Helix_Nebula_Freak
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Proposed Individual Qualification for Nationals

Post by Helix_Nebula_Freak »

No really? ;) (Sarcasm)
2010 Events: Shock Value: 1st in Region, 2nd in State Experimental Design: 2nd in State Pentatholon: 3rd in State Solar System: 2nd in Region

“The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity.” ~Rollo May
kp9ssa
Division: B

Post by kp9ssa »

solon won by over 100 points at nats this year :o :o :o :o :o
States

1st- Anatomy
4th- Dynamic Planet
2nd- Water Quality
2nd- Write it Do it

Team Overall: 1st
jazzy009
Division: Grad

Post by jazzy009 »

SOINC decided to respond to this question personally. I don't know if you've seen it already, and I'm too lazy to check back 3 pages. But here's a definite answer. Looks like teamwork will have to do!

http://soinc.org/allstar_teams
Call me coach.
dragonfly

Post by dragonfly »

This is one of the main reasons that I chose Science Olympiad over TSA in middle school (nevermind the fact that I'd heard much better things from S.O., had known the coaches already, and enjoyed it so much after my first year) and still continue in high school. The reason that Science Olympiad is so amazing is because of the fact that the whole team needs to be good and hard-working. There are countless amounts of very brilliant people out there, and I'm sure that they would deserve to have a great team like many of us are so lucky to have, but by making a team for said people we would really be ruining the spirit of Sci.Oly., as well as the competition.
``````( ) ( ) /
------------
``````( ) ( ) \

PA 2009, 1st Bridges : 2010, 1st Bridges, 1st WM : 2011, 1st ED, 3rd Towers, 4th Heli
Nats Augusta 2009, 4th Bridges : Illinois 2010, 3rd Bridges, 9th ED : Wisconsin 2011, 3rd Heli, 5th Towers : Orlando 2012, 2nd ED, 5th Towers
Event Supervisor Balsa, ED
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I think this is a great idea, except that it would be really hard to get it together. SO is a team thing, I understand, but it's nice if those people who are really dedicated and don't have dedicated teammates can move on. This isn't a replacement for the team system, just an extra reward for those who work really hard.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
sciolykid101
Division: C
State: TN

Post by sciolykid101 »

dragonfly wrote:This is one of the main reasons that I chose Science Olympiad over TSA in middle school (nevermind the fact that I'd heard much better things from S.O., had known the coaches already, and enjoyed it so much after my first year) and still continue in high school. The reason that Science Olympiad is so amazing is because of the fact that the whole team needs to be good and hard-working. There are countless amounts of very brilliant people out there, and I'm sure that they would deserve to have a great team like many of us are so lucky to have, but by making a team for said people we would really be ruining the spirit of Sci.Oly., as well as the competition.
Yeah, I had TSA in both MS and HS. The middle schoolers really bugged us SciOlyers about how TSA is greater than SciOly and whatnot. They took it so far that they put up posters.
2010 Events: Anatomy, Astronomy, Cell Biology, Protein Modeling
Looking forward to the '11 SO season!
Tennessee! Image
wlsguy
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

jazzy009 wrote:SOINC decided to respond to this question personally. I don't know if you've seen it already, and I'm too lazy to check back 3 pages. But here's a definite answer. Looks like teamwork will have to do!

http://soinc.org/allstar_teams
SOINC posted their reply more that 5 years ago. As far as I know, no one has ever been willing to pilot the idea because, while it is interesting, it is also logistically impossible.
Nationals already has a tough time accomodating the 60 teams from each division already.

For example, if Ohio had an All-Star program and sent an all star team with the first place winners in each event, it would have involved:
Solon, 9 events, 18 kids, Chardon, 3 events, 6 kids, Copley-Fairlawn, 2 events, 4 kids, Orville, 1 event, 2 kids, Mentor Memorial, 1 event, 2 kids, Revere, 1 event, 2 kids
Lee Burneson, 1 event, 2 kids, Amhurst, 1 event, 2 kids, Watts, 2 events, 4 kids, West Liberty, 1 event, 2 kids, and Northmont, 1 event, 2 kids

That is a total of 11 schools with up to 46 kids. It's really impossible to coordinate that many people.

Also, Solon is just a big school with a very dedicated program. They have multiple teams that study hard and push each other to do well. They are not unbeatable.
jazzy009

Post by jazzy009 »

wlsguy wrote:
SOINC posted their reply more that 5 years ago.
Haha, fail on my part. I was looking up division B stuff and that's the first time I saw it!

As for Solon, some team should totally dedicate themselves to beating them. I like upsets, no offense Solon people!
Call me coach.

Return to “2009 Nationals”