BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Scioly Team Of The Week (The Return!)

Post by BennyTheJett »

Hello all!

Recently I have began working with Bernard on bringing back the Team of the Week, and I am here to announce its return! Team of the Week is a fun way for people to get to know some other teams around the nation as well as a fun way to give your team some publicity. Team of the Week is open to both divisions, B and C. If you would like to see your team make an appearance on the Team of the Week thread (which will be continued right here), please fill out the form attached to the bottom of this post! Additionally, I will add the teams to the Team of the Week Wikipage. The first team will be chosen and published this Saturday. If you have any questions or comments about anything, feel free to PM me or find me on the Scioly Discord (BennyTheJett1#3979).

Just so you all are aware, I will post the responses you send in the google form in a similar fashion to how you'd hear a news interview, much like the example below:

Question: What school are you nominating?
Answer: Dank Memes Area Homeschool

Link to the Google Form: https://forms.gle/pxwpbHQz8odCmyBx6
Link to Team of the Week Wikipage: https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Sciol ... f_the_Week

Edit:
  • I've had some people contact me about whether or not they have to be a current member of the team they're nominating. While I don't have a problem with alumni nominating their former schools, if you're going to nominate a school you've never attended, please check with me first.
Last edited by BennyTheJett on May 3rd, 2021, 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author BennyTheJett for the post (total 11):
builderguy135 (May 3rd, 2021, 7:07 pm) • MorningCoffee (May 4th, 2021, 4:01 am) • bernard (May 4th, 2021, 10:01 am) • Nydauron (May 5th, 2021, 7:24 am) • donjuanpond (May 5th, 2021, 5:27 pm) • lumosityfan (May 5th, 2021, 7:10 pm) • gz839918 (May 6th, 2021, 4:56 pm) • AlfWeg (May 7th, 2021, 5:51 am) • kate! (May 7th, 2021, 7:09 am) • Booknerd (May 12th, 2021, 1:11 pm) and one more user
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Re: Scioly Team Of The Week (The Return!)

Post by BennyTheJett »

Alrighty! There were a lot of submissions turned in which I definitely appreciate! I will be going through them in the order that they were submitted (like a first come-first serve basis). That being said, let's meet this week's Team of the Week!

The team of the week is Cumberland Valley High School!
150px-Cvso - Logan Tokle.png
150px-Cvso - Logan Tokle.png (8.16 KiB) Viewed 11680 times
Cumberland Valley High School is a Division C team that competes in the Central Regional of Pennsylvania. They have had a Science Olympiad team since about 1990.

Now for some of the questions:
Question 1: What are some recent achievements your team has made?
Answer: We were 1st at our Regional this year, and placed 3rd at State. In all, our different members across our 3 teams medalled about 630 times in 10 competitions.

Question 2: In a normal year, does your team attend any invitationals? If so, which ones?
Answer: We attend LISO, BAVF, Solon, SOAPS, and SOUP.

Question 3: What are some unique things about your team?
Answer: We host the Eagle Invitational annually. Our high school coach also coaches the team at Eagle View Middle School.

Nominated by LoganTokle123

Team of the Week nominations remain open! If you would like to nominate your team or a team you're familiar with, please fill out the Google Form linked below!
https://forms.gle/YfjPeT5dwf6Ke8oW6
These users thanked the author BennyTheJett for the post (total 5):
Umaroth (May 8th, 2021, 9:15 pm) • twoplustwoisten (May 8th, 2021, 9:25 pm) • LoganTokle123 (May 15th, 2021, 9:27 pm) • bernard (May 23rd, 2021, 10:09 am) • Adi1008 (August 9th, 2021, 11:32 am)

BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

Alrighty! Moving right along, it's time for the 2nd Team of the Week! Reminder that I am moving through the submissions in the order that they were submitted, so if you nominated a team, your team WILL be featured eventually, there are just a lot of other nominations as well.

The Team of the Week this Clarksville Middle School!

