2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

User avatar
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1880
Joined: January 5th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

Postby bernard » June 16th, 2016, 10:00 pm

Discussion for the 2017 National Tournament, to be held at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio on May 19-20, 2017.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Fibonacci924
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: October 27th, 2014, 9:27 am
Division: C
State: MN
Location: In the Castle by the lake, determining which book I should read in to next.
Contact:

Re: 2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

Postby Fibonacci924 » September 6th, 2016, 5:18 am

Hopefully there's no IRL Sassy game.
"Truth is like poetry. And most people *butterfly* hate poetry."- Overheard in a Washington DC bar.

Always remember: P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.

Two time member of the Eternal Order of the Assassinators

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3564
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: 2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

Postby Unome » September 6th, 2016, 6:20 am

Fibonacci924 wrote:Hopefully there's no IRL Sassy game.

A functional Ultimate tournament would be nice though.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Fibonacci924
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: October 27th, 2014, 9:27 am
Division: C
State: MN
Location: In the Castle by the lake, determining which book I should read in to next.
Contact:

Re: 2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

Postby Fibonacci924 » September 6th, 2016, 8:26 am

Unome wrote:
Fibonacci924 wrote:Hopefully there's no IRL Sassy game.

A functional Ultimate tournament would be nice though.


Yass! Hopefully I can participate.
"Truth is like poetry. And most people *butterfly* hate poetry."- Overheard in a Washington DC bar.

Always remember: P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.

Two time member of the Eternal Order of the Assassinators

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3564
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: 2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

Postby Unome » September 6th, 2016, 9:32 am

Fibonacci924 wrote:
Unome wrote:
Fibonacci924 wrote:Hopefully there's no IRL Sassy game.

A functional Ultimate tournament would be nice though.


Yass! Hopefully I can participate.

Do I hear someone volunteering to organize? ;)
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Fibonacci924
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: October 27th, 2014, 9:27 am
Division: C
State: MN
Location: In the Castle by the lake, determining which book I should read in to next.
Contact:

Re: 2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

Postby Fibonacci924 » September 6th, 2016, 11:07 am

That's if I make it to Nationals.
"Truth is like poetry. And most people *butterfly* hate poetry."- Overheard in a Washington DC bar.

Always remember: P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.

Two time member of the Eternal Order of the Assassinators

User avatar
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1880
Joined: January 5th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: 2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

Postby bernard » September 7th, 2016, 9:50 am

Tentative national tournament schedule posted to the Science Olympiad Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SOAlumniNetwor ... 0739209046.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3564
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: 2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

Postby Unome » September 9th, 2016, 7:52 pm

Not sure where else to put this: Chalker's Scoring System just got updated for 2017. Downloads spiked quite a bit (more downloads in the last six hours than in all of August).
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2065
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Contact:

Re: 2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

Postby chalker » September 10th, 2016, 6:52 am

Unome wrote:Not sure where else to put this: Chalker's Scoring System just got updated for 2017. Downloads spiked quite a bit (more downloads in the last six hours than in all of August).


All I did was change the event names to match the current season. No other changes to the system from before.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3564
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: 2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

Postby Unome » September 10th, 2016, 7:16 am

chalker wrote:
Unome wrote:Not sure where else to put this: Chalker's Scoring System just got updated for 2017. Downloads spiked quite a bit (more downloads in the last six hours than in all of August).


All I did was change the event names to match the current season. No other changes to the system from before.

Yeah, but we're too lazy to do that ourselves, so I guess that's why people started downloading.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 575
Joined: October 7th, 2014, 3:03 pm
Division: Grad
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going
Contact:

Re: 2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » October 25th, 2016, 5:38 pm

One thing I'd like to mention on here that I don't remember seeing on the thread for last year's nationals, was the music played at the opening and awards ceremonies. I normally dislike the type of music they played (pop), but I really enjoyed it at awards; I wasn't at the 2015 national tournament but I did watch the stream and I can say it would have been easier to watch with something to fill the void in the background. I also liked how a different song was played for each different event. I'd like to see these again at the 2017 awards ceremony.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

"My sunset, and sunset for humanity."

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3564
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: 2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

Postby Unome » October 25th, 2016, 7:17 pm

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:One thing I'd like to mention on here that I don't remember seeing on the thread for last year's nationals, was the music played at the opening and awards ceremonies. I normally dislike the type of music they played (pop), but I really enjoyed it at awards; I wasn't at the 2015 national tournament but I did watch the stream and I can say it would have been easier to watch with something to fill the void in the background. I also liked how a different song was played for each different event. I'd like to see these again at the 2017 awards ceremony.

Agreed; the music last year was great; timing, mood, was all spot on. The opening and awards video recordings were also really well-done (can't speak for the livestream since I didn't watch it :P ).
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

maxxxxx
Member
Member
Posts: 282
Joined: November 30th, 2015, 8:11 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: CA
Contact:

Re: 2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

Postby maxxxxx » October 27th, 2016, 2:41 pm

Unome wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:One thing I'd like to mention on here that I don't remember seeing on the thread for last year's nationals, was the music played at the opening and awards ceremonies. I normally dislike the type of music they played (pop), but I really enjoyed it at awards; I wasn't at the 2015 national tournament but I did watch the stream and I can say it would have been easier to watch with something to fill the void in the background. I also liked how a different song was played for each different event. I'd like to see these again at the 2017 awards ceremony.

Agreed; the music last year was great; timing, mood, was all spot on. The opening and awards video recordings were also really well-done (can't speak for the livestream since I didn't watch it :P ).


Anything to make the awards ceremony more exciting would be cool. The atmosphere they created last year with the music was great, it made everything feel bigger and more important. The camerawork for the livestream was really good as well, it almost felt like I was there.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017

funnybunny48
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: July 7th, 2016, 10:59 am
Division: C
State: -
Contact:

Re: 2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

Postby funnybunny48 » October 30th, 2016, 5:58 pm

Unome wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
One thing I'd like to mention on here that I don't remember seeing on the thread for last year's nationals, was the music played at the opening and awards ceremonies. I normally dislike the type of music they played (pop), but I really enjoyed it at awards; I wasn't at the 2015 national tournament but I did watch the stream and I can say it would have been easier to watch with something to fill the void in the background. I also liked how a different song was played for each different event. I'd like to see these again at the 2017 awards ceremony.

Agreed; the music last year was great; timing, mood, was all spot on. The opening and awards video recordings were also really well-done (can't speak for the livestream since I didn't watch it :P ).


Anything to make the awards ceremony more exciting would be cool. The atmosphere they created last year with the music was great, it made everything feel bigger and more important. The camerawork for the livestream was really good as well, it almost felt like I was there.


Definitey agree. I attended both 2015 and 2016 Nationals, and I felt 2016 did a better job of organizing the tournament and creating a good atmosphere in general. The free outdoor wifi all over campus was also appreciated. Hope that Wright State will keep up the good work this year.
Anatomy / Ecology / Disease Detectives / Materials Science

User avatar
Alex-RCHS
Member
Member
Posts: 487
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:46 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: 2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

Postby Alex-RCHS » November 7th, 2016, 2:10 pm

Quick question: anyone know if state schedules always line up with the national schedule? Like, if I do event A and B at states and they're in different blocks are they guaranteed to be in different blocks at nationals also?


Return to “2017 Nationals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest