2017 Summer Wiki Drive

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: 2017 Summer Wiki Drive

Post by Unome »

bernard wrote:
dragon_fruit35 wrote:when you haven't been able to edit the wiki for like a year :? :cry:
There are two options. We can either remove the underscore from your username or you can make another account without the underscore just for editing the wiki. Please send me a message for assistance with either.

I plan on looking into solutions for the general issue over the summer, but my current understanding is MediaWiki does not support spaces, underscores, or other special characters.
I'm pretty sure spaces work fine (e.g. John Richardsim). What special characters are broken though? I always thought it was just underscores because they parse as spaces.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Unome wrote:
bernard wrote:
dragon_fruit35 wrote:when you haven't been able to edit the wiki for like a year :? :cry:
There are two options. We can either remove the underscore from your username or you can make another account without the underscore just for editing the wiki. Please send me a message for assistance with either.

I plan on looking into solutions for the general issue over the summer, but my current understanding is MediaWiki does not support spaces, underscores, or other special characters.
I'm pretty sure spaces work fine (e.g. John Richardsim). What special characters are broken though? I always thought it was just underscores because they parse as spaces.
You're right, spaces work. I have limited new usernames to alphanumeric and spacers to avoid new cases.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Hey guys!

We've gotten a really good response to the drive so far! However, if you're dumping notes for study events, I wanted to bring up something to caution against. It's a common practice to use information taken from other sources to help study and to form note sheets. However, we want the wiki to be the work of just students, and not text copied from a different page. So if you're not sure or you don't remember, just take a moment to check to make sure that the text you're uploading is your own work!

Thanks!
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

There's just a couple more days left to make edits for the June period of the drive! Here are the standings so far:

Stubs (at least 1000 bytes added):
1. Tesel (5335; Chem Lab/Physical Properties)

Incomplete (at least 1000 bytes added):
1. Kimpossiblee (11539; Anatomy/Digestive System, Severe Storms/Winter Storms)
2. Raxu (10698; Astronomy/DSOs, Game On, Reach for the Stars)
3. Antoine_ego (5598; Astronomy/DSOs)
4. Tesel (5335; Chem Lab/Physical Properties)
5. Person (4889; Invasive Species List/Aquatic Animals)
6. Whythelongface (4124; Microbe Mission/Diseases List)
7. Entomology (3013; Fossils/Fossil List)
8. Lumosityfan (2763; Astronomy/Star and Planet Formation, Dynamic Planet/Tectonics)
9. Catty6052 (2566; Wind Power)

Outdated (at least 1000 bytes added):
1. Whythelongface (6745; Remote Sensing)
2. Dragonfruit35 (3705; Mission Possible B, Robot Arm)
3. Catty6052 (2566; Wind Power)

Dead End/Orphaned (at least 5 links added):
1. Raxu (7; Ecology/Deciduous Forests, Ezra Tech)

Cleanup (at least 20 lines cleaned up):
1. Panda Weasley (60; Experimental Design)
2. Catty6052 (33; Wind Power)
3. Dragonfruit35 (29; Mission Possible B, Wheeled Vehicle)
4. Dxu46 (28; Experimental Design)
5. Markuswso17 (25; Mission Possible C)
6. Fridaychimp (21; Anatomy/Respiratory System, Wheeled Vehicle)
7. ScienceOlympian (20; Chem Lab/Gas Laws)

Needs Work (tags removed):
1. Raxu (2.5; Ecology/Deciduous Forests, Ezra Tech)
2. Tesel (2; Chem Lab/Physical Properties, Optics)
3. Antoine_ego (1; Astronomy/DSOs)
4. Catty6052 (1; Wind Power)
5. Dragonfruit35 (1; Robot Arm)
6. Kimpossiblee (1; Severe Storms/Winter Storms)
7. Lumosityfan (1; Astronomy/Star and Planet Formation)
8. Meachso (1; Reach for the Stars)
9. ScienceOlympian (1; Chem Lab/Gas Laws)
10. Whythelongface (1; Remote Sensing)
11. Raleway (0.5; Ezra Tech)

Overall (at least 10000 bytes added):
1. Person (56882)
2. Raxu (15895)
3. Antoine_ego (14428)
4. Dxu46 (12805)
5. Whythelongface (11942)
6. Kimpossiblee (11859)
7. Tesel (11367)

At the end of the month I'll give more of an update for the overall state of the wiki drive and its various components, but there's been a lot of good work so far! Remember to keep checking the Needs Work page to see how we're doing with each of the maintenance statistics, and to see what you can help out with! :)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Results have been tallied! There will be an official announcement post later on summarizing the month overall.

