2019 Nationals - Cornell

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

2019 Nationals - Cornell

Post by Unome »

Although no official announcement has arrived from NSO that I know of, it looks pretty confirmed to me:

News Story
Cornell Science Olympiad website
2019 Nationals website

Interestingly, it appears to be later than most national tournaments over the last few years; here at Chattahoochee, school actually ends the week before the tournament.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: 2019 Nationals - Cornell

Post by bernard »

It is likely intentional that the date is after spring quarter final exams and commencement at Cornell University. Last year's host, University of Wisconsin-Stout concluded its second semester final exams before hosting the national tournament.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

bernard wrote:It is likely intentional that the date is after spring quarter final exams and commencement at Cornell University. Last year's host, University of Wisconsin-Stout concluded its second semester final exams before hosting the national tournament.
That would make sense then; I recall hearing somewhere that UW-Stout actually changed their original calendar because of Nationals (not sure whether this is accurate though).

Also, it took me 12 days to notice that news story :oops: :ugeek:
CornellColin
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by CornellColin »

Hey everyone, I can shed some light on this because I was one of the students involved in bringing Nats to Cornell and I will be serving as events director for the 2019 tournament. It is confirmed at this point - our bid was officially approved by the national board of directors at their meeting this past November! Needless to say, all of us at Cornell are ecstatic.

You are also correct to notice that we had to shift things a bit later so we could accommodate finals and commencement. We couldn't host it the weekend of June 8 either because that's reunion weekend, but fortunately we were able to sandwich ourselves between those events with the approval of Cornell conference services.

Feel free to direct any questions or comments about the tournament to me!
BrS
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by BrS »

Wow this is amazing yet simultaneously upsetting since I'll no longer be in high school by then. :cry:

Return to “2017 Nationals”