Proposed Individual Qualification for Nationals

eak227
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Re: Proposed Individual Qualification for Nationals

Postby eak227 » March 16th, 2009, 9:58 pm

Is there really that much difference between having 60 teams at Nats and, say, 65-70 teams, from giving the top 5-10 states (by number of teams and/or past performance) one extra team at Nats?
Yes. OSU and Juniata in 03 and 04 only took 54 teams from each division, not 60. Why? Because for some reason, they just did not have the room for 120 teams to stay in hotels, to book all the rooms required for the events, plus just the overall added cost of another 600 or so people (that's about what 12 more teams would require). The Brain Trust probably knows more about the specifics, but cost as well as availability of housing are usually the 2 limiting factors as far as the size of national competitions go, I believe. They try to accommodate as many people as possible though. Where's Uncle Fester when you need him?
Ethan K
Valparaiso, Indiana SO Alumnus
Ben Franklin MS
Valparaiso HS
Harvard University 2012

Nationals: OSU '03, Juniata '04, Wichita State '07, George Washington '08 -- Team place: 22, 18, 11, 11

Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Postby Phenylethylamine » March 17th, 2009, 4:04 am

Oh... yeah, I see how just a few teams could add a LOT of people.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009

blufoster6
Division: C
State: SC

Postby blufoster6 » March 17th, 2009, 1:36 pm

Like many of you have already have said it wouldn't be right if individuals went to Nats. And if they did it that way, would an actual team go to Nats? And there could be hundreds of different schools at the national level if they did that.
DOUBLE RAINBOW

danger will robinson
Division: B
State: CA
Location: Awaiting my nearly continuous shipments of nerd books from Amazon

Postby danger will robinson » March 17th, 2009, 6:44 pm

It would be nice for the people that work really hard but aren't at a competitive school. I'm lucky enough to go to a competetive school, so I'm fine. However, someone could have a 1st place at nats Scrambler and never get past regionals because no one on their team cares. That must be really frustrating.
Science Olympiad is a tribute to Murphey's Law. This has been proven experimentally.
And no, I'm not a guy...even though my sig says will robsinson. It's a reference to Lost in Space, an ancient sci fi TV show. And the robot is the character who always says the line.

starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Postby starpug » March 17th, 2009, 6:51 pm

It would be nice for the people that work really hard but aren't at a competitive school. I'm lucky enough to go to a competetive school, so I'm fine. However, someone could have a 1st place at nats Scrambler and never get past regionals because no one on their team cares. That must be really frustrating.
Yeah it would kinda be nice to get the best devices, being a building person, to nats.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: -

Postby rocketman1555 » March 18th, 2009, 9:07 am

1) I agree that Science Olympiad should be a team thing

but 2) there are some people that are incredibly smart, and are the state champions at certain events every year and it would sometimes be nice for them to be able to go and compete at nationals

personally, i like this idea because it would give people who otherwise wouldn't have a chance to compete a chance to do so at nationals, and since it would be a group thing...it would still be somewhat of a team...just not really
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.

fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: -

Postby fleet130 » March 18th, 2009, 4:47 pm

This thread seems to have come to pretty much the same conclusions as the national executive board arrived at several years ago! An Allstar tournament is a great idea, but nobody knows how to overcome the associated problems.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!

croman74
State: MI

Postby croman74 » March 18th, 2009, 6:16 pm

This topic will probably come up over and over again over the years. I don't think that anything will be done about it though. There are many pros to this system, but just as many cons.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson

blufoster6
State: SC

Postby blufoster6 » March 18th, 2009, 6:23 pm

Its just too difficult on the National SO peoples' part & it takes some of the thrill away from SO.
DOUBLE RAINBOW

croman74
State: MI

Postby croman74 » March 18th, 2009, 6:29 pm

It's just extra work for the National S.O. people to do, and if they decide to do it, it would be controversial. Too many people would be upset to make this decision. I believe that if they continue to go on like this nobody would get upset, but if you add an All-star tournament, too many people disagree.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson

Return to “2009 Nationals”