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

It's the end of the month! I wanted to thank everyone who made any sorts of edits to the wiki over the month; although some made more than others, all contributions were appreciated in keeping the wiki up-to-date and taken care of! The wiki is a product of how much work every user puts into it, and there's been great improvement over the past month. Of course, there's still work to be done! We have two more months, and a lot of Stubs, Incomplete, and Cleanup tags to get rid of. But we're at very good progress a third of the way through!

Still, some people have gone above and beyond, and so here we recognize them. I'll give a little update for all the categories. There's a link to a Google Sheet containing all of the data included in the drive at the end.

Stubs (WINNER: Tesel)
Stubs are difficult, as many of them are events or tournaments that not many people have any expertise in (rather than Incomplete, where only parts of events are missing). However, Tesel was able to make significant additions to the [wiki]Chem Lab/Physical Properties[/wiki] and the Japanese International Team Wiki, and won the category. There are still many stubs left to be lengthened; for invitational pages, we are mainly looking for more results and general tournament info, and for event pages, we are generally aiming for a size of at least 2,500 bytes. The Ornithology stubs are generally missing pictures and/or descriptions.

Incomplete (WINNER: Kimpossiblee)
Although it took some practice, Kimpossiblee had enough edits that remained, mainly on the [wiki]Severe Storms/Winter Storms[/wiki], to win the category for June. While these edits still require some cleanup, it still counts for the category. Raxu was right behind, with edits from the [wiki]Astronomy/DSOs[/wiki], Game On Wiki, and Reach for the Stars Wiki. Antoine_ego, Tesel, Person, Whythelongface, Entomology, Lumosityfan, and Catty6052 also made significant contributions.

Outdated (WINNER: Whythelongface)
There aren't as many Outdated pages as some other tags, but they're very important in that people using the page might be losing out on current information. Whythelongface added a significant amount of information to the Remote Sensing Wiki to reflect recent changes in the rules, taking them to the top spot in the category. Dragonfruit35 and Catty6052 also excelled in this category, helping with the Mission Possible B Wiki and Wind Power Wiki, respectively.

Dead End-Orphaned (WINNER: Tesel)
An important part of the wiki is making sure pages are accessible through links. Dead ends and orphaned pages represent places where the network is weaker. Tesel took this category by adding 9 total links to and from the Japanese International Team Wiki, which had been one of the most isolated pages on the wiki. Raxu also assisted in this category, adding 7 total links to the [wiki]Ecology/Deciduous Forests[/wiki] and the Ezra Tech Wiki.

Cleanup (WINNER: Raxu)
While Panda Weasley's June 6th edit of the Experimental Design Wiki looks unassuming, it cleaned up a massive 60 lines of the page. However, late in the month, Raxu was able to overcome that very slightly by overhauling the Fermi Questions Wiki, to the tune of 61 lines, earning themselves a first place in the category after earning two other second places. Dxu46 has also helped to clean up a significant portion of the Experimental Design Wiki with 52 lines, to go along with large additions of content as well. Catty6052, Dragonfruit35, Markuswso17, Fridaychimp, ScienceOlympian, and Tesel also made important contributions to Cleanup.

A small note here about cleanup pages: for many pages, a big issue is an overuse on first and second-person perspective (i.e., using words like I, me, we, you, your, etc). While we don't require complete formality, or eliminating these words completely, it can serve as a detriment to the overall quality of a page if such words are used too much. Things like formatting, organization, and avoiding walls of text are important, but for some pages, the Cleanup tag refers to the first and second-person words present.

Needs Work (WINNER: Tesel)
It may have become clear to you that some pages need more help, and more info, than others. However, it's also important to address smaller pages that still require assistance. Therefore, total tag removals caused is an important aspect to consider in such a drive. Both Tesel and Raxu excelled in this (and have excelled throughout the month in many different aspects). In the end, Tesel came out on top, with 1 tag removed for the [wiki]Chem Lab/Physical Properties[/wiki], 3.5 tags removed from the Japanese International Team Wiki, and 1 from the Optics Wiki. Raxu was slightly more diverse in tags, with one removed from each of the [wiki]Ecology/Deciduous Forests[/wiki], Fermi Questions Wiki, and Game On Wiki, and 1.5 from the Ezra Tech Wiki. Others who contribued to tag removals were Antoine_ego, Catty6052, Dragonfruit35, Kimpossiblee, Lumosityfan, Meachso, ScienceOlympian, Whythelongface, Raleway, and Achillesduo.

