Dr. Carson's Speech

GoggleGeek
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dr. Carson's Speech

Post by GoggleGeek »

theoneandonly wrote:For more discussion: What did everyone think about the God section at the very end of his speech?

I liked it because I'm a Christian, but I can see why it could have been unnecessary and may have turned some people away from the whole point of the message.
Umm... That was the whole point of the message... That is why he put it at the end, as a clincher.

BTW there is a movie out about his life called "gifted hands", featuring some closeup shots of brain surgery if you are interested. ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gifted_Han ... rson_Story
Bring back MP!
Over9000
Division: B

Post by Over9000 »

On GOD:
I'm biased here. Catholic. Can't get MORE biased than that. But I think that the God part, though unnecessary, was appreciated by many people. It's comforting to know that one of the smartest people in that Nation can balance faith with Science. And, let's face it: America is STILL a Judeo-Christian nation, no matter how many people keep on 'converting to atheism'. :P We have "In God we Trust" and everything all over. Just let it be, like we left most anything else be.

On Chivalry:
I don't think he meant it expressly toward guys. I think he just directed that part at them because as a man he could relate BETTER to us than the females. So it goes.
Alternates Rule
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

Over9000 wrote:On GOD:
I'm biased here. Catholic. Can't get MORE biased than that. But I think that the God part, though unnecessary, was appreciated by many people. It's comforting to know that one of the smartest people in that Nation can balance faith with Science. And, let's face it: America is STILL a Judeo-Christian nation, no matter how many people keep on 'converting to atheism'. :P We have "In God we Trust" and everything all over. Just let it be, like we left most anything else be.
I don't want to get into an argument here, but America should not be inherently a Judeo-Christian nation. I'm not saying anything about atheism; I just mean that freedom of religion- which is one of the fundamental rights of our country- means not only that you can't prevent other people from practicing their religion, but also that you can't attempt to indoctrinate them with yours.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
plymouthian
State: MI

Post by plymouthian »

i loved it...
as far as the God part, he had the right to say it... free speech!!! how come atheists can say everything they want but when someone mentions God everyone freaks out????
sciolykid101
State: TN

Post by sciolykid101 »

GoggleGeek wrote:
theoneandonly wrote:For more discussion: What did everyone think about the God section at the very end of his speech?

I liked it because I'm a Christian, but I can see why it could have been unnecessary and may have turned some people away from the whole point of the message.
Umm... That was the whole point of the message... That is why he put it at the end, as a clincher.

BTW there is a movie out about his life called "gifted hands", featuring some closeup shots of brain surgery if you are interested. ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gifted_Han ... rson_Story
Seems like a really great movie. :)
2010 Events: Anatomy, Astronomy, Cell Biology, Protein Modeling
Looking forward to the '11 SO season!
Tennessee! Image
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY