Penn State Invitational in the works

Area to advertise for your competitions!
ILikePie123
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Penn State Invitational in the works

Post by ILikePie123 » August 9th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Also, how to recruit volunteers? I've heard free food works wonders. :)

GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach

Post by GoldenKnight1 » August 9th, 2017, 6:59 pm

ILikePie123 wrote:Based on East Stroudsburg's advice, we've set our tentative date at 1/20.

For those of you who have experience with college invites, is it difficult booking space on the weekends when most students and faculty are still on campus? I have several buildings staked out, but I'm not sure whether or not we'll be able to use them.
I agree that 1/20 is likely the best date for you. There are not a lot of PA teams that go to MIT so you have a rather high chance of getting those teams that aren't willing to travel as far as MIT. Your location really helps make it possible for some teams in the middle of the state to have an easy option.

Regarding 12/16, I know that my team would not have a problem with that date but many programs do. I know this past year we had the Rustin invitational the weekend before Christmas but some of the schools did not come because their team members were already away on break, on early vacation with their family, or saving money around the holidays. Am I correct in thinking that the December date would help with facilities but hurt regarding volunteers while the later dates would be the other way around?

ILikePie123

Post by ILikePie123 » August 10th, 2017, 3:23 pm

GoldenKnight1 wrote:
ILikePie123 wrote:Based on East Stroudsburg's advice, we've set our tentative date at 1/20.

For those of you who have experience with college invites, is it difficult booking space on the weekends when most students and faculty are still on campus? I have several buildings staked out, but I'm not sure whether or not we'll be able to use them.
I agree that 1/20 is likely the best date for you. There are not a lot of PA teams that go to MIT so you have a rather high chance of getting those teams that aren't willing to travel as far as MIT. Your location really helps make it possible for some teams in the middle of the state to have an easy option.

Regarding 12/16, I know that my team would not have a problem with that date but many programs do. I know this past year we had the Rustin invitational the weekend before Christmas but some of the schools did not come because their team members were already away on break, on early vacation with their family, or saving money around the holidays. Am I correct in thinking that the December date would help with facilities but hurt regarding volunteers while the later dates would be the other way around?
Yeah, that's one of the biggest trade offs involved in choosing a date. Based on your knowledge of science Olympiad in Pennsylvania, do you think most coaches/captains would be willing to take a chance with a new invitational that's not Ivy League?

GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach

Post by GoldenKnight1 » August 10th, 2017, 4:06 pm

ILikePie123 wrote:Based on your knowledge of science Olympiad in Pennsylvania, do you think most coaches/captains would be willing to take a chance with a new invitational that's not Ivy League?
I believe that your location is a huge selling point for some teams. For teams within 2 hours of your school this is clearly able to be a day trip. This cuts down on the time obligations for both the students and coaches/chaperones. It also will cut down on the cost as most can use a school but just for one day, will require less money for food, and no need for a hotel. Teams within this 2 hour radius will have this as a great advantage that unfortunately they have not had before unlike those teams on the eastern side of the states with NP, Tiger, and Conestoga or those on the western side with , Kenston, Solon, or Mentor. Those closer to the eastern or western boarder may still decide to come to yours but that would be based on other details like cost (Princeton is free this year), coach's responsibilities (writing test, supervising, judging), and your ability to communicate details to us. Let us know about food options, time for the award ceremony, parking, event sign ups, tours, lectures, etc with plenty of notice. The ivy league thing may seem important to some but we have had plenty team members decide to attend PSU and love to tour the campus if they have time. Your numbers might be low the first year but if teams see that it was generally successful the first year you will see more teams after that.

ILikePie123

Post by ILikePie123 » August 10th, 2017, 7:13 pm

Hm...that's good news for us! The numbers aren't too important as long as there are enough that there will be a real competition (as in, more than five teams). We'll try to get information about dining, facilities, etc. out as soon as possible in this thread. Would it be better to get catering, delegate to another student organization (Conestoga outsources its food sales to a club) or give people dining vouchers for the dining halls on campus? Also where to advertise so the most people will see it? I've been pleasantly surprised about the amount of response to this thread, but scioly.org has a limited reach.

Meanwhile...we're trying to think of a good name (I know, already getting ahead of myself). My best idea so far is SOAPS (Science Olympiad at Penn State), though I feel like that's ripping off SOUP (Science Olympiad University of Pennsylvania).

ILikePie123

Post by ILikePie123 » August 10th, 2017, 7:34 pm

In terms of writing tests, we're planning to have Penn State students and professors take care of that.

maxxxxx

Post by maxxxxx » August 10th, 2017, 8:24 pm

ILikePie123 wrote:Hm...that's good news for us! The numbers aren't too important as long as there are enough that there will be a real competition (as in, more than five teams). We'll try to get information about dining, facilities, etc. out as soon as possible in this thread. Would it be better to get catering, delegate to another student organization (Conestoga outsources its food sales to a club) or give people dining vouchers for the dining halls on campus? Also where to advertise so the most people will see it? I've been pleasantly surprised about the amount of response to this thread, but scioly.org has a limited reach.

Meanwhile...we're trying to think of a good name (I know, already getting ahead of myself). My best idea so far is SOAPS (Science Olympiad at Penn State), though I feel like that's ripping off SOUP (Science Olympiad University of Pennsylvania).
As far as food goes and I think giving vouchers for the dining halls is a good idea, as well as putting info about local restaurants(especially those that deliver) on your website so teams have other options.

Maybe for a name just PSU Scioly would work. PSUSO is good but it's also very similar to Princeton's PUSO. You could also try SOAPSU but it's kind of weird.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017

GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach

Post by GoldenKnight1 » August 11th, 2017, 4:44 am

One thing you could consider doing to help get PA teams is to run the PA State schedule. Most other invitationals either run their own or they run the National schedule. The downside would be this might limit the number of out of state schools you get but it would certainly set you apart in the eyes of the PA teams.

ILikePie123

Post by ILikePie123 » August 12th, 2017, 7:08 am

That's in interesting idea, but could you explain what about running the states schedule would appeal more to PA teams? Is it about giving students practice with competiting under similar conditions? Also, I'm not sure the states schedule would be out by the time we finalize everything (probably late December).

maxxxxx

Post by maxxxxx » August 12th, 2017, 8:32 am

ILikePie123 wrote:That's in interesting idea, but could you explain what about running the states schedule would appeal more to PA teams? Is it about giving students practice with competiting under similar conditions? Also, I'm not sure the states schedule would be out by the time we finalize everything (probably late December).
Giving teams the opportunity to compete with the same event conflicts as States helps a lot with refining the team in terms of which events each member does. This past year the schedule was released around mid-December so it may be released in time for you this year.

Also, make sure you tell PASO about this invite once the date is finalized so they can put it up on their website. That should get you more attention.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017

Return to “2017 Competition Advertising”