DankMemes
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Re: Way Too Early Predictions

Post by DankMemes »

texas wrote:
y1008083 wrote:Beckendorff that high?
They got 1st at Wright State, which is basically the hardest, most competitive tournament after nats, so I'd say 1st at nats is a pretty good prediction.
While that is a feasible prediction, you have to consider that Solon did not stack their teams, but Beckendorff did. In addition, Daniel Wright did not attend, so you have to consider them too.
Seven Lakes HS '20. Remote Sensing, Hydrogeology, Game On
2016 Nationals: Geocaching - 1
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

DankMemes wrote:
texas wrote:
y1008083 wrote:Beckendorff that high?
They got 1st at Wright State, which is basically the hardest, most competitive tournament after nats, so I'd say 1st at nats is a pretty good prediction.
While that is a feasible prediction, you have to consider that Solon did not stack their teams, but Beckendorff did. In addition, Daniel Wright did not attend, so you have to consider them too.
Looking at the scores from Wright State, while Solon's B team might have beaten the A team in a few events, it's unlikely that they didn't make an attempt to stack as best they could (note Beckendorff's second team also beat their main team in a few events). Regarding Daniel Wright, all we have on them so far is a loss to Kennedy at Mira Loma. If they're at New Albany again, we should have some more info after this weekend (since Solon and Tower Heights usually attend as well).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
4Head
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by 4Head »

Unome wrote:
DankMemes wrote:
texas wrote:
Looking at the scores from Wright State, while Solon's B team might have beaten the A team in a few events, it's unlikely that they didn't make an attempt to stack as best they could (note Beckendorff's second team also beat their main team in a few events). Regarding Daniel Wright, all we have on them so far is a loss to Kennedy at Mira Loma. If they're at New Albany again, we should have some more info after this weekend (since Solon and Tower Heights usually attend as well).
Yeah, judging from the scores it's quite apparent that Solon stacked their teams for the tournament. Last year Solon brought 2 teams to regionals, so they might not be going to New Albany.
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
LowEntropy
State: PA

Post by LowEntropy »

John Richardsim wrote:
NeilMehta wrote:just found out FM didn't qualify for nationals last year??
does anyone know what happened?
Uh, as vague as it may sound, I'm guessing that they just collectively didn't do well enough. That's how it was for my team, at least.

Nothing in particular needs to "happen" for a historically strong team to miss nationals. Just gotta be less strong in a particular year than two other teams in your state (or three...).
This is mostly speculation but looking at last year's results it looks like there were some issues with their builds, notably Air Trajectory (26), Electric Vehicle (32) and Wright Stuff (28).
Userpage
Bayard Rustin High School
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

4Head wrote:
Unome wrote:
DankMemes wrote:
This is, essentially my reasoning. However, regarding Daniel Wright, we also have their 7-point victory over Solon at the Solon Invitational. Is that enough to rank them above Solon? Maybe, I wouldn't blame you for doing so. But I'd like to see at least one more strong result from them.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

breakingankles wrote:I think as good as Mira Loma and Solon appear to be at times, Troy is absolutely dominant. I can't see a way any team overtakes them. I'd be surprised if they don't win nationals by at least 50 points.
50 points is probably an overstatement. It's honestly super unlikely that any team, even Troy, would finish THAT far ahead of the team below them.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

pikachu4919 wrote:
breakingankles wrote:I think as good as Mira Loma and Solon appear to be at times, Troy is absolutely dominant. I can't see a way any team overtakes them. I'd be surprised if they don't win nationals by at least 50 points.
50 points is probably an overstatement. It's honestly super unlikely that any team, even Troy, would finish THAT far ahead of the team below them.
Allow me to present Division C, four years ago

Blowouts do happen more in Division B than C, though, so it'd be quite a feat for Troy to win by that much. I would predict them winning by about 30-35 points.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
kenniky
State: MA

Post by kenniky »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:

Blowouts do happen more in Division B than C, though, so it'd be quite a feat for Troy to win by that much. I would predict them winning by about 30-35 points.
Went back and looked at their medals, they didn't get a single gold... still won by so much wow
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

kenniky wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:

Went back and looked at their medals, they didn't get a single gold... still won by so much wow
Also note 2009 B, when Solon won by 105 points. I'm not willing to say much about Troy's chances until after state (which, I forgot to mention earlier, somewhat foreshadowed their loss at Nationals last year).
Userpage

pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

OK...in that case...
pikachu4919 wrote: 50 points is probably an overstatement. It's honestly super somewhat unlikely that any team, even Troy, would finish THAT far ahead of the team below them.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!

MY CABBAGES!

Return to “2017 Nationals”