Another small note: edits from this month will still be considered for future tag removals. There have been many contributions that have helped other pages, but certain aspects of those pages still need additions or cleanup to fully remove the tag. I am keeping track of all edits from these pages, so once the tag is officially removed, the credit will be assigned to users for that month.

Overall (WINNER: Person)
While this drive focuses on certain pages, we also wanted to encourage edits elsewhere as well. This is where Person excelled, as his edits on the [wiki]Invasive Species List/Terrestrial Plants[/wiki], which does not have an Incomplete tag as it had information under all headings before the drive, still occupied more volume than anything else. Person's overall total for the month was an incredible 56,882 bytes. Other users with over 20,000 were Dxu46 (21,518), mainly on the Experimental Design Wiki, and Raxu (20,422), on many different wikis. Users over 10,000 included Antoine_ego (16,260), Tesel (12,730), Whythelongface (11,942), and Kimpossiblee (11,859).

Totals may be seen in this spreadsheet (edits of 0 indicate cleanup happened, but the total net change was negative). If you have any questions about the contents of this sheet, let me know.

Again, many thanks to all who helped in June! Let's hope July and August are both just as productive, if not more! And remember, there are definitely exalted medals up for grabs here. ;)

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

I'm going to try to get a quick update on for the July standings thus far up either tomorrow or the following day. We've really had a lot of good work done to cut down on Stubs and Cleanup recently; check the Needs Work page for progress!

We still have a lot of Incomplete pages, so if you're interested in helping and have expertise on any of these pages, consider helping out! July might be ending soon, but you'll have a whole other month to get recognized in August!

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Just hopping in here with a quick update on the July standings! A descriptive summary and an update on overall ranks will be given after the month has completed. In the meantime, here are the notable contributors thus far. I will not be listing events because we had a lot of diversity this time around, and I'm limiting it to a maximum of five for this summary post. For full statistics please see the Google sheet!

Stubs (at least 1000 bytes added):
1. Person (9708)
2. NeilMehta (9060)
3. Dxu46 (2541)
4. Raxu (2041)
5. 49ers (1786)

Incomplete (at least 2000 bytes added):
1. Person (24403)
2. JasperKota (12705)
3. Raxu (10677)
4. NeilMehta (9060)
5. Whythelongface (4411)

Outdated (at least 1000 bytes added):
1. Dragonfruit35 (2548)
2. Dxu46 (1866)
3. Catty6052 (1250)

Dead End/Orphaned (at least 5 links added):
1. Raxu (6) [eliminated all dead end/orphaned tags]

Cleanup (at least 20 lines cleaned up):
1. Catty6052 (774)
2. Raxu (273)
3. Person (217)
4. Dragonfruit35 (130)

Needs Work (tags removed):
1. Raxu (9)
2. Catty6052 (8.5)
2. Person (8.5)
4. Dragonfruit35 (3)
5. Dxu46 (2.5)

Overall (at least 10000 bytes added):
1. Person (35025)
2. Raxu (19333)
3. JasperKota (12705)

Keep in mind these are just for July; stay tuned for the overall results update!

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by 49ers »

I sure wish I would have seen these posts before yesterday afternoon, but nevertheless I shall contribute as much as possible.
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Another great month is in the books! June was a really productive month, and was going to be tough to follow up, but a lot of good work happened in July! The total volume of edits was slightly down, but the removal of tags went way up. We've set ourselves up really well for the final month, and hopefully we can get some of those tags down even further!

The Google Sheet has been updated, so it has all of the stats for July, as well as June and the total values. On to the awards!

Stubs (WINNER: Person)
Stubs were a highly competitive category this month. Despite NeilMehta's copious additions to the Potions and Poisons Wiki, Person's diversity in edits to various pages, including the Ornithology pages (which have sat as stubs for a long time now) and the Endangered, Extinct, and Exotic Animals Wiki were able to edge this one out. 49ers' edits to the Nuclear Science Lab Wiki and [wiki]Severe Storms/Atmospheric Rivers[/wiki], Dxu46's additions to the [wiki]Ecology/Deserts[/wiki], and JasperKota's help with the Balloon Launch Glider Wiki were also significant.

