Unome
WikiMod
WikiMod
Division: C
State: GA

Re: 2017 Summer Wiki Drive

Postby Unome » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:32 pm

bernard wrote:
dragon_fruit35 wrote:when you haven't been able to edit the wiki for like a year :? :cry:

There are two options. We can either remove the underscore from your username or you can make another account without the underscore just for editing the wiki. Please send me a message for assistance with either.

I plan on looking into solutions for the general issue over the summer, but my current understanding is MediaWiki does not support spaces, underscores, or other special characters.

I'm pretty sure spaces work fine (e.g. John Richardsim). What special characters are broken though? I always thought it was just underscores because they parse as spaces.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School

Prospective 2018 Events: A&P, Astro, Disease, DyPlan, Fermi, MatSci, Microbes, Remote, R&M, WIDI

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Postby bernard » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:46 pm

Unome wrote:
bernard wrote:
dragon_fruit35 wrote:when you haven't been able to edit the wiki for like a year :? :cry:

There are two options. We can either remove the underscore from your username or you can make another account without the underscore just for editing the wiki. Please send me a message for assistance with either.

I plan on looking into solutions for the general issue over the summer, but my current understanding is MediaWiki does not support spaces, underscores, or other special characters.

I'm pretty sure spaces work fine (e.g. John Richardsim). What special characters are broken though? I always thought it was just underscores because they parse as spaces.

You're right, spaces work. I have limited new usernames to alphanumeric and spacers to avoid new cases.

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: PA

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:33 pm

Hey guys!

We've gotten a really good response to the drive so far! However, if you're dumping notes for study events, I wanted to bring up something to caution against. It's a common practice to use information taken from other sources to help study and to form note sheets. However, we want the wiki to be the work of just students, and not text copied from a different page. So if you're not sure or you don't remember, just take a moment to check to make sure that the text you're uploading is your own work!

Thanks!
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Undergrad at Drexel University

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

Return to “Announcements”