For those of you who might not know, Clarksville Middle School is a Division B team who competes in the Central Regional in the state of Maryland. They have existed for about 5 years, and have been steadily improving as a team. They normally attend the following invitationals: NatCat, Eagle Invitational, JHU Invitational, and the Rustin Invitational. When the person who nominated Clarksville was asked what something unique about their team was, they responded "tbh idk we're pretty normal", so they're a pretty normal team in the words of the person who nominated them. As for results, they have been improving as the team has been in existence for a longer period of time. This year, they were 2nd at the Central Maryland Regional, and 3rd at the Maryland Division B state tournament, narrowly missing a Nationals Bid. This was also the largest turnout for their team in its history, which is very promising given the Covid days we live in.

Clarksville.png
Clarksville.png (16.11 KiB) Viewed 11378 times
This application was submitted anonymously.
These users thanked the author BennyTheJett for the post (total 7):
Umaroth (May 15th, 2021, 8:17 pm) • LittleMissNyan (May 16th, 2021, 9:31 am) • Giantpants (May 16th, 2021, 10:07 pm) • bernard (May 23rd, 2021, 10:09 am) • Pebble (June 17th, 2021, 7:49 am) • centslordm (June 17th, 2021, 10:21 am) • Adi1008 (August 9th, 2021, 11:32 am)

BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

Reminder that our team of the week submission form is still open! If you would like to nominate your team or a team you're familiar with, please fill out the Google Form linked below!
https://forms.gle/YfjPeT5dwf6Ke8oW6

Feel free to contact me with any questions!
~Benny

BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

I'm back! Sorry I wasn't able to get TOTW out yesterday, I was quite busy doing other things. Reminder we're going in first come - first serve fashion, so

This week's Team of the Week is Fayetteville Manlius High School!

Fayetteville Manlius (FM) High School is a school in New York that competes in the Division C Mid-State Regional. The team has existed for about 25 years.

Questions:

Question 1: Please list some of the recent achievements of your team. This could include placements at recent tournaments, individual placements, spirit awards, team improvements, etc.

Answer 1: We have placed 1st in the Mid-State Regional Competition since 2000, as well as 3rd in the 2019 NY State competition and 1st in the 2018 and 2017 NY State Competitions. At the 2021 NY State Competition, we placed 2nd in Ornithology, 8th in Geologic Mapping and Sounds of Music, and 9th in Circuit Lab. Most of our more notable achievements, however, are not recent.

Question 2: What invitationals does your team usually attend, if any?

Answer 2: Cornell, Mentor, and SOUP

Answer 3: We host our own annual Science Olympiad Invitational! Although it was not run during the 2021 season, it had been held each year besides this year since 2014 and attracts teams from multiple states to compete, usually bringing in 20-35 teams every year.

FM also always stacks our teams for every competition. The A and B teams are determined during tryouts and are kept the same throughout the entirety of the season. (Not sure if this is unique, but I know a lot of other teams that unstack for several competitions.)

Question 4: Anything else that you would like to share about your team?

Answer 4: Our Science Olympiad program is not huge when compared to other NY schools, despite our larger school size. We typically barely have enough people to fill 2 teams, with few to no people at all getting cut in recent years.

Nominated by: Scispork
These users thanked the author BennyTheJett for the post (total 3):
bernard (May 23rd, 2021, 10:09 am) • Giantpants (May 31st, 2021, 9:14 pm) • Adi1008 (August 9th, 2021, 11:32 am)

BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

Ok, we have fallen off on our timeline. I apologize about the delay, but I kinda just graduated high school so it's been a busy last week. Because of this, I will now release the TOTW on Wednesdays instead of Saturdays to allow teams to all have a week.

This week's ToTW is Mountain View High School!

Mountain View (or as the discord users not "mootan voo") is a Division C program from the Santa Clara Regional or NorCal. The team has been around for a while, but became a full team in about 2014 when it established leadership positions and had a higher number of members.

Questions:

Question 1: Please list some of the recent achievements of your team. This could include placements at recent tournaments, individual placements, spirit awards, team improvements, etc.

Answer 1: This year, Mountain View has won the Northern California state tournament for the first time with a score of 59 and will be going to the national tournament. The team has worked incredibly hard throughout the season; going to eight tournaments so far and winning seven of them. The club as a whole has participated in 11 tournaments so far. This year has also been special due to being online, which has not only allowed Mountain View to participate in more tournaments, but also tournaments across the country for the first time such as MIT, which the team placed third at. Additionally, the team had three teams this year, which is a huge growth from the beginning considering that only seven years ago there were just enough members to form one team.

