Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dr. Carson's Speech

Post by Mr. Cool »

Man I loved Dr. Carson's speech. Awesome speaker!
Check out my Wiki page! [wiki]User:Mr. cool[/wiki]
2012 Events:
Dynamic Planet
Sounds of Music
Optics
Remote Sensing

Conveniently here to save Princess Zelda.
speedycat129

Post by speedycat129 »

Good try to get this back on topic, but with these two...

He was a truly amazing speaker. I appreciated his total disregard of P.C.
Pueri stupidi sunt. Eos lapidate.
adam124218

Post by adam124218 »

Just to get people talking, I'll post my differing opinion. :)

I did not appreciate his method of disregarding political correctness, and I'm a serious anti-PC advocate. However, there's a difference between not censoring yourself to stick with PC and going out of your way to insult people just to prove you're anti-PC. I thought that Dr. Carson's message, whether it was what he intended or not, came across not as 'I'm gonna stick it to political correctness,' but as 'I don't care if I insult people because it's okay if you don't mean it.'

I don't think you can condone making jokes about minorities under the blanket of "no offense, but..." Ultimately, it does matter if you offend other people. You can't just say, "I don't want to be politically correct, so I'm going to go ahead and make insulting jokes."
theoneandonly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by theoneandonly »

adam124218 wrote:...but as 'I don't care if I insult people because it's okay if you don't mean it.
I agree; he seemed to demonize pro-PC individuals as the 'wrong' or 'bad' people. I think his message was too aggressive. I mean, sure, you don't have to be politically correct, but there's no reason you need to belittle people who may choose their words more carefully.

For more discussion: What did everyone think about the God section at the very end of his speech?
BFan
Division: B

Post by BFan »

Mmkay thanks.
Hurrraaa!!!!
adam124218

Post by adam124218 »

theoneandonly wrote:For more discussion: What did everyone think about the God section at the very end of his speech?
I felt a little proselytized to. I didn't mind all of his references to God that were mixed into the body of the speech, but I felt it was unnecessary for him to put in an entire section of the speech about the greatness of God. I felt that the section about God capped off a message that everyone can achieve great things, but only through faith in God. It made me uncomfortable.
Mr. Cool
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TN

Post by Mr. Cool »

theoneandonly wrote:For more discussion: What did everyone think about the God section at the very end of his speech?
I liked it because I'm a Christian, but I can see why it could have been unnecessary and may have turned some people away from the whole point of the message.
Check out my Wiki page! [wiki]User:Mr. cool[/wiki]
2012 Events:
Dynamic Planet
Sounds of Music
Optics
Remote Sensing

Conveniently here to save Princess Zelda.
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado »

<.<
>.>
Budist!!!
it's a bit unessacary
SO stressed!
theoneandonly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN

Post by theoneandonly »

Our forefathers designed the Constitution to be secular. Sure, the Declaration of Independence mentioned a 'supreme' creator on a few occasions, but I think saying our country was founded on Christian ideals - and therefore we should further exert Christian ideals into law - takes that a bit far. The government is of and for the people; if the people want to be married to someone of their own gender, then it is the government's inherent duty to provide for that marriage. However, protesting the placement of a Christmas tree on a courthouse square is also a bit far. But it is in our right to do so.

I think Dr. Carson made an excellent point that we shouldn't be afraid of the use of the term 'God.' However, his tone seemed to demonize those who may not believe in God or those who promote the separation of church and state, even though it is in their right or responsibility to do so.
Deeisenberg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by Deeisenberg »

The justice he spoke to might have agreed with him, but I bet Ruth Bader Ginsburg wouldn't lol
Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Entomology, Rocks & Minerals, Ornithology, Ecology
Nationals 2008: 1st in Herpetology
Nationals 2009: 1st in Herpetology, 2nd in Fossils

Harriton Class of 2010

Return to “2009 Nationals”