2017 Swap Meet

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: 2017 Swap Meet

Post by chalker »

scioly2012 wrote:
LowEntropy wrote:How do you end up getting free things from your city? Is there anyone specific you contact in the local government?
The Wright State website says to contact your local chamber of commerce or state visitors center :D
I know it seems weird to ask, but you'd be surprised about the number of things you can get for free if you just ask. A lot of businesses are more than willing to give school groups various samples or trinkets. Most companies have marketing budgets for things like trade shows and other events, and are happy for an opportunity to engage with students. My recommendation is to draft a SHORT form email explaining your team is going to a national competition representing your city and you are looking for things to take to trade with other competitors. Blast it out to the email addresses of lots of local companies and I predict you'll get several positive responses. Some will ignore you, but the worst that could happen is they reply saying no. Consider this yet another learning experience as a result of SO.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
PizzaIsLife
Division: B
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by PizzaIsLife »

Hello,

This is my first time going to Nationals! I was wondering how much "swap items" I should bring (e.g. keychains or pens).
You Hungry? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

PizzaIsLife wrote:Hello,

This is my first time going to Nationals! I was wondering how much "swap items" I should bring (e.g. keychains or pens).
It's really up to you. Keep in mind there will be something like 120 teams * 15 students = 1800 other people at the swap meet. How many do you think you'll have time to trade with?

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Ionizer
State: PA

Post by Ionizer »

chalker wrote:

It's really up to you. Keep in mind there will be something like 120 teams * 15 students = 1800 other people at the swap meet. How many do you think you'll have time to trade with?
Often pins are a good thing to trade. I wouldn't suggest trading your nationals pin, but other pins of your state make good trading items.

Edit: Whoops, I thought you said what type instead of how many. Pins are still good for trading though.
Class of 2016 Bayard Rustin High School Alumnus
State Event Supervisor
My Page
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

chalker wrote:

Despite there being so many, keep in mind that you are not the only one from your state trading. Most teams do manage to get 15 students to Nationals (despite mine only having 11...)
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
PizzaIsLife

Post by PizzaIsLife »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
chalker wrote:

Despite there being so many, keep in mind that you are not the only one from your state trading. Most teams do manage to get 15 students to Nationals (despite mine only having 11...)

Ok, thanks for the information. I guess I'll just bring however much stuff I can find.
You Hungry? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

PizzaIsLife wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:
chalker wrote:

Ok, thanks for the information. I guess I'll just bring however much stuff I can find.
If it helps, I'm bringing 76 items, (mostly pins) consisting of pins, books, bookmarks, and pens that help represent my state. (Idaho)
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
PizzaIsLife

Post by PizzaIsLife »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
PizzaIsLife wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote: Despite there being so many, keep in mind that you are not the only one from your state trading. Most teams do manage to get 15 students to Nationals (despite mine only having 11...)

If it helps, I'm bringing 76 items, (mostly pins) consisting of pins, books, bookmarks, and pens that help represent my state. (Idaho)

I guess you could say that you brought 76 items- SOLDIER 76 items.

Plz don't murder me.
You Hungry? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

PizzaIsLife wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:
PizzaIsLife wrote:

Plz don't murder me.
I won't murder you because I didn't understand anything you just said.

I have no regrets.
4Head
Division: C

Post by 4Head »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
PizzaIsLife wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote: If it helps, I'm bringing 76 items, (mostly pins) consisting of pins, books, bookmarks, and pens that help represent my state. (Idaho)

Plz don't murder me.
I won't murder you because I didn't understand anything you just said.
soldier 76 is a playable hero in Overwatch, a video game by Blizzard.
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion

Return to “2017 Nationals”