Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Mid-Season Poll (Let's Try This?)

Post by lumosityfan »

Hello SciOlyers,

I've been looking at the Way Too Early Predictions thread (which by the way, very interesting predictions by the way (great job to whomever predicted Seven Lakes #1 :) )) and, combining that with my looking at the high school quiz bowl rankings, I thought it would be a good idea to start out a mid-season poll. Now obviously Science Olympiad is different than quizbowl in that it is much more regionalized and doesn't have as many competitions, but I thought this would be interesting to find out your opinions on who's the best in the nation. If you're interested in participating, simply PM me with your choice of the Top 25 teams in order from 1-25. I will then compile the results and use 25 as 1st place and 1 as 25th places (with the highest total getting the higher placements). I will close this poll at 7:00 PM EST on Friday, January 20, 2017 (yes, on Inauguration Day so that I have something to do that isn't called staring at the TV for 8 hours straight) and then compile the totals. Have fun!
Last edited by lumosityfan on January 12th, 2017, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
Unome
State: GA

Re: Mid-Season Poll (Let's Try This?)

Post by Unome »

lumosityfan wrote:Hello SciOlyers,

I've been looking at the Way Too Early Predictions thread (which by the way, very interesting predictions by the way (great job to whomever predicted Seven Lakes #1 :) )) and, combining that with my looking at the high school quiz bowl rankings, I thought it would be a good idea to start out a mid-season poll. Now obviously Science Olympiad is different than quizbowl in that it is much more regionalized and doesn't have as many competitions, but I thought this would be interesting to find out your opinions on who's the best in the nation. If you're interested in participating, simply PM me with your choice of the Top 25 teams in order from 1-25. I will then compile the results and use 25 as 1st place and 1 as 25th places (with the highest total getting the higher placements). I will close this poll at 7:00 PM EST on Friday, January 20, 2019 (yes, on Inauguration Day so that I have something to do that isn't called staring at the TV for 8 hours straight) and then compile the totals. Have fun!
Top 25 ignoring how many teams qualify from a state?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by lumosityfan »

Unome wrote:

I've been looking at the Way Too Early Predictions thread (which by the way, very interesting predictions by the way (great job to whomever predicted Seven Lakes #1 :) )) and, combining that with my looking at the high school quiz bowl rankings, I thought it would be a good idea to start out a mid-season poll. Now obviously Science Olympiad is different than quizbowl in that it is much more regionalized and doesn't have as many competitions, but I thought this would be interesting to find out your opinions on who's the best in the nation. If you're interested in participating, simply PM me with your choice of the Top 25 teams in order from 1-25. I will then compile the results and use 25 as 1st place and 1 as 25th places (with the highest total getting the higher placements). I will close this poll at 7:00 PM EST on Friday, January 20, 2019 (yes, on Inauguration Day so that I have something to do that isn't called staring at the TV for 8 hours straight) and then compile the totals. Have fun!
Ignoring how many teams from a state. Considering the fact that states have yet to occur anyways, it would be hard to determine which teams would advance (also would make the polling very interesting) Also, thanks for the error: oops!
Unome

Post by Unome »

lumosityfan wrote:
Unome wrote:

Ignoring how many teams from a state. Considering the fact that states have yet to occur anyways, it would be hard to determine which teams would advance (also would make the polling very interesting) Also, thanks for the error: oops!
Also, both divisions right? (you didn't specify in your post, but I would assume so).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by lumosityfan »

Unome wrote:
lumosityfan wrote:
Unome wrote: Top 25 ignoring how many teams qualify from a state?
Also, both divisions right? (you didn't specify in your post, but I would assume so).
Yes, although you're certainly not required to do both.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

This will be interesting. Since it's a ranking of every team, and not a prediction for nationals, I'm going to be basing this more heavily this year's performances so far than I would otherwise. Past performance will obviously be somewhat of a factor, but it won't be quite as governing.

Maybe this will end up being a biweekly or monthly thing, if there are enough people involved!
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Unome

Post by Unome »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:This will be interesting. Since it's a ranking of every team, and not a prediction for nationals, I'm going to be basing this more heavily this year's performances so far than I would otherwise. Past performance will obviously be somewhat of a factor, but it won't be quite as governing.

Maybe this will end up being a biweekly or monthly thing, if there are enough people involved!
Depending on how much research people do, it'll be interesting to see how people perceive the strong teams that don't make it to nationals. Once I really looked into it, I found ~8 teams in each division that I put in my rankings so far (which I will submit on Tuesday, after we know scores from this weekend). I had 5 California teams in each division (though I'm not too sure about my last Div B team here) and 5 from Ohio in Div C, considering how close Chardon usually is to the more recognized top 4.
Userpage

lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by lumosityfan »

The results are in! Here are your mid-season Top 25 for Division B and Division C:

Division B:
Voters: EastStroudsburg13
1. Solon (1)
2. Daniel Wright
3. Meads Mill
4. Beckendorff
5. Kennedy
6. Magsig
7. Churchill
8. Marie Murphy
9. Tower Heights
10. Springhouse
11. Gelinas
12. Lakeshore
13. Longfellow
14. Piedmont
15. Eagle Hill
16. Science & Arts Academy
17. Dodgen
18. Kraemer
19. Ladue
20. Community
21. Horner
22. Chippewa
23. Baker
24. Hamilton
25. New Albany

Division C:
Voters: Adi1008, kenniky, EastStroudsburg13
1. Troy (CA) (3), 75
2. Mira Loma, 72
3. Solon, 60
4. Centerville, 57
5. LASA, 54
6. Northville, 50
T-7. Mounds View, 49
T-7. Adlai E. Stevenson, 49
9. Mentor, 48
10. Seven Lakes, 46
11. Clements, 44
12. Harriton, 39
13. Acton-Boxborough, 34
14. West Windsor-Plainsboro North, 29
15. New Trier, 24
T-16. Mountain View, 21
T-16. Chattahoochee, 21
18. Columbia, 17
T-19. Mason, 16
T-20. Munster, 16
22. Grand Haven, 15
T-23. West Windsor-Plainsboro South, 13
T-23. Palo Alto, 13
25. Bayard Rustin, 12
Received Votes: Carmel, International Academy Central, Troy (MI), Fayetteville-Manlius, Ladue, Brookwood, Montgomery, Ward Melville, Rustin, Enloe, Canyon Crest, Princeton

Congratulations to every team that was featured on the Mid-Season Division B and C Top 25! We will have another poll probably for the time period ending March 1, 2017 as a pre-states poll in a sense, as soonafter the vast majority of state competitions will run. And then for those of you interested, I'm probably going to do a pre-nationals for teams that actually make nationals. Enjoy!
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Seriously? A dude who hasn't competed in Division B in 9 years was the only one to vote for that division? :P
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Has thanked: 0

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

What I don't understand is how teams that have never or rarely been to nationals (Mason, Mountain View, Palo Alto) were ranked higher than teams that typically go every year or many years and perform fairly well (Brookwood, Fayetteville-Manlius, Ward Melville).
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

Return to “2017 Nationals”