 2nd place teams in Div B this year was unprecedented
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by 49ers »

gyourkoshaven wrote:But in 2008 Solon beat White Pines by 1 point. http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... ll_B08.pdf
wow really?? thats pretty close!!!!!! cool 8-) 8-) 8-) :D :o :shock: :o
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

scienceolympiadist wrote:the great point disparity between 1st and 2nd place teams in Div B this year was unprecedented
Yes, but large point disparities are more common further down the placings, right?
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
scienceolympiadist

Post by scienceolympiadist »

i don't think so. i just know that 2-11 were pretty close. below that, i dont usually pay attention to their scores
kp9ssa
Division: B

Post by kp9ssa »

it was also pretty close from 11-18
States

1st- Anatomy
4th- Dynamic Planet
2nd- Water Quality
2nd- Write it Do it