lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Mid-Season Poll (Let's Try This?)

Postby lumosityfan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:10 pm

Hello SciOlyers,

I've been looking at the Way Too Early Predictions thread (which by the way, very interesting predictions by the way (great job to whomever predicted Seven Lakes #1 :) )) and, combining that with my looking at the high school quiz bowl rankings, I thought it would be a good idea to start out a mid-season poll. Now obviously Science Olympiad is different than quizbowl in that it is much more regionalized and doesn't have as many competitions, but I thought this would be interesting to find out your opinions on who's the best in the nation. If you're interested in participating, simply PM me with your choice of the Top 25 teams in order from 1-25. I will then compile the results and use 25 as 1st place and 1 as 25th places (with the highest total getting the higher placements). I will close this poll at 7:00 PM EST on Friday, January 20, 2017 (yes, on Inauguration Day so that I have something to do that isn't called staring at the TV for 8 hours straight) and then compile the totals. Have fun!
Last edited by lumosityfan on Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP Stevens 2015, Columbia University 2019
See my favorite teams' event history: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
2016-18 UCC Regionals Astronomy ES, 2017 Princeton Invitational Helicopters ES

Unome
State: GA

Re: Mid-Season Poll (Let's Try This?)

Postby Unome » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:28 pm

lumosityfan wrote:Hello SciOlyers,

I've been looking at the Way Too Early Predictions thread (which by the way, very interesting predictions by the way (great job to whomever predicted Seven Lakes #1 :) )) and, combining that with my looking at the high school quiz bowl rankings, I thought it would be a good idea to start out a mid-season poll. Now obviously Science Olympiad is different than quizbowl in that it is much more regionalized and doesn't have as many competitions, but I thought this would be interesting to find out your opinions on who's the best in the nation. If you're interested in participating, simply PM me with your choice of the Top 25 teams in order from 1-25. I will then compile the results and use 25 as 1st place and 1 as 25th places (with the highest total getting the higher placements). I will close this poll at 7:00 PM EST on Friday, January 20, 2019 (yes, on Inauguration Day so that I have something to do that isn't called staring at the TV for 8 hours straight) and then compile the totals. Have fun!

Top 25 ignoring how many teams qualify from a state?
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby lumosityfan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Unome wrote:

I've been looking at the Way Too Early Predictions thread (which by the way, very interesting predictions by the way (great job to whomever predicted Seven Lakes #1 :) )) and, combining that with my looking at the high school quiz bowl rankings, I thought it would be a good idea to start out a mid-season poll. Now obviously Science Olympiad is different than quizbowl in that it is much more regionalized and doesn't have as many competitions, but I thought this would be interesting to find out your opinions on who's the best in the nation. If you're interested in participating, simply PM me with your choice of the Top 25 teams in order from 1-25. I will then compile the results and use 25 as 1st place and 1 as 25th places (with the highest total getting the higher placements). I will close this poll at 7:00 PM EST on Friday, January 20, 2019 (yes, on Inauguration Day so that I have something to do that isn't called staring at the TV for 8 hours straight) and then compile the totals. Have fun!

Ignoring how many teams from a state. Considering the fact that states have yet to occur anyways, it would be hard to determine which teams would advance (also would make the polling very interesting) Also, thanks for the error: oops!
See my favorite teams' event history: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Unome

Postby Unome » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:40 pm

lumosityfan wrote:
Unome wrote:

Ignoring how many teams from a state. Considering the fact that states have yet to occur anyways, it would be hard to determine which teams would advance (also would make the polling very interesting) Also, thanks for the error: oops!

Also, both divisions right? (you didn't specify in your post, but I would assume so).
Userpage

lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby lumosityfan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:36 pm

Unome wrote:
lumosityfan wrote:
Unome wrote:Top 25 ignoring how many teams qualify from a state?

Also, both divisions right? (you didn't specify in your post, but I would assume so).

Yes, although you're certainly not required to do both.

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:27 am

This will be interesting. Since it's a ranking of every team, and not a prediction for nationals, I'm going to be basing this more heavily this year's performances so far than I would otherwise. Past performance will obviously be somewhat of a factor, but it won't be quite as governing.

Maybe this will end up being a biweekly or monthly thing, if there are enough people involved!
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

Unome

Postby Unome » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:09 pm

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:This will be interesting. Since it's a ranking of every team, and not a prediction for nationals, I'm going to be basing this more heavily this year's performances so far than I would otherwise. Past performance will obviously be somewhat of a factor, but it won't be quite as governing.

Maybe this will end up being a biweekly or monthly thing, if there are enough people involved!

