Interest in UIUC SciOly

Area to advertise for your competitions!
kaziscioly
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Interest in UIUC SciOly

Post by kaziscioly »

I know that the Illinois state tournament is already held at UIUC, and since most of the major teams in Illinois are from the Chicagoland area, I am not sure that an invitational would draw much attention or interest from those strong teams (Stevenson, NT, Hinsdale, LT, Waubonsie/Neuqua/Metea, etc.) considering it would cost additional money for travel and hotels when teams would be coming back later for state anyways.

However, I am curious as to if such a competition could be of use to perhaps smaller teams from schools further away from the Chicago area. Since most invites tend to be closer to Chicago, perhaps an invitational at UIUC could be of help to teams that otherwise would have to travel 50-100+ miles to find a quality invitational in IL. This could also influence the programs at those schools to grow larger or even start a new program at a school that doesn't have one! As you can probably guess, I am not from central/southern IL, so I really don't know what the structure is like for SciOly down there or if there are even many high schools that would garner enough students to form a team. If you have anything to share about this, your advice or thoughts are appreciated!

Please leave comments on thoughts about this, its feasibility, and usefulness, and feel free to message me if you are in the Urbana-Champaign area and you are also interested in some form of SciOly outreach! Hopefully something can be started in the near future.
These users thanked the author kaziscioly for the post:
Nydauron (May 21st, 2020, 11:53 pm)
UChicago_SciO

Re: Interest in UIUC SciOly

Post by UChicago_SciO »

Sort of off-subject, but we're planning an invite at UChicago and would LOVE to have help from UIUC students. It might be difficult for us to arrange transportation/housing but at least we can feed you? Please contact us if that's something you guys would be interested in! Email: [email protected]
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

UChicago_SciO wrote:Sort of off-subject, but we're planning an invite at UChicago and would LOVE to have help from UIUC students. It might be difficult for us to arrange transportation/housing but at least we can feed you? Please contact us if that's something you guys would be interested in! Email: [email protected]
Similarly UChicago should help with UIUC.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
fanjiatian
Division: Grad

Post by fanjiatian »

I think they ran Herpetology C, Materials Science C and Mystery Design B at Illinois States this year :)
UChicago_SciO

Post by UChicago_SciO »

bernard wrote:
UChicago_SciO wrote:Sort of off-subject, but we're planning an invite at UChicago and would LOVE to have help from UIUC students. It might be difficult for us to arrange transportation/housing but at least we can feed you? Please contact us if that's something you guys would be interested in! Email: [email protected]
Similarly UChicago should help with UIUC.
Yes, we would love to!! And yes, as fanjiatian mentioned, we ran a few events at State this past year and are planning to help again.

Return to “2017 Competition Advertising”