DuPont Enterprise Award Predictions (let's try this?)

pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

DuPont Enterprise Award Predictions (let's try this?)

Post by pikachu4919 »

I don't think a thread has been done for this before, but I'm kinda curious to see what y'all think!

Eligibility for this award involves being the highest placing, non-Top 10 team that is either in their first year at nats or did not attend last year.

So far, based on teams new to Nationals this year, the eligible teams are:

Division B:
Colony MS, AK
Oak Valley MS, SoCal
Orlando Science School, FL
Treasure Valley Home School, ID
Wydown MS, MO
Clancy School, MT
Tower Heights MS, OH
Gallagher MS, RI
Kealing JHS, TX
Walpole Elementary (?) School, NH
SSA, PA
Baker MS, MI

Division C:
Helena HS, MT
Albuquerque Academy, NM
WWPS, NJ
Fayetteville-Manlius, NY
Munster, IN
University HS, AZ
Mount Vernon, IA
White Station, TN
Fairfax, VA
Kelly Walsh, WY
Cathedral, MS
Hopkins, CT
Mentor, OH
Medford, WI
Treasure Valley, ID
St. Martin's, LA
Westview, OR
Camas, WA
NCSSM, NC
Clements, TX
DuPont Manual, KY
Merrimack, NH
Kelly Walsh, WY
IA Central, MI

edit: full list of new teams is here!
Last edited by pikachu4919 on April 29th, 2017, 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: DuPont Enterprise Award Predictions (let's try this?)

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

pikachu4919 wrote: Walpole Elementary (?) School, NH
Correct, Walpole ES won NH B. There is no Walpole MS or JHS.

As for favorites, I think they have to be Tower Heights in B and Mentor/Clements/FM/Munster/WWPS in C, but there are some real top 10 contenders in there. Without knowing the other places, I have to guess that the following will happen:

Tower Heights finishes top 10, Oak Valley wins the award. Kealing has an outside chance if Oak Valley does worse than expected. I don't think Wydown has much of a chance, but they'd be the only other team I'd consider.

Mentor and Clements seem like the most likely to finish top 10 in C. I am currently leaning toward the inclination that FM and Munster finish just outside the top 10, with FM winning it by a slight margin. However, I could see a scenario where Clements just misses the top 10 based on their nationals history. Because of how many teams are contenders for this, I don't see a way that WWPS finds their way to the award, but they could get it. Anyone else is a long shot (not including the states left to go).
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote: Walpole Elementary (?) School, NH
Correct, Walpole ES won NH B. There is no Walpole MS or JHS.

As for favorites, I think they have to be Tower Heights in B and Mentor/Clements/FM/Munster/WWPS in C, but there are some real top 10 contenders in there. Without knowing the other places, I have to guess that the following will happen:

Tower Heights finishes top 10, Oak Valley wins the award. Kealing has an outside chance if Oak Valley does worse than expected. I don't think Wydown has much of a chance, but they'd be the only other team I'd consider.

Mentor and Clements seem like the most likely to finish top 10 in C. I am currently leaning toward the inclination that FM and Munster finish just outside the top 10, with FM winning it by a slight margin. However, I could see a scenario where Clements just misses the top 10 based on their nationals history. Because of how many teams are contenders for this, I don't see a way that WWPS finds their way to the award, but they could get it. Anyone else is a long shot (not including the states left to go).
My thoughts here are pretty much the same, though I'm thinking Munster is more likely to get it than F-M (a marginal difference though). Although Oak Valley would have to do really badly to not get it, I don't think Kealing will place much higher than 25th. Having Grand Haven in contention for the trophy as well would be fun :)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Has thanked: 0

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

pikachu4919 wrote: Division C:
Helena HS, MT
Albuquerque Academy, NM
WWPS, NJ
Fayetteville-Manlius, NY
Munster, IN
University HS, AZ
Mount Vernon, IA
White Station, TN
Fairfax, VA
Kelly Walsh, WY
Cathedral, MS
Hopkins, CT
Mentor, OH
Medford, WI
Treasure Valley, ID
St. Martin's, LA
Westview, OR
Camas, WA
NCSSM, NC
Clements, TX
DuPont Manual, KY
Merrimack, NH
Kelly Walsh, WY
IA Central, MI

edit: full list of new teams is here!
24 new teams, or 40% of total teams...wow.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

With yesterday's results, I think the B award is going to be between Baker and Oak Valley. My pick is Baker but I expect it'll be one of the two, as Tower Heights I'm expecting to get top 10 (even in their first year).

As for C, IA Central is good but I think there's too much competition for the award in C for them to take it. If only teams that haven't qualified in the past two years were eligible, they might have a shot, as they'd be mainly vying with Clements (possible top 10) and WWPS, with Medford as a dark horse.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
parasaurolophus
Division: C
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Post by parasaurolophus »

Hi, how exactly does getting this award work, and what is the prize?
Thank you! :D
2017 MI State Champion of Chemistry Lab
2016 MI State Champion of Fossils

Past events: Chemistry Lab, Electric Vehicle, Materials Science, Robot Arm, Bridge Building, Fossils, Disease Detectives

Proud 2016-2017 Co-Captain of the IA Central Gnomes
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Post by bernard »

parasaurolophus wrote:Hi, how exactly does getting this award work, and what is the prize?
"DuPont Team Enterprise Award (Divisions B and C): 32-year Science Olympiad partner DuPont will present this annual trophy for the best overall performance by a team (outside of the Top 10) that had not attended the previous year’s National Tournament. This award will recognize a breakthrough performance by a team exhibiting the hard work required to not only make it to the national competition, but to succeed at a high level."
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
parasaurolophus
Division: C
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Post by parasaurolophus »

bernard wrote:
parasaurolophus wrote:Hi, how exactly does getting this award work, and what is the prize?
"DuPont Team Enterprise Award (Divisions B and C): 32-year Science Olympiad partner DuPont will present this annual trophy for the best overall performance by a team (outside of the Top 10) that had not attended the previous year’s National Tournament. This award will recognize a breakthrough performance by a team exhibiting the hard work required to not only make it to the national competition, but to succeed at a high level."
So from what I understand, if a team didn't go to Nationals last year and gets 11th, they get it?
2017 MI State Champion of Chemistry Lab
2016 MI State Champion of Fossils

Past events: Chemistry Lab, Electric Vehicle, Materials Science, Robot Arm, Bridge Building, Fossils, Disease Detectives

Proud 2016-2017 Co-Captain of the IA Central Gnomes
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

parasaurolophus wrote:
bernard wrote:
So from what I understand, if a team didn't go to Nationals last year and gets 11th, they get it?
yes
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “2017 Nationals”