Penn State Invitational in the works

Area to advertise for your competitions!
ILikePie123
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Penn State Invitational in the works

Post by ILikePie123 »

In terms of writing tests, we're planning to have Penn State students and professors take care of that.
maxxxxx

Post by maxxxxx »

ILikePie123 wrote:Hm...that's good news for us! The numbers aren't too important as long as there are enough that there will be a real competition (as in, more than five teams). We'll try to get information about dining, facilities, etc. out as soon as possible in this thread. Would it be better to get catering, delegate to another student organization (Conestoga outsources its food sales to a club) or give people dining vouchers for the dining halls on campus? Also where to advertise so the most people will see it? I've been pleasantly surprised about the amount of response to this thread, but scioly.org has a limited reach.

Meanwhile...we're trying to think of a good name (I know, already getting ahead of myself). My best idea so far is SOAPS (Science Olympiad at Penn State), though I feel like that's ripping off SOUP (Science Olympiad University of Pennsylvania).
As far as food goes and I think giving vouchers for the dining halls is a good idea, as well as putting info about local restaurants(especially those that deliver) on your website so teams have other options.

Maybe for a name just PSU Scioly would work. PSUSO is good but it's also very similar to Princeton's PUSO. You could also try SOAPSU but it's kind of weird.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

One thing you could consider doing to help get PA teams is to run the PA State schedule. Most other invitationals either run their own or they run the National schedule. The downside would be this might limit the number of out of state schools you get but it would certainly set you apart in the eyes of the PA teams.
ILikePie123

Post by ILikePie123 »

That's in interesting idea, but could you explain what about running the states schedule would appeal more to PA teams? Is it about giving students practice with competiting under similar conditions? Also, I'm not sure the states schedule would be out by the time we finalize everything (probably late December).
maxxxxx

Post by maxxxxx »

ILikePie123 wrote:That's in interesting idea, but could you explain what about running the states schedule would appeal more to PA teams? Is it about giving students practice with competiting under similar conditions? Also, I'm not sure the states schedule would be out by the time we finalize everything (probably late December).
Giving teams the opportunity to compete with the same event conflicts as States helps a lot with refining the team in terms of which events each member does. This past year the schedule was released around mid-December so it may be released in time for you this year.

Also, make sure you tell PASO about this invite once the date is finalized so they can put it up on their website. That should get you more attention.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

maxxxxx wrote:
ILikePie123 wrote:That's in interesting idea, but could you explain what about running the states schedule would appeal more to PA teams? Is it about giving students practice with competiting under similar conditions? Also, I'm not sure the states schedule would be out by the time we finalize everything (probably late December).
Giving teams the opportunity to compete with the same event conflicts as States helps a lot with refining the team in terms of which events each member does. This past year the schedule was released around mid-December so it may be released in time for you this year.
It is the same reason why so many teams hoping to make Nationals like to go to invitationals that run the National schedule. It gives your team practice dealing with 15 team members with those specific conflicts. In the same way the teams going to PA states and hoping to move on generally never see a schedule like that at States.

It is true that last year the schedule was released in mid-December but I remember that they were hoping to release it in October so that it would make it easier for Invitationals and Regionals to try and match it as much as possible. Since this the was the first year to try and release it that early I am sure the delay was them just working out the kinks.

Now I know that last year I was hearing from teams in October wanting to know the schedule for our invitational in mid-December. I am sure that you can set their minds at easy and get away with releasing your schedule a month out if you tell them it will mirror the State's schedule.

And certainly make sure to register with the State and they will give you the information you will need to register with the National organization.
ILikePie123

Post by ILikePie123 »

If we get the schedule in time, we'll definitely consider it. However, I remember this year's States schedule was a problem for many teams given the fact that there were so many conflicts, which is one issue I see with going off of someone else's schedule. I guess we should wait and see.

Out of curiosity, which invitational do you run?
GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

ILikePie123 wrote:If we get the schedule in time, we'll definitely consider it. However, I remember this year's States schedule was a problem for many teams given the fact that there were so many conflicts, which is one issue I see with going off of someone else's schedule. I guess we should wait and see.

Out of curiosity, which invitational do you run?
Those "many conflicts" are the exact reason why teams would want to compete with that schedule ahead of time. Of course based on the number of teams and available facilities you might not be able to match someone else's schedule.

I run the Rustin invitational.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

GoldenKnight1 wrote:Those "many conflicts" are the exact reason why teams would want to compete with that schedule ahead of time. Of course based on the number of teams and available facilities you might not be able to match someone else's schedule.
This part of why our invitational (Chattahoochee) uses self-scheduling - tournament schedules in the southeast are... varied... and usually release relatively late (within a month of the tournament typically), so I figure teams would appreciate the lessening of conflicts.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
ILikePie123

Post by ILikePie123 »

What's self scheduling? Is it when teams get to take the test at their own convenience, kind of like how trial events are run at the regional/state level?

I think that might work better if we have lower turnout.

Return to “2017 Competition Advertising”