gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: Proposed Individual Qualification for Nationals

Post by gneissisnice »

Yeah, I can understand that there might be some individuals who excel at their events, but they are the only one on their team that really cares and does well.
But science olympiad really is a team sport, and besides, it would be very difficult to organize such a team.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
dontsenditinthemail
Been thanked: 0

Post by dontsenditinthemail »

This is a topic I have been going back and forth on for a while.

1. I love the idea of an allstar team because it would make Science Olympiad even more like a Major League sport.

2. I also love the idea of an allstar team because the best of the best should be represented at the national tournament. No offense to anybody, but some teams compete at nationals that wouldn't place top 10 in a state like OH, PA, or NY. Thus, the national competition is really like, and I truly believe this, 1/2 as hard as it could be if better teams were chosen from really competative states, or if individuals could qualify for nationals.

3. On the other hand, Science Olympiad is about being a team. You can't qualify as an individual for the NBA finals, you need your team with you, and in that sense, Science Olympiad does the right thing by not having individuals qualify.

4. There is absolutely no way to get the best people to the national competition because it is too hard to judge the best people. A state champion in a very weak state may not place top 20 at a state with really really competative teams (again, like OH, PA, or NY). The fact is that not all teams are equal, and thus it is impossible to judge people against an always differing standard.

THE BOTTOM LINE: I would rather see 3 TEAMS go from the best states (instead of just 2) than sending individuals to the national tournament. For example, Mentor, from OH, placed 5th at nationals in 2007, and didn't even get to go back in 2008. Who knows what they would have gotten considering they were the third place team at the OH state competition in 2008, and the LOWEST OH team at nationals (as in highest placing, as the OH teams at nationals placed 2nd and 3rd) placed 3rd in 2008. This would not only make 15 people happy (instead of just individuals at a time), but would also garraunteee a more competative national competition for everybody.
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

Yeah, the fact that there can only be either one or two teams from each state makes things vastly unequal, not just competitive-ness wise, but even population-wise (clearly, one team from each division from a state of 16 teams isn't equal to two teams from each division from a state of 561 teams). Is there really that much difference between having 60 teams at Nats and, say, 65-70 teams, from giving the top 5-10 states (by number of teams and/or past performance) one extra team at Nats?
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
pjgscioisamazing
State: NY

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

I personally hate teh idea of an "all star team" Science Olympiad is all about the team, the school, not just the competition of getting the best in each event from each state to go to nationals. Just my opinion, but science olympiad is perfect as is.
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
sciolykid101
Division: C
State: TN

Post by sciolykid101 »

pjgscioisamazing wrote:I personally hate teh idea of an "all star team" Science Olympiad is all about the team, the school, not just the competition of getting the best in each event from each state to go to nationals. Just my opinion, but science olympiad is perfect as is.
The exams vary from competition level. You never know who is actually better. Yeah, I like SO as it is! :D
2010 Events: Anatomy, Astronomy, Cell Biology, Protein Modeling
Looking forward to the '11 SO season!
Tennessee! Image
eak227
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by eak227 »

Phenylethylamine wrote:Is there really that much difference between having 60 teams at Nats and, say, 65-70 teams, from giving the top 5-10 states (by number of teams and/or past performance) one extra team at Nats?
Yes. OSU and Juniata in 03 and 04 only took 54 teams from each division, not 60. Why? Because for some reason, they just did not have the room for 120 teams to stay in hotels, to book all the rooms required for the events, plus just the overall added cost of another 600 or so people (that's about what 12 more teams would require). The Brain Trust probably knows more about the specifics, but cost as well as availability of housing are usually the 2 limiting factors as far as the size of national competitions go, I believe. They try to accommodate as many people as possible though. Where's Uncle Fester when you need him?
Ethan K
Valparaiso, Indiana SO Alumnus
Ben Franklin MS
Valparaiso HS
Harvard University 2012

Nationals: OSU '03, Juniata '04, Wichita State '07, George Washington '08 -- Team place: 22, 18, 11, 11
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

Oh... yeah, I see how just a few teams could add a LOT of people.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
blufoster6
Division: C
State: SC

Post by blufoster6 »

Like many of you have already have said it wouldn't be right if individuals went to Nats. And if they did it that way, would an actual team go to Nats? And there could be hundreds of different schools at the national level if they did that.
DOUBLE RAINBOW
danger will robinson
Division: B
State: CA

Post by danger will robinson »

It would be nice for the people that work really hard but aren't at a competitive school. I'm lucky enough to go to a competetive school, so I'm fine. However, someone could have a 1st place at nats Scrambler and never get past regionals because no one on their team cares. That must be really frustrating.
Science Olympiad is a tribute to Murphey's Law. This has been proven experimentally.
And no, I'm not a guy...even though my sig says will robsinson. It's a reference to Lost in Space, an ancient sci fi TV show. And the robot is the character who always says the line.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

danger will robinson wrote:It would be nice for the people that work really hard but aren't at a competitive school. I'm lucky enough to go to a competetive school, so I'm fine. However, someone could have a 1st place at nats Scrambler and never get past regionals because no one on their team cares. That must be really frustrating.
Yeah it would kinda be nice to get the best devices, being a building person, to nats.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Return to “2009 Nationals”