2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

Postby bernard » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:00 am

Discussion for the 2017 National Tournament, to be held at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio on May 19-20, 2017.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Fibonacci924
Division: C
State: MN
Location: In the Castle by the lake, determining which book I should read in to next.

Re: 2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

Postby Fibonacci924 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:18 pm

Hopefully there's no IRL Sassy game.
"Truth is like poetry. And most people *butterfly* hate poetry."- Overheard in a Washington DC bar.

Always remember: P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.

Two time member of the Eternal Order of the Assassinators

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:20 pm

Fibonacci924 wrote:Hopefully there's no IRL Sassy game.

A functional Ultimate tournament would be nice though.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Fibonacci924
Location: In the Castle by the lake, determining which book I should read in to next.

Postby Fibonacci924 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:26 pm

Unome wrote:

Yass! Hopefully I can participate.
"Truth is like poetry. And most people *butterfly* hate poetry."- Overheard in a Washington DC bar.

Unome

Postby Unome » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:32 pm

Fibonacci924 wrote:
Unome wrote:

Yass! Hopefully I can participate.

Do I hear someone volunteering to organize? ;)
Userpage

Fibonacci924

Postby Fibonacci924 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:07 pm

That's if I make it to Nationals.

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Postby bernard » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:50 pm

Tentative national tournament schedule posted to the Science Olympiad Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SOAlumniNetwor ... 0739209046.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Unome

Postby Unome » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:52 am

Not sure where else to put this: Chalker's Scoring System just got updated for 2017. Downloads spiked quite a bit (more downloads in the last six hours than in all of August).
Userpage

chalker
State: OH

Postby chalker » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:52 pm

Unome wrote:Not sure where else to put this: Chalker's Scoring System just got updated for 2017. Downloads spiked quite a bit (more downloads in the last six hours than in all of August).

All I did was change the event names to match the current season. No other changes to the system from before.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Unome

Postby Unome » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:16 pm

chalker wrote:
Unome wrote:Not sure where else to put this: Chalker's Scoring System just got updated for 2017. Downloads spiked quite a bit (more downloads in the last six hours than in all of August).

All I did was change the event names to match the current season. No other changes to the system from before.

Yeah, but we're too lazy to do that ourselves, so I guess that's why people started downloading.
Userpage

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:38 am

One thing I'd like to mention on here that I don't remember seeing on the thread for last year's nationals, was the music played at the opening and awards ceremonies. I normally dislike the type of music they played (pop), but I really enjoyed it at awards; I wasn't at the 2015 national tournament but I did watch the stream and I can say it would have been easier to watch with something to fill the void in the background. I also liked how a different song was played for each different event. I'd like to see these again at the 2017 awards ceremony.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)
UMass Amherst (2017-2021)

"After many years, perhaps someone may search our names in a page of the history book."

Unome

Postby Unome » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:17 am

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:One thing I'd like to mention on here that I don't remember seeing on the thread for last year's nationals, was the music played at the opening and awards ceremonies. I normally dislike the type of music they played (pop), but I really enjoyed it at awards; I wasn't at the 2015 national tournament but I did watch the stream and I can say it would have been easier to watch with something to fill the void in the background. I also liked how a different song was played for each different event. I'd like to see these again at the 2017 awards ceremony.

Agreed; the music last year was great; timing, mood, was all spot on. The opening and awards video recordings were also really well-done (can't speak for the livestream since I didn't watch it :P ).
Userpage

maxxxxx
State: PA

Postby maxxxxx » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:41 pm

Unome wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:One thing I'd like to mention on here that I don't remember seeing on the thread for last year's nationals, was the music played at the opening and awards ceremonies. I normally dislike the type of music they played (pop), but I really enjoyed it at awards; I wasn't at the 2015 national tournament but I did watch the stream and I can say it would have been easier to watch with something to fill the void in the background. I also liked how a different song was played for each different event. I'd like to see these again at the 2017 awards ceremony.

Agreed; the music last year was great; timing, mood, was all spot on. The opening and awards video recordings were also really well-done (can't speak for the livestream since I didn't watch it :P ).

Anything to make the awards ceremony more exciting would be cool. The atmosphere they created last year with the music was great, it made everything feel bigger and more important. The camerawork for the livestream was really good as well, it almost felt like I was there.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017

funnybunny48
State: -

Postby funnybunny48 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:58 am

Unome wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
One thing I'd like to mention on here that I don't remember seeing on the thread for last year's nationals, was the music played at the opening and awards ceremonies. I normally dislike the type of music they played (pop), but I really enjoyed it at awards; I wasn't at the 2015 national tournament but I did watch the stream and I can say it would have been easier to watch with something to fill the void in the background. I also liked how a different song was played for each different event. I'd like to see these again at the 2017 awards ceremony.

Anything to make the awards ceremony more exciting would be cool. The atmosphere they created last year with the music was great, it made everything feel bigger and more important. The camerawork for the livestream was really good as well, it almost felt like I was there.

Definitey agree. I attended both 2015 and 2016 Nationals, and I felt 2016 did a better job of organizing the tournament and creating a good atmosphere in general. The free outdoor wifi all over campus was also appreciated. Hope that Wright State will keep up the good work this year.
Anatomy / Ecology / Disease Detectives / Materials Science

Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Postby Alex-RCHS » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:10 pm

Quick question: anyone know if state schedules always line up with the national schedule? Like, if I do event A and B at states and they're in different blocks are they guaranteed to be in different blocks at nationals also?

Return to “2017 Nationals”