Answer 2: GGSO, Mira Loma

Answer 3: The team has watch parties for our awards, and to keep the spirit online, custom zoom backgrounds are made for each tournament. There's also a meme competition and custom slack emotes of the most embarrassing pictures we can find of team members and alumni.

This application was submitted anonymously.
These users thanked the author BennyTheJett for the post (total 2):
bernard (June 2nd, 2021, 10:27 pm) • Adi1008 (August 9th, 2021, 11:33 am)

BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

I'm back and more tired than ever before!

This week's Team of the Week is Abington Heights Middle School!

Abington Heights is a Division B team that competes in the Northeast Regional of Pennsylvania. They have had a team for about 10 years. In normal years, they attend the following invitationals: Rustin, Eagle View, and Garnet Valley.

Answer 1: Won bonus round of a meme contest, 4th place in Anatomy and RFTS at states, and 6th place in Circuit lab at states.

Question 2: What are some unique things about your team?

Answer 2: They tend to make Scioly fun in general, messing around during practice, yet at the same time, they work really hard and are happy about it, even if it doesn't show at the awards.

Question 3: Anything else that you would like others to know about your team?

Answer 4: Big shoutout to them for making my last Division B year memorable!

Nominated by: MorningCoffee
4ybdj1-sa739l-ah_logo-transparent.png
4ybdj1-sa739l-ah_logo-transparent.png (28.86 KiB) Viewed 10576 times
These users thanked the author BennyTheJett for the post (total 2):
gz839918 (June 11th, 2021, 10:39 am) • Adi1008 (August 9th, 2021, 11:33 am)

BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

Back at it.

This week's team of the week is The Bay Academy!

The Bay Academy is a Division B school from the New York City Regional of New York. They have had a team for approximately 7 years.

Interview Style Questions:

Answer 1: 1st Place NYC Regional 4 years running, 3rd Place NY State 2nd consecutive year

Answer 2: LISO, Bayard Rustin, Garnet Valley, Cornell

Answer 3: Meteoric rise while still edging closer to Nats every year! Missed Nats by 50 pts 2019, again missed Nats by 25 pts in 2021. We always seem to drop one ball in one event each year which we come back and improve the next year!

Question 4: Anything else that you would like to share about your team?

Answer 4: For a relatively young team, we have a strong school spirit and sense of SciOly family. Always innovating, always making course corrections. We treat the team as a "team" and less as a club or after-school activity.
index.jpg
index.jpg (9.52 KiB) Viewed 10166 times
Nominated by: drcubbin
LiliaS (June 21st, 2021, 11:32 am) • Adi1008 (August 9th, 2021, 11:33 am) • awesomeaidan123 (September 19th, 2021, 7:39 am)

BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

Here we go again!

This week's Team of The Week is Slauson Middle School!

Slauson Middle School is a Division B team from Region 9 of Michigan. They have had a team since 1983, however there have been some gap years, where a team was not fielded. They are the feeder school for Ann Arbor Pioneer High School. They typically attend the Cobra Invitational, and the UMSO (University of Michigan Science Olympiad) Invitational. One fun fact about Slauson is that they never stack their teams at invitationals, meaning that they don't have one "Varsity" team and one "Junior Varsity" team. They also try to not force students in to events, and students can choose which events they try out for. Students can also be on the team to learn, and aren't even forced to compete if they enroll.

Achievements:
  • 2 time Science Olympiad National Champions (1985, 1986)
  • 2021 Michigan Science Olympiad State Champions
  • 14th at the 2021 Science Olympiad National Tournament
  • 2021 Science Olympiad National Tournament Lockheed Martin Spirit Award Winner
  • 2018 Science Olympiad National Tournament DuPont Team Enterprise Award Winner
School Colors:

Slauson's school colors are Red and Yellow.
E2gWOQAXEAIyE_K.jpeg
E2gWOQAXEAIyE_K.jpeg (282.94 KiB) Viewed 9872 times
Nominated by aakoala
Last edited by BennyTheJett on June 26th, 2021, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gz839918 (June 27th, 2021, 10:58 am) • aakoala (June 27th, 2021, 3:54 pm) • Adi1008 (August 9th, 2021, 11:33 am)

Return to “Announcements”