Unofficial Rankings B

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Unofficial Rankings B

Post by Adi1008 »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:Can you take a shot at putting up another Astronomy Question Marathon question? :)
viewtopic.php?f=228&p=312157#p312157
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
izzanom
Division: C
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by izzanom »

Unome wrote:Updated predictions (so people stop bothering with weeks-old predictions). I really haven't been paying as much attention to Div B this year (lots of work to do), so my predictions probably won't be too accurate.

1. Winston Churchill - A very strong win at state puts them here for me, beating Kennedy by a lot and with a much lower score than at any time in the recent past (i.e. when Kennedy was a threat, so I don't count 2014).
2. Beckendorff - They were pretty solidly ahead at Wright State, which is the only time we've seen them compete against anyone that poses a challenge, so I'll keep them here for now.
3. Daniel Wright - Did well so far at tournaments (including a win at Solon), but not enough for me to put them any higher right now.
4. Solon - Despite losing at state, they've done better than the other Ohio team in other years when they've lost, so I will continue to keep them higher.
5. Meads Mill - Same as Daniel Wright, they did well at tournaments this year but not so well that I can put them higher (though we'll see how state goes).
6. Tower Heights - Ending Solon's winning streak is quite an achievement, so they should do very well; though how well remains to be seen.
7. Piedmont - Strong at Wright State, not much else to go by (I haven't been paying attention as much this year).
8. Longfellow - Same as above, but more importantly they did well at state (which has historically been a good predictor for them).
9. Marie Murphy - Again, Wright State performance is about all we have. Not sure what else can really be said here, since Illinois tournaments tend not to make scores easily available.
10. Springhouse - They did very well at Wright State and dominated in-state most of the time, but tehy still have the PA ceiling; I don't think I could put them much higher.
11. Lakeshore - No idea how they're doing, but I doubt they'll end up much worse than this (unless Baker or Slauson happens to qualify of course).
12. Shady Side - Despite weak performances at invitationals this year (including a 25th at Wright State), they did amazingly well at regionals, especially considering the strength of the teams there. In addition, there's their often-neglected third place finish at New Albany, ahead of Magsig and Watts, which are all good signs. We'll see what happens this weekend at state.
13. WW-P Community - Did well at Rustin and Tiger, and state score is skewed by a low WIDI rank; they'll probably do around as well as last year or better.
14. Ladue - Somewhat normal performance at state as far as I know; not much else to go by.
15. Gelinas - Despite losing to Eagle Hill, they tend to do better at Nationals; since both teams acquired the vast majority of their points from bombs, it's hard to tell how they'll do.
16. Eagle Hill - See above. They have historically not done as well as Gelinas at Nationals, finishing in the top ten most recently in 2013.
17. Hamilton - They had a very strong state score, which is rather interesting, though I don't know much more so I'm not going to put them any higher right now. It'll be fun to see how Madison West does in future years.
18. Oak Valley - Having appeared (almost) out of the blue, I don't really know how they're going to do, but they should at least be this high.
19. Dodgen - They seem to be about as strong as in previous years, should be in their usual range.
20. Auburn - I'm not sure how far to take the recent downward trend (since they rarely finished in the top 20 before 2014), but I'll leave them here for now, mostly because I can't think of anyone else with a really good shot (and Chippewa doesn't seem likely to get much better to me).
Piedmont placed second at the Mentor invitational(beating towerheights) and got 1st at states again.
Ashernoel
State: IL

Post by Ashernoel »

Considering Daniel wright got 48 at states compared to 93 last year.. the chance of them winning is now supeeer high..!!
NT '19
Harvard '23
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

They and Churchill both cut down on their states scores massively. I have a feeling the national champion will be one of those two. Beckendorff, Solon, and Meads Mill should also be in the mix; if anything, the latter two have a travel advantage.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Crtomir
Division: B
State: OH

Post by Crtomir »

Throwing in my two cents:

Don't dismiss Tower Heights. They have the best travel advantage (literally only a few miles away from Wright State) and I'm pretty sure they can beat Meads Mill. What happened at the beginning of the season is irrelevant now.

But I'm biased (Centerville). :D
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

My predictions as of now:
1. Daniel Wright
2. Winston Churchill
3. Beckendorff
4. Solon
5. Meads Mill
6. Tower Heights
7. Piedmont
8. Longfellow
9. Springhouse
10. Marie Murphy
11. WW-P Community
12. Ladue
13. Gelinas
14. Shady Side
15. Eagle Hill
16. Hamilton
17. Oak Valley
18. Baker
19. Dodgen
20. Carnage
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
texas
Division: C
State: TX
Been thanked: 0

Post by texas »

Unome wrote:My predictions as of now:
1. Daniel Wright
2. Winston Churchill
3. Beckendorff
4. Solon
5. Meads Mill
6. Tower Heights
7. Piedmont
8. Longfellow
9. Springhouse
10. Marie Murphy
11. WW-P Community
12. Ladue
13. Gelinas
14. Shady Side
15. Eagle Hill
16. Hamilton
17. Oak Valley
18. Baker
19. Dodgen
20. Carnage
Who would even name their school that
Tompkins HS Science Olympiad
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I agree for the most part, but there are some differences I have. I have also been heavily influenced by my computer rankings in this division (which I will probably release in full later if anyone wants/cares).

I also will update these later with explanations, maybe. If I have time. :lol:

1. Daniel Wright
2. Winston Churchill
3. Beckendorff
4. Meads Mill
5. Solon
6. Tower Heights
7. Marie Murphy
8. Piedmont
9. Longfellow
10. Springhouse
11. Ladue
12. Gelinas
13. Eagle Hill
14. Baker
15. Shady Side
16. Hamilton
17. Dodgen
18. Oak Valley
19. Community
20. Chippewa
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
NeBH
State: ID

Post by NeBH »

I'm a little bit disappointed that Treasure Valley (ID) hasn't shown up in this thread...
Oh, well... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

;)
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

NeBH wrote:I'm a little bit disappointed that Treasure Valley (ID) hasn't shown up in this thread...
Oh, well... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

;)
Same ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.

Return to “2017 Nationals”