Incomplete (WINNER: Person)
Incomplete was another category that had a lot of help. Person ran away with this one, with mainly edits for ID events. And yes, while the ID events do lend themselves to high-volume edits, it is nonetheless an important aspect of the event that should be completed, at least to a fuller extent. JasperKota's work on the [wiki]Invasive Species List/Aquatic Animals[/wiki] and Balloon Launch Glider Wiki, raxu's work on the Reach for the Stars Wiki, and NeilMehta's additions to the Potions and Poisons Wiki and [wiki]Microbe Mission/Diseases List[/wiki] were also very notable, as were edits by Whythelongface, Dxu46, 49ers, Fridaychimp, and Tm-scioli.

Outdated (WINNER: Dragonfruit35)
Again, there were not as many outdated pages as some other tags, but it's very important to minimize these. Dragonftuit35 took the honors here by updating the Mission Possible B Wiki to reflect recent rule additions and alterations. Dxu46 also made significant contributions to updating the Mission Possible B Wiki, and Catty6052 made additions to the Wind Power Wiki. Only the Air Trajectory Wiki, Bottle Rocket Wiki, Bridge Building Wiki, and Wind Power Wiki have tags still; if we can get all of these removed in August, that would be massively successful.

Dead End-Orphaned (WINNER: Raxu)
Raxu basically removed all doubt about this category. By integrating pages such as the Division A Wiki, Ezra Tech Wiki, and Team of the Week Archive Wiki, they eliminated all link-related tags from the wiki. Their overall total of 13 also beats Tesel's overall total of 9, so we have our first drive-long winner as well!

Cleanup (WINNER: Catty6052)
Cleanup was the category that really got turned up in July. June was not a bad month, but I think added clarity about cleanup helped people to focus more on these pages, and specifically four in particular. Catty6052 cleaned up an incredible 867 total lines (again, this is based on my window taking up half of my screen), accounting for 9 total tag removals relating to cleanup. In case you can't tell, that's a lot; such a major contribution is a massive help to maintaining the quality of our resource. They weren't alone; raxu took credit for 294 total lines themselves, Person accounted for 217 lines, and Dragonfruit35 helped with 130 lines. All four of these users have helped with cleanup with a wide variety of pages, and have helped the number of Cleanup tags to be reduced to 6; a MASSIVE decrease from 29. Awesome work, guys.

Needs Work (WINNER: Catty6052)
Due to all the work in terms of cleanup, the number of tag removals was much higher than last month as well. This was also helped by pages that were worked on in June getting a tag removal in July. Catty6052 led the way in a very close race with 9.5 tag removals, with raxu just behind at 9 removals, and Person at 8.5 removals. The overall race is close as well, with raxu currently leading the way by 3 removals. Other users with multiple tag removal credits in July were Dragonftui35, Dxu46, Fridaychimp, NeilMehta, JasperKota, and 49ers. The48thYoshi, Markuswso17, and Panda Weasley also got credit.

Overall (WINNER: Person)
As I mentioned, the overall edit volumes were slightly down this month, with only four users topping 10000; this is mostly because Cleanup edits tend not to be accompanied by high volumes. They're mostly familiar names; Person contributed 41,149 total bytes, most of which coming in ID pages; raxu contributed 19,360 bytes, much of which came from the Reach for the Stars Wiki and Anatomy and Physiology Wiki; JasperKota contributed 15,988 to the [wiki]Invasive Species List/Aquatic Animals[/wiki] and Balloon Launch Glider Wiki, and NeilMehta worked on the Potions and Poisons Wiki and [wiki]Microbe Mission/Diseases List[/wiki].

Again, totals may be seen in this spreadsheet. If you have any questions about the contents of this sheet, let me know. I'll also be posting an overall standings update through July soon, and hopefully an August update midway through the month.

Only one month left! It's already been a wildly successful drive, but we still have some pages to help! We have a lot of Stub and Incomplete pages left, and I already mentioned the importance of the Outdated pages. See the Needs Work page for the pages that still need work, and if you have any questions, either reply here, start a talk page on the wiki, or message me here or on chat.

Thanks! :)

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

Return to “Announcements”