SSD_scioly
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ultimate Frisbee Tournament!

Post by SSD_scioly »

Hi Guys,

In past years, there's been an ultimate frisbee tournament held on the Friday before nationals, but I don't think it happened last year because the previous organizers couldn't attend. This year, I'd like to revive the tradition and step up and organize the tournament if there's enough interest. Even though you may think that you'll want to be studying the day before the competition, you'll also want to have a break, and playing ultimate will be a great way for you to relax and have fun.

The tournament will most likely take place in the the afternoon on Friday, the 19th. There are some mini events happening at that time that you may have to miss, but if you have to leave early/come late, it should be okay. The tournament is open to both divisions B and C. Normally, you'd need at least 7 players to participate, but if most teams can't bring that many people, we might play 5v5. There are some fields along the edge of the campus that we should be able to use.

If you're school is interested in participating, please comment on this forum and fill out this form ASAP (ideally before this weekend):

https://goo.gl/forms/Ca6JQcfD4h6Khk9z2

If there's enough interest, and once I get a better idea of the schedule for the day, I'll post more details about the time, location, rules, and what to bring.
WWP High School South (NJ) '17
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Ultimate Frisbee Tournament!

Post by windu34 »

Im definetly interested and ill spread the word to my teammates
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Sean_Sylvester1
State: NH

Post by Sean_Sylvester1 »

Merrimack will bring two teams
Captain of Merrimack Science Olympiad
Founder of the Science Olympiad Programmers Coalition (SOPC)
2017 Events

Hovercraft
Electric Vehicle
Astronomy
Remote Sensing
Dynamic Planet
Fermi
SSD_scioly
State: NJ

Post by SSD_scioly »

Depending on how many teams show up (only 6 teams have confirmed so far), we might not have enough teams for a knockout tournament. Instead, I'll organize some games among whichever teams show up in a round robin style, which will consist of three 30-minute games with 10 minutes of break in between each game, followed possibly by a final match between the two teams with the best record. This is in some ways better than a knockout tournament because each team is guaranteed to play at least three games.

The “Parade of States Lineup” starts at 5:15, so I want the games to be finished by 3:30 to ensure that there is enough time for everyone to relax and get ready before the evening activities. This means, we need to start by 12:30 for us to finish on time. Trial events run until 1:30 pm, so anyone on your team doing a trial event will have to miss your first game.

Here is the schedule for the games

Friday, May 19:
12:30 - 1:00: Introduction, explanation of rules, warm ups
1:00 - 1:30: Game #1
1:30 - 1:40: Break
1:40 - 2:10: Game #2
2:10 - 2:20: Break
2:20 - 2:50: Game #3
2:50 - 3:00: Break
3:00 - 3:30: Final Match

The weather is predicted to be partly cloudy with a high of 75°. The location will be the “Playing Fields” in Fairborn, OH, located along the southern edge of the Wright State University Campus. Here is a link to the location in google maps:
https://goo.gl/S4u2CS

Please show up on time so we can get started quickly! Be sure to bring water, sunscreen, and any discs that you have! I will go over the rules before we start.

If you're coming and you haven't replied to my email yet, please post here that you're coming so I know how many teams to expect.
WWP High School South (NJ) '17
laidlawe18
State: RI

Post by laidlawe18 »

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to confirm that the tournament is happening at 12:30 at the fields that Salil marked in google maps. Salil has a schedule problem with his team, so I'm taking over for him and running the tournament.

If you see any teams tossing a disc or anything feel free to let them know about the tourney. Our team is getting excited!

See you there!
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

So I messaged SSD_scioly saying we might be interested in participating in the tournament, but we in fact not able to. Sorry about that. We were not included in the 6 confirmed teams so that shouldn't change that plan.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

Return to “2017 Nationals”