Depending on how much research people do, it'll be interesting to see how people perceive the strong teams that don't make it to nationals. Once I really looked into it, I found ~8 teams in each division that I put in my rankings so far (which I will submit on Tuesday, after we know scores from this weekend). I had 5 California teams in each division (though I'm not too sure about my last Div B team here) and 5 from Ohio in Div C, considering how close Chardon usually is to the more recognized top 4.
Userpage

lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby lumosityfan » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:57 am

The results are in! Here are your mid-season Top 25 for Division B and Division C:

Division B:
Voters: EastStroudsburg13
1. Solon (1)
2. Daniel Wright
3. Meads Mill
4. Beckendorff
5. Kennedy
6. Magsig
7. Churchill
8. Marie Murphy
9. Tower Heights
10. Springhouse
11. Gelinas
12. Lakeshore
13. Longfellow
14. Piedmont
15. Eagle Hill
16. Science & Arts Academy
17. Dodgen
18. Kraemer
19. Ladue
20. Community
21. Horner
22. Chippewa
23. Baker
24. Hamilton
25. New Albany

Division C:
Voters: Adi1008, kenniky, EastStroudsburg13
1. Troy (CA) (3), 75
2. Mira Loma, 72
3. Solon, 60
4. Centerville, 57
5. LASA, 54
6. Northville, 50
T-7. Mounds View, 49
T-7. Adlai E. Stevenson, 49
9. Mentor, 48
10. Seven Lakes, 46
11. Clements, 44
12. Harriton, 39
13. Acton-Boxborough, 34
14. West Windsor-Plainsboro North, 29
15. New Trier, 24
T-16. Mountain View, 21
T-16. Chattahoochee, 21
18. Columbia, 17
T-19. Mason, 16
T-20. Munster, 16
22. Grand Haven, 15
T-23. West Windsor-Plainsboro South, 13
T-23. Palo Alto, 13
25. Bayard Rustin, 12
Received Votes: Carmel, International Academy Central, Troy (MI), Fayetteville-Manlius, Ladue, Brookwood, Montgomery, Ward Melville, Rustin, Enloe, Canyon Crest, Princeton

Congratulations to every team that was featured on the Mid-Season Division B and C Top 25! We will have another poll probably for the time period ending March 1, 2017 as a pre-states poll in a sense, as soonafter the vast majority of state competitions will run. And then for those of you interested, I'm probably going to do a pre-nationals for teams that actually make nationals. Enjoy!

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:56 am

Seriously? A dude who hasn't competed in Division B in 9 years was the only one to vote for that division? :P
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:09 am

What I don't understand is how teams that have never or rarely been to nationals (Mason, Mountain View, Palo Alto) were ranked higher than teams that typically go every year or many years and perform fairly well (Brookwood, Fayetteville-Manlius, Ward Melville).
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)
UMass Amherst (2017-2021)

"After many years, perhaps someone may search our names in a page of the history book."

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:00 am

I did this is a few cases, and my explanation is simple: those teams do better against teams that do better at nationals than some teams that qualify for nationals regularly. Plus, if we take last year's results as a starting point, Ward Melville starts off at below 25th, so in my system, they would need a good invitational result to move back up into the top 25.

Again, the way I am personally submitting it, this is a mid-season team ranking, not a prediction for nationals. Not to say this is the only way to do it, but that's how I'm using it.

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby lumosityfan » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:25 am

Also you have to take into account that some schools in regions that have a dominant state champion (Troy for instance) may never get the chance to go to nationals even though they could be a Top 25 Team. They just never have the chance to show it.

Alex-RCHS
Division: C
State: NC

Postby Alex-RCHS » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:34 pm

Hey, Enloe got a vote! It's nice to see NC schools mentioned, even if we aren't usually top 20 (well, haven't been for a while).

I'm surprised to see 7L drop so low.
Raleigh Charter High School, 2018
2018 Results
State/National
Team: 2 / 38
Microbe Mission: 1 / 14
Astronomy: 2 / -
Remote Sensing: 2 / 8
Mousetrap Vehicle: 7 / 19 :(
Thermodynamics: 9 (scoring error, should've been 4th :cry:) / 20

jonboyage
Division: C
State: PA

Postby jonboyage » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:35 am

Just a thing I noticed, you put Bayard Rustin in 25th place, but in the honorable mentions you put Rustin :lol:
Bayard Rustin High School! :D

I am in a bin

Unome

Postby Unome » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:35 am

Alex-RCHS wrote:Hey, Enloe got a vote! It's nice to see NC schools mentioned, even if we aren't usually top 20 (well, haven't been for a while).

I'm surprised to see 7L drop so low.

Yeah I had 7L in first, but completely forgot to send in my predictions... I was validated pretty well by MIT results though.

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:I did this is a few cases, and my explanation is simple: those teams do better against teams that do better at nationals than some teams that qualify for nationals regularly. Plus, if we take last year's results as a starting point, Ward Melville starts off at below 25th, so in my system, they would need a good invitational result to move back up into the top 25.

Again, the way I am personally submitting it, this is a mid-season team ranking, not a prediction for nationals. Not to say this is the only way to do it, but that's how I'm using it.

This is basically what I did as well (which I why I had Chardon HS on my list). I think I actually ranked Mountain View slightly above Mira Loma (based on graduation trends and such). I also didn't realize until now how good Horner and Hopkins are; when your state has Churchill, Kennedy, and Wicklund, it must be pretty tough to get noticed.
Userpage

Return to “2017